1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets exploring a Yao Ming trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets25, Dec 27, 2010.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

If we get granted the DPE for Yao's injury it will last until October, right? If we trade him, would we be able to reacquire him in the offseason with his own DPE?

2. Prince

Prince Member

I thought they want to keep Yao if the price i right. Does this mean that Yao is asking for more?

3. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Suns will trade Nash provided Nash wants them do so. You think Nash wants to come to Houston?

Think more along the lines of an owner like Heisley. Or even in Golden State with their attention on someone like Yao. I can easily see a Yao for Thabeet/Mayo deal surfacing granted salaries are far, far off from right here.

Or even Charlotte to get some attention and grab some limelight. Teams that need some exposure.

4. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

If the NBA is still ongoing, then perhaps, if Yao would like to.

If you think we're going to catch & bait a team with this trade Yao, then sign Yao, I think you guys are thinking too far-fetched.

The Rockets won't work under such circumstances because their reputation would take a mighty hit. And, again,the CBA....

5. RainbowPoop

RainbowPoop Rookie

Could Yao be used in any Melo deal?
    Can we doubt DM not to make him a piece in the puzzle for Melo?

Just in Yao & JJ we have 17mill in expiring mula, Add AB, a pick, perhaps some other players.

Keeping our starting 5 now, adding Melo and a Nene to this team we could be contending.

Lowry/lee
    Martin/Williams
    Melo/Shane
    Scola/ Hill/chuck
    Nene/brad

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Team is nice, but it's hardly that much better than the Nuggets two years ago, and most of all...it isn't New York.

Carmelo doesn't want to come here. He wants to be a Knick, and on a lesser scale a Magic or Bull if such an option were available. Since it's not, he wants to be a Knick. If you think otherwise, he'd already have been a New Jersey Net. No team is offering a superior package; Favors, 3-4 1st rounders, expirings.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well, Houston was one of the teams reported wanting to rent Melo for the rest of the season.

8. clos4life

clos4life Member

This is exactly how I feel. I don't like we have to do it, but come on, we have to do it. No player is greater than the team, simple as that. Specially one as injury prone as Yao.

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Key word: reported

10. jsmee2000

jsmee2000 Contributing Member

This statement clearly summarizes my thoughts...

The only problem I see with this is that if Yao Ming decides to come back to the Rockets for the 2010-2011 season he might be out of shape because the new team will really not care about his physical condition. The new team clearly would want him for the financial flexibility/relief that he brings. Consequently, why would they invest $$$ on a player that will not matter.

11. CXbby

CXbby Member

Exactly. There is no way in hell that the Rockets are doing this behind Yao's back. Not just because Yao is Yao, a stand up guy and great human being. But because the Rockets have every intention of retaining Yao in some capacity or another even after he retires. They want Yao to forever be associated with the Rockets, even from just a pure business sense.

Yao on the other hand is extremely loyal, as seen by his national team commitments, but also abides by a code of honor. We saw this with the Nike/Reebok fiasco early in his career. I think Nike tried to low ball him, then offered him an oversized contract once Yao was about to sign with Reebok. Yao took the smaller contact anyways. This tells me that if the Rockets were to try to trade him behind his back, they would jeopardize their relationship with him. NO WAY they do that.

So most likely it is playing out like you described. And "sad" isn't really the way I would describe the way I feel about it. Moving, touching... A legacy unfulfilled. There was never a lack of trying from his part. He already gave his heart to Houston, and there might be parting gift yet...

A Rocket for life regardless.

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but with the exception of a year or two, we've been firing blanks for over a decade.

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just to be clear, i wouldn't want to rent anyone. If he was not going to sign an extension with us, then we should deal our new found fortunes with some other team. If it wasn't for their contracts, i would want Iguodala and Brand.

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

right?

the :don't rebuild...reload" comment doesn't make any sense to me for where this franchise has been.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If we trade him and a team takes him on purely for financial reasons and never expects him to play for them, is it within NBA rules that they would set him free again immediately and he could just continue to rehab in Houston?

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There is no rehab going on......he has to let his bone heal, before he can even think of rehabbing.

DD

17. CXbby

CXbby Member

New management only in place the last 4 years, all tied down by Tmac/Yao. Re-build/loading only started a year ago, if that. Give them a chance. They should not bear the sins of the father.

18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Well, I'm sure there are things that could be done to stay in shape...swimming, aqua gymnastics, shooting the ball while sitting on a chair or standing still, or whatever...the aim of my question is to not let him build ties to some other team, but whether it is possible to do something that is purely a financial transaction but never forces him to relocate.

19. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

You know that earlier post you made about Paul and Okafor? That actually seems like it would work, but my only problem with that is would Paul sign an extension with us?

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Ah, gotcha, yes of course they can do that, and I am sure that any trade would be 100% that...

The team trading for him would have to wave the required physical.

DD