1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Nuggets agree to trade Camby to Clippers for second-round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by user, Jul 15, 2008.

1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

If they trade the TE for another player, then the cap relief would be gone. Wouldn't it?

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You beat me to it. This has to be the plan. I think they need to use the TE this summer instead of waiting.

3. Tornadoofsoul6

Meh, who knows what Denver is planning.

First thing that popped to me would be something like LA trades Camby and a first to New York for Zach Randolph. Then New York moves David Lee for their TE and maybe a pick, hell it may even be LAC's 2nd rounder. Only if New York is wanting to move Gallinari to the 4 and keep Chandler at the 3.

4. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

I dont understand some of you. You say Camby isnt a good defender and only "pads" his stats which makes no sense seeing stats are a vital indicator of a player's production.. and if he's popping out 4 blocks a game, Id be happy to get a guy like that for a 2nd rounder

Great steal by Clippers

5. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Camby can play the 4.

That's what he was when he first came into the league.

Opposing teams will have a tough time getting to the glass or driving the lane against Kaman and Camby. And Thornton at the 3 creates matchup problems as well because he's long and can hit the 3 ball.

All in all, no risk high reward for the Clippers.

They gave up a 2nd round pick, and more importantly, Camby's number comes off the books in 2010. Just like with Mobley's and Tim Thomas's.

It's a lot better move then locking up a Iguodola or a Josh Smith long term.

6. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

So, with Najera and Camby gone are the Nuggets going to depend on Nene and Martin in the post, or do they have some more moves to make? The Nuggets seem to be going the wrong way.

7. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Watch basketball. It's like a player with a bunch of steals -sometimes (usually even) that's an indicator that they hustle on defense. But sometimes the player is actually sacrificing team defense while they play the lanes looking to pad their stats with steals.

Blocks can be the same. For instance, Yao Ming doesn't get nearly as many blocked shots. But how many times do people drive into the lane only to find Yao standing there playing D and so they decide to pass or turn around. There is no blocked shot because there is no shot. Yao's defensive presence prevented the shot from even going up in the first place.

Camby wants the shot to go up so he can try to block it. Sometimes he fails to get the block.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Perhaps the Clippers were getting nowhere in negotiating a S&T for one of the big name restricted free agents? Camby best available trade? He's a far better option at the 4 than Tim "Once in while" Thomas is.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Jamaal Tinsley

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Spot on.

But dont use that as an argument against the greatest player of all time will you.

the guy i'm thinking of blocked a few shots.

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

12 years ago. Now he's 34.

That last sentence made me laugh, you've gotta be kidding me if you want Camby for 2 years over 2 rising stars.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Camby is owed close to 8 million each of the next two years. So, how are the Clippers able to acquire him for only a pick? The NBA CBA is still a mystery to me.

I guess the Rockets would not have been able to do something similar without going over the LT. And, clearly the Nuggets weren't interested in taking back salary in exchange for Camby.

13. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

WERD. Camby's team defense is HORRID. Anyone who watched even a single game from the Lakers/Nugs (or any Nuggets game for that matter) series would know this.

14. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

...and thats exactly what a lot of posters on this thread have failed to consider and need to.

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Clipps are under the cap since Brand left. Camby's salary is only 8mil, I assumed more. He is a bargain at 8mil IMO. For a big man.

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So if you're under the cap, salaries don't have to match in a trade?

17. Tornadoofsoul6

The Clippers just absorbed Camby's contract with the free cap space.

18. lastmanstanding

If you're under the cap, no.

But one 2nd rounder only? I'd expect a former DPOY albeit one of the lesser ones would be worth a first and 2nd rounder at least.

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Clippers are no where near the salary cap, the Rockets are near the LT.

20. TmacsRockets

TmacsRockets Rookie

Are you trying to tell me Denver couldn't get more than that for Camby???

:confused: