1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Nick Young was offered for a 2nd rounder: Morey denied

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 9, 2016.

1. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

in the new cba? all he has to do is have a decent year and he can get a good contract. if solomon hill can, so can he.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This is a preview of the kind of moves dantoni will make once morey is fired

3. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

Then I would take MDA over Morey right now, if he wasn't so hung up on Ennis and Brewer. That's what makes me lose my confidence in him. We need a deep team of offensively talented 2nd unit players that can all get their own shots, handle the rock and hopefully pass. They don't need to be allstars, and there are players out there like this that can be gotten for little to nothing in terms of today's NBA salaries.

Sometimes you need to play to your strengths and stop trying to build a balanced offensive and defensive team. Our defense is so bad anyway, that I would rather have players like Gay (starting), Beasley, N. Young, J. Lin, L. Barbosa, etc. to run on our second unit. A team can only give up so many points on defense anyway, because teams will miss some shots even if all of them are wide open. So we could with those teams at least teach them to all colapse on the paint area and deny layups or points in the paint and give up some 3 pointers, because most NBA teams are not great 3pt teams. We could probably have all those players right now on our team but Lin, if Morey had really wanted them and targeted them this year, and only gave up maybe Ariza our of our starting lineup to get them...or maybe even kept him too. Imagine:

Harden/JLin/Bev(hurt)
    Gordon/KJ/Barbosa
    Gay/Ariza/N.Young
    Anderson/DMo/Beasley
    Capela/Nene/Harrell

We could compete with anyone in the league with that team because of the 2nd and 3rd unit. Then next season you go for another star by packaging two or three of these players after having great seasons in an MDA offense.

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

5. Mkieke

Mkieke Member

Offense isn't an issue, Swaggy doesn't offer much. In current form of team the 2nd rounder is more valuable as trade chip in larger deal.

6. psman2

psman2 Member

Unless this trade included swapping him for Brewer then this was a easy no decision. People here that are upset need to understand that trading for Nick Young using your cap space would have prevented the Harden extension. So you complainers are choosing Young over Harden.

Jontro, Chamillionaire and vstexas09 like this.
  7. FANfrom86toNow

If that's the case, then it makes perfect sense to pass. I thought we had about 9 million though, or maybe that is what coming up at the end of this season. But yeah, that Harden extension is WAYYYY more important than Nick Young, that's a no brainer. But if they would have taken Brewer, but Morey preferred Brewer over NY, then that would have been a mistake to me.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

might be a Cap issue

Rocket River

9. Chamillionaire

I disagree. MDA is playing Dekker, KJ, and MH. They are all proving themselves and confidence going up. McHale and JBs rotation were worse.

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

It costs something to unload players like Jeremy Lin and Nick Young. Pay us to take him.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

thank goodness. Nick Young is worthless except as a 15th man who could replace a backup rotation player. We have Brewer for that.

If it was a protected first and Young for a HOU 2nd rounder, I'd do it. Then use that pick to dump Brewer. Waive Johnson. Costs us less than waiving Brewer.

12. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

With the way Harden is passing this year, I'd be looking for players that finish well after receiving the pass and guys that can play the Harden role when he goes to the bench. You're never going to find an equal substitute, but a player that runs this specific offense would be more attainable. Norman Powell seems kind of close, Deron Williams, Lance Stephenson (headcase but worth a risk off waivers), TJ McConnell, Andrew Harrison might be worth a look before he turns any corner for better/worse. I think we can find someone just to run the offense when Harden sits or at least we can find a more defensive group of 5 in our rotation.

Edit: Beno Udrih might be had for an okay price. Allen Crabbe would be great, but I imagine he has a high market value. Milos Teodosic seems pretty nice, he likes early offense.

More editing:

Turns out Eric Gordon is a good PnR man. Pair him with Nene and he'll do well, but MDA needs to let Gordon run the PnR in his own way. Harden is a downhill player so he starts the offense from the top of the key, but Gordon does better running it at the corners. So, the team needs to practice that more and more if they won't the score to move when Harden is resting.

Also, we could run a lot of 'inverted pick and roll' with Ryan Anderson. The big man slips out and uses a pick on the weak side to get open. Just getting that split second separation for Anderson could be helpful for the times James is off the court.

With Ryan, you wouldn't want to drive to the basket, but he could make good decisions from that point on the court. He'd be about 16 feet from the basket and he could use it to pop instead of taking it inside.

#72 don grahamleone, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
    D-rock, FANfrom86toNow and RudyTBag like this.
  13. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, more, drama...

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No Iggy no Swaggy

15. FANfrom86toNow

No doubt McHale and JBB were worse than MDA in EVERY single category!!! No comparison to be had there.

But MDA is still playing SewerAnus instead of giving all those minutes to KJ, Dekker and Harrel. KJ only had like 5 minutes last night. Gordon should be the backup PG, only because we have no other one worth it, until Bev comes back; and the toilet bowl combo should get ZERO minutes. That's what I meant.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Umm so then Corey Brewer starts, lol. Some of you will defend Morey no matter what, he's the Trump of the basketball world, lol..

17. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

The scout team has done well with 2nd rounders....I say no....

18. FANfrom86toNow

I like your points, while not knowing much about some of the players you mentioned to run the offense. But I really don't know why MDA wants Gordon to be on the second unit, but wants Ennis to run the second unit. That makes no sense to me. First Gordon is better in the first unit and makes Harden more of a threat. Brewer makes it harder for Harden because no one will respect his 3pt shooting or his ability to drive off a pass....just a ZERO. Second, Gordon is much better with the ball in his hands if Harden isn't on the court, but as you mentioned, he would have to run the offense a little differently because he is no Harden. But running the offense as you mentioned with Gordon would produce much better results than what is currently being done when we lose the lead everytime when Harden sits.

MDA needs to run the offense differently when Harden sits. He can't run the same offense without having a player of Harden or Nash's caliber. I hope he figures that out soon. Otherwise I am very pleased with him, minus the rotations so far.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Nick Young is a ten year vet who has never had a positive box score plus-minus for a whole season.

I know that's just one random stat, but I think the eye test would confirm that stat's implication about Nick Young.

Pass.

20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yep, he sucks.