1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have contacted Nick Calathes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jul 13, 2015.

1. ksny15

ksny15 Member

Rubio is way better it's not even remotely close.

2. Rokman

Rokman Member

If this is the case, what is Morey doing going after him??

3. Exiled

Exiled Member

So basically he is Dorsey in PG body

4. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't follow this Calathes fellow. What is Rubio better at specifically. Hearing the skillets, the 2 sound very similar. Is Rubio better at passing, finishing, defending, shooting, what?

New housing project in downtown Houston maybe?

5. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

Yeah Not sure..

6. malakas

malakas Member

the interest is that he's someone you can get for free and offers 2/3 of what you need. He can defend 1-3.

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

8. malakas

malakas Member

no it isn't. If it was it would be all over the greek media esp the PAO mouthpiece sites. Sportando is misinforming.

I just read an article in Gazzetta, which is the PAO most affiliated site, and it says that there are more teams in him than the Rockets.
    Kings, Dallas ,OKC and Indy. and he has the qo from Memphis.
    It also says that he's been told that Conley may be traded???? But I don't buy this lol

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

No, but he shoots a respectable enough % from the field, he's a good defender, averaged over 1 steal in just 15 minutes, he has better then a 2 to 1 assist to turnover ratio. He's just 26, he's got great size 6'6 210 for the point, and we need a backup point.

This is an interesting read on shooting and how it can be effected by different offenses and surrounding player, it specifically mentions how playing with the Grizzles killed Vince Carters 3pt %, and how much playing with players like Lebron (Harden) can help players shooting %'s.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/2015-nba-free-agency-3-point-shooter-danny-green-demarre-carroll/

It may mean nothing, but it gives me hope that maybe Calathes would improve his shooting if he signed with us. Because in college, Calathes actually shot a whopping 38% on 350 3pt attempts in his 2 seasons which is very good. His FT% was also 71% on 400 attempts.

Another interesting thing is that Calathes has been stuck behind Conley and Udrih for his whole career with the Grizz, but he actually started for a 7 game stretch last year where he averaged 36 minutes per game over that stretch he actually averaged

15 points, 5 rebounds, 5 assist and 2.5 steals. Shooting 50/40/75 shooting 22 3 PT attempts over that 7 game period.

Again, may mean nothing, but perhaps with a bigger role he has the potential to expand into a better player, to see the contrast to his college stats, and his starting stats, he may just have confidence problems or just have a hard time getting in a grove when only getting 15 mpg.

I'd love to sign Calathes, personally.

10. ivenovember

ivenovember Member

Sounds painful

1 person likes this.
  11. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

I'd love to see cyberx thread that's locked to everyone but cyberx. Surely this would be a major hit.

12. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I just want to rub his beautiful bald(ing) head.

13. Fantasma Negro

Ew Nick Calathes is terrible. Just trade for a pg alre4

14. malakas

malakas Member

Yes the Grizzlies system kills all the players shooting.
    However, Calathes ever since he became a pro never shot well. Now maybe he can be a respectable shooter in the Rockets system, better than with the Griz. I don't think that Bev is a lights out shooter either anyway.

Don't forget that we too also need a playmaker. It's vital for our players shooting numbers. If we can get one, then all the teams roleplayers will rise.

15. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's crazy that he's only attempted 129 3pt shots being a 6 year pro though, I'v never watched Greece basketball and am not sure how relevant the 3 ball is over their or how much they asked of him to shoot. But I feel like he just isn't shooting enough, he's only attempted 130 3pt shots in the last 6 years, McHale said Rockets players are required to shoot 300 - 500 hundred 3's a day.

So very interesting, and yes like you said, we can definitely use another play maker, as well as a good defender who has size.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

This is suggestive of struggling to shoot at the NBA level. Maybe he might get marginally better in Houston, I am not sure about that.

The only way to acquire him would be with part of the MLE, unless K-Pap gets traded. If he comes cheap, I am ok with it.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Parsons is the new superstar and soon to be first option and he does not hang out with foot soldiers like Calathes any longer.

19. Chamillionaire

He's definitely better than any other options we have at the back up position and I didn't realize he was that big. 6'6 210?!?!

About the cyberx thread, all good things must come to an end.