1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. abcd1234

abcd1234 Contributing Member

Is something like this realistic? Throw in draft picks to balance out the trade.

http://games.espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=6gq8ufr

Rockets In

Danny Granger
    Samuel Dalembert

Rockets Out

Jordan Hill
    Jared Jeffries
    Chase Budinger
    Yao Ming
    Knicks 2012 First Round Pick

Why the Rockets do it? Get a rental in Dalembert for this season, and potentially a star in Danny Granger.

Pacers In

Yao Ming
    Chase Budinger
    Kings 2011 Second Round Draft Pick (Early second round)
    Kncks 2011 First Round Pick

Pacers Out

Jeff Foster
    Danny Granger

Why the Pacers do it? Unload a huge contract in Danny Granger, Get 2 draft picks, and also a prospect in Chase Budinger.

Kings In
    Jordan Hill
    Jared Jeffries
    Jeff Foster

Kings Out

Samuel Dalembert
    2011 Second Round Draft Pick

Why the Kings do it? They are getting Jordan Hill for a second round pick, which sounds reasonable, while also maintaining the expiring amount of Dalembert.

It might seem like we are giving too much, but the depth chart does look good.

Lowry/Brooks/Ish
    Martin/Lee
    Granger/Battier/Williams
    Scola/Hayes/Patterson
    Dalembert/Miller

2. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

If the Rox get Dalembert, it would be with the intention of re-signing him to a reasonable contract after this season.

3. thething

thething Contributing Member

No. The Pacers will require much much more to get rid of Granger.

4. thething

Also, the Rockets do not have their 2011 pick available to trade.

5. thething

If a Yao trade does not happen, shouldn't they cut Yao after the trade deadline to open a roster spot? They won't need his bird rights. It depends on other moves to know if they'll need the extra spot but cutting Yao seems like the most logical thing if he is not traded.

6. dartherus

dartherus Member

It would be a nosense waiving him for free....

FO should get some good stuff for a HUGE EXPIRING, an exception and more interesting if you realize that such expiring has the salary partially covered by insurance....

IF FO would plan to waive him anyway...it would be dumb not to get anyhting in return, don;t you think?

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Yao+Jeffries+Budinger+Scola+2012 first rounder (whichever is tradeable) For Melo+Harrington+Nene

Nene/Miller/Hayes
    Hayes/Patterson/Harrington
    Anthony/Battier/Harrington
    Martin/Lee
    Lowry/Brooks

8. dartherus

dartherus Member

I'd truly like to understand, what would be thepint of getting Melo for half a season rental?

Why would it be wiser to invest such assets, in a rental and not in players who will contribute for at least 2 season?

Did I miss something? explain me, please...

9. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Morey might think that the new CBA will make it in Carmelo's interest to stay a Rocket ($$$), or there may be some new rules that make it harder for him to leave. I think Morey believes that if he can get Carmelo, he'll be able to convince him to stay.

10. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Dartherus- I believe there to be a decent chance we could resign Carmelo, or at the very least sign and trade him.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Speculation, but I believe we'll see the current S&T parameters reworked so that teams like Cleveland and Toronto will be in line for real compensation if they franchise their LeBrons and Boshs.

Though, you ask me, I kill the S&T altogether. I hate it - completely murders the spirit of the Larry Bird rule.

12. BreakYoSelfFool

Thats the bet. Melo will go with the sure thing and not want to see what happens with the labor agreement. What if NBA contracts are no longer guaranteed, or if there is a franchise tag? or regulations on free agent signing? What if the max contract amount is greatly lowered and max contract length is greatly lowered? What if Melo gets seriously injured?

Melo will probably not be willing to take a risk that one or more of those things will happen. He didnt even want to cut off a year of certainty from his last deal to be a free agent last summer

13. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

The S&T is the entire reason that teams like Cleveland and Toronto get anything at all in return for their stars. Why eliminate this mechanism when you can SUPPLEMENT it instead.

One idea I had was to offer up a compensatory pick to a team if they officially extend a max contract offer to their own unrestricted free agent but still lose him to another team. Those picks could be handed out after the lottery (starting at #15), with the free agent's new team losing its pick if it's not in the lottery (in fairness to the other teams picking in the mid to late first round). This could also be an exception to the Stepien rule.

Not sure yet how this idea would apply to S&Ts, but perhaps it would slightly increase a team's leverage when faced with losing a star. You could also except these types of "max S&Ts" from the Stepien rule so that teams can get more first rounders in this instance.

Regardless, S&Ts still serve the purpose of getting teams some form of compensation for losing their players. I would not eliminate them if you want to help those teams.

14. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Wow, good idea! I really like the idea of giving the "giving team" a free pick.

but how is that going to work if some team like the Heat, who signed 2 mega stars, going to work? they didn't even have their own draft pick in 2010, lo

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it's not foolproof. I guess they'd have only one pick to lose. Maybe they lose their pick the following year.

Also, the league would need to look out for teams trying to structure deals where they get the extra pick, even when they had no intention of re-signing the player in the first place.

This idea is in its early stages. :grin:

16. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

We get Melo yet?!

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

What they get is worthless and it kills the spirit of the Larry Bird rule. It completely circumvents the idea that the "home team" can offer their own stars more money and years as a competitive advantage against losing them.

If the FAs want to walk away for a little less money and one less year, they're free to do so. Only in rare occasions (basically, if you were all NBA 1st or 2nd team or Finals MVP in the last two seasons) would I want to see teams able to hamper a player's free agency with a franchise tag.

It also removes the incentive for teams to keep payrolls near/under the cap. Owners cry about player salaries, but Miami this year is going to tear up the league with a modest payroll (#20). They're going to talk about a hard cap this summer...but if the teams just stayed at the cap line instead of the tax line, the finances would be fine. Max S&Ts and an annual MLE make it way too easy to fly above the cap.

I'm all for the new CBA to add in some Franchise tag that ensures a Cleveland will get some level of compensation for losing their heart and soul to Miami, and I'm sure it'll be more worthwhile than the TE and worthless picks they received.

Kill the S&T. It sucks.

18. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I will always love the Rockets. On principle, if there is a strike I will spend much less money going to games when play does resume. I know it has very little to do with the Rockets, but I will be mad.

Plus, I am worried it will kill the momentum the league has going.

19. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I am leaning on your side. Everyone gets to designate a franchise player and you just eliminate the sign and trade for franchise players. Make it mandatory that any team who signs a franchise player loses 2 first round picks. I would also make the differences in percentages you can sign your own players and another teams player higher in favor of the Original team and maybe even add 1 more contract year. In other words make the Larry Bird rule even stronger.

Don't eliminate player movement just majorly penalize players who want to move to Chicago, New York, LA, Boston, Miami. If you want to go to a major market fine. Just know your going to throw alot of money away to do so. It's pathetic that Boston and LA have so many championships.

20. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Taking a "franchise player" from another franchise should cost 25% more than the max to their salary cap.