1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets brass planning to discuss bringing in Mike Brown as an assistant to help defensive

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 12, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

S you are saying he hasn't helped Dwight develop his post game?

I know your agenda.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Thanks for adding something useful to the thread instead of the tireless complaining this forum has become a haven for.

Brown has led some quality defenses in the past and I think it would be a solid hire, however I agree, we need some consistency. Losing Sampson mid season was a disaster and had a clear effect on our defense.

3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

sadly they have to fire or force Mchale's resignation...JVG would be fine if he comes with an offensive mind...cause JVG will get the best defensively from each and every player on this team.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To be fair, I would be shocked if pretty much every available option wasn't being "discussed". The question of the matter is will they reach out to that guy, and will that guy have interest?

One name I have yet to hear seriously discussed is Scott Skiles or even Avery Johnson. Mike Brown is in the same vain of head coaches who flamed out in their most recent stints, but I think one of these guys will not mind going to Houston... the only question is, will the Rockets want to bring in a guy that will either be out in a year or two, or will be pining for McHale's job behind closed doors?

It seems more likely given the circumstances, that the Rockets probably end up going with an up and comer that doesn't have these worries to go along with, but someone who will have the ear of Harden & co. Enter someone like a Bruce Bowen. However, if a guy like Skiles, Avery, or Brown is heavily interested in dedicating himself to turning around this teams defense, I can't see the Rockets not jumping at the opportunity.

5. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I've given him credit for that even though it's unknown how much is due to McHale or Dream. But it's not like Dwight is the second coming of Wilt out there. He still turns the ball over way too much and almost never kicks it back out once he receives it in the post. And when Dwight's got it going inside, the rest of the team is shut out of the offense and that was a major problem in the playoffs when Harden and Parsons bricked shots late in games.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I meant as the top "defensive assistant," similar to Sampson (but better), the guy that sits next to McHale.

7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

the designated bearer of real-time hyperventilation reports :grin:

8. thedude077

thedude077 Member

He's going to be our Wade Philips.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think anybody said anything along the lines of Morey looking stupid, probably just paranoia exhibited by the Morey cult worshipers on here tbh. But since we are on the topic, bringing McHale back is a pretty stupid indefensible (no pun intended) move

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Something like that. :-D-

11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

As much hate as Mike Brown gets...I'd gladly take him as an assistant.

13. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

We will hire Mike Brown as the new head assistant coach, then let him go to another team and be the head coach just before playoff next year.

Just like Mike Brown been fired by Cavs twice, we will be screwed by the head assistant coach twice.

14. FlyingBeagles

FlyingBeagles Member

cyberx, can you share your insights about the Rockets brass decision to bring back McHale?

Do they really believe he will be the coach to bring championship(s) to H-Town? Many fans have expressed concern with his lack of decision-making, in-game adjustment and late-game execution (i.e. Lillard's and Steve Blake's buzzer-beater 3s)

Thank you in advance. Anything you can share will be useful to loyal fans here.

15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mike Brown is a clown. I don't want him anywhere near our Rockets

16. count_dough-ku

I would hope any assistant from this point forward who wants a job with the Rockets would have to sign a clause in their contract promising to remain with the team through the end of the season. And in the case of assistants who are hired on as head coaches during the season, they don't need to leave before the postseason. It's not like they have to recruit players the way college coaches do.

17. HMMMHMM

HMMMHMM Contributing Member

Gimme a break with "facts". Raw points per game allowed? GFTO.

The Cavs were 19th in DRtg last year. For a supposedly defense-minded coach that's not good no matter how you slice it, never mind that number being skewed by the East being so terrrrrrible this year. If you adjust for strength of opponent offense the Cavs were 22nd, behind such defensive juggernauts as the Denver Nuggets, Orlando Magic, Sacramento Kings and Dallas Mavericks.

Mike Brown is pretty much the only coach left that is super-aggressive in defending essentially all ball-screens, with their backside rotations consistently being all over the place.

Again, there's no denying that he was a good defensive coach a while back. But the league has evolved. Mike Brown has not.

1 person likes this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

At one time, long ago, Mike Brown was an elite defensive assistant coach with the Spurs. His scheme was excellent, but the league has adapted and Mike Brown has mostly just walked around throwing his hands in the air while trying to figure out how to be a head coach..... part of his problem is that he is VERY stubborn.

19. count_dough-ku

Very stubborn? Well thankfully neither Morey nor McHale fit that description.:rolleyes:

20. joeymontana

joeymontana New Member

This would be great. We will have 2 'Starting' Head coach caliber on the bench for next season.