1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Nuggets agree to trade Camby to Clippers for second-round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by user, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

I like this move. I think it weakens both teams. No way Nene and Martin stay healthy enough to man the frontline in Denver, and Camby will either get hurt, or be completely redundant next to Kaman.

Helps the rockets.

2. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

this isn't bad for Denver, they are saving so much money, like 20 million immediately, 40 million later on.

3. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Probably not.

Lets analyze this trade really quickly:

-Immediate Cap relief (only other team that could have given them this is Memphis).

-They didn't care to get expiring contracts, just get the contract out of the way, which brings me back to bullet 1.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Camby isn't a terrible replacement for Brand, actually. You can't run post up plays for him, but he'll do similar things on the defensive end and he can hit that mid range jumper that has become Brand's bread and butter the last couple years. Not sure what better options the Clippers had.

5. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

this is what crossed my mind aswell.

as of right now both teams suffer.

Clippers have obviously decided against throwing big money at J-Smoove. Either that or they figured he wasnt interested and they thought crikey we better spend some of our cap or we'll get nothing.

they have sold themself out.

Nugs should benefit from the cap relief in the future, but unlikely they get someone as immediately influential as Camby.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This should show all those naysayers out there that sometimes you can get something for nothing.

DD

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

This thread is further evidence that the majority of you really have no idea what you are talking about. Camby is complete garbage. The outcry here is hilarious.

8. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

Does this mean that the Clippers have moved on and Walsh is going to look for another buyer for Zach?

9. rz04

rz04 Member

Like more proof for morons to post more because they don't know how the cap space works.

Not saying you DD.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that it would be stupid for the Rockets to chase Camby, but he isn't complete garbage.

Sure he isn't a defensive monster, but at least he gets you 10+ rpg and 3+ bpg. I think next to Kaman (since I assume they plan to start him (Camby) at PF) Camby is actually going to look pretty good.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I disagree he's "garbage" however I wouldnt want him on the Rocks, even if we could of obtained him which due to our cap situation we were far from in a position to.

that is what posters need to understand instead of jumping straight in (presumably without reading any of the thread) and posting their frustration that we missed out on Camby - We could of sent them more than just a second rd pick - etc etc.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

You're missing my point. they got him for a 2nd rounder. Camby isnt the "Best" defender and he might as well be "overrated" but the fact is, he can give you 3 blocks on any given night and pull down 10+ rebounds... hows that for a 2nd rounder?

13. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Fox shows him making 11.25m and 10.9m. I know the Nugs must have asked for a first but the Clips probably said no and the Nugs were so desparate to dump him with no other choice because the Clips were the only team with the cap space to take him. Camby is old, overpaid and injury prone and there are questions on how he will fit alongside Kaman, not sure if its a slam dunk trade for the Clips. Denver has been so disappointing with the talent they have and all the 1st round exits that they had to do something.

14. tested911

tested911 Member

What if everyone knew in the draft a guy was going to give you 10+ rebounds,close to 3 blocks, and 10pts per game for a career? Would he be a 2nd round pick? Hell no he would be in the top 3 for sure..

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

True that, great trade for the Clippers. He may be overrated, but dude definetly has some significant game.

You can't teach 13 rebounds.

16. hooroo

hooroo Member

17. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

His stats are more than likely going to take a hit. Kaman is a good rebounder as well as shotblocker.

18. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Keep in mind the timing of this trade. The Nuggets have an approximately $13.5M luxury tax payment due in the next two weeks. That can't be sitting too well with management. This was a DESPERATE attempt to dump salary. As others have posted, the Clippers were the only team in the league (yes, the ONLY team, since Memphis will not use its cap space) capable of taking on Camby's contract (which, according to DraftExpress.com, pays him $11.25M in 2008-09 and $10.9M in 2009-10).

If the Nuggets were truly that desperate for luxury tax relief (they had the fourth highest payroll in the league), then this was basically the ONLY option they had.

That being said, I agree that neither the Nuggets nor the Clippers will be very good next season. Go Rockets.

19. AGBee

AGBee Member

All it took was letting go of Brand! What a bargain! :D

20. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Obviously, but defensively this is a vast, vast improvement over Timmy T or Zbo