1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey keeping close eyes to extension eligible deals that may go bad

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 23, 2014.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I agreed with most of what you said except this part. Nash is injury prone and done. He is finished. Bass is just ok, he could offer something.

No way Nash and Bass make us a big time contender. Just NO.

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nobody is optimistic.

3. chandlerbang21

Thompson wants 11 mill extension to be the backup behind k love. He will be a target if Morey thinks he is worthy

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Is DM the GM 'messaging' certain players with this?

5. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

Rob OKC twice? Lolol

Then in two years, nab the three piece by signing Durant!

I like Reggie Jackson's game. He is basically Bledsoe but less proven (though Bledsoe isn't all that much proven anyway).

Probably not going to happen because Presti probably blocked Morey on everything after the Harden trade. Lol

6. Classic

Classic Member

OKC aint trading Jackson to HOU. Aint no way.

This is all longshot talk anyway. A new and more friendly CBA coming out and I don't see the urgency here that a fresh hardcore CBA would have invoked ala the Harden deal. Two different environments.

7. baubo

baubo Member

Morey is ALWAYS looking for potential issues with other teams to vulture in, so this is hardly a surprise. But looking back on the 2011 draft, that's a pretty sad list of players. Faried, Rubio, and to a lesser extent Jackson are the only players I may be interested in.

8. Sanity2disChaos

Maybe he sees a young ibaka ....

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's a risk no doubt. Nash might not play more than 10-20 games. Bass may be outplayed by Jones this season.

But consider the fact that Bass is a hugely underrated defender. I didn't know it about him, but his defensive numbers are impressive and he's done an admirable job on this weak Celtics team. He also boasts a sweet mid range J + an excellent FT% (85% last two seasons). This means he can create at least some spacing for Howard and Harden, but more importantly these tend to be great clues in players' careers that they'll be able to develop a good 3pt shot. He hasn't really tried yet, but he did hit 2 of the 6 he took this past season.

Nash - just judging by his personality, seems like someone who is not willing to throw in the towel. I know the odds are not great, but from the way he's spoken about his injuries and career, I feel the guy is really eyeing just one respectable season before retiring. I also feel he would be far more motivated on the Rockets than the Lakers, and if he's able to give us 70 games of 20 minutes, he would be a huge weapon. The guy can run an offense and nail 3pters all day - can you really ask for more from a backup PG? Equally important, he has tons of experience and I think his character and game could rub off on Beverley and Canaan. This is all speculation on my part though. Dude might not play again if he pulls a hammy early on.

I'm thinking these are two guys who their teams are not interested in keeping. They don't fit at all with what their teams are doing, and so we could probably get them at great value and improve at two positions. They are great fits in terms of character and skill set. I think it could really give us that little boost we would need to get over the hump.

Basically, I know it's not the best plan, but I think it's something we should consider should everything else fail. Two small pieces at PF and PG could go a long way towards improving this team.

10. Classic

Classic Member

Morey should be fired if he picks up Nash. 20 min/game for 70 games? He'll be luck if he avgs 7 min for 20 games. Better off to trade for Aaron Brooks.

11. akeemshook

akeemshook Member

FTFY.

12. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

who would be received better in houston -- hobbled steve nash or LIN?

13. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

i think rondo might be the easiest one to get. And ironically he's the best target.

14. blueshampoo

blueshampoo Member

Kwahi doesn't look like the selfish player that will demand max and threaten to leave the team he was groomed under.

We need an upgrade at the PF.....like the other guy said, PG won't matter when Harden commands the ball. Jones is ok some nights; he brings rebounds but I'd like to see a more Griffin type of PF that can create his own shots, while being able to shoot.

We can leave the rebounding to Howard. A defensive PF that can shoot, space the floor, and create his own shots should be our priority

15. Classic

Classic Member

$8 mil on the bench or a $15 mil disaster on the court

good question!

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

This post look eerily similar to the one I posted the other day about Bledsoe and the Suns ultimately working out a deal.

Woj... is it possible me and you share the same source?????

1 person likes this.
  17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

"Sources: Morey keeping close eyes to extension eligible deals that may go bad"

I don't need an insider to tell me this ;) Give me specific names. Morey is always in the market looking for any upgrade whenever possible, extension status or not. It is just that much easier to work a deal with teams where the players involved and the team are not on the same page on the negotiations.

18. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

If it's not a PG, I have absolutely no idea how I am going to purge the swell of anger that will accumulate inside me. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

19. BeardFan19

BeardFan19 Member

What about Brandon Knight guys?