1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey has been trying to get Rondo/Rubio this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Oct 14, 2014.

1. caneks

caneks Rookie

It does not matter what plan Morey has. What really matters is how deep this team would run in the playoffs.

2. T for 3

T for 3 Member

3. basketballholic

Must of them are totally clueless about Rubio's game.

4. bamma

bamma Member

Hmm...so many insiders on this board.

5. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Yes your 100% correct, none of us have ever seen him play in the "playoffs".

6. baubo

baubo Member

What's your opinion of Kevin Love's playoff performance?

7. jump shooter

Zero never seen him play in a playoff game. Outside of regular season games the only time I've seen him play was in All-Star games LOL. Comparing Love to Rubio is a joke.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you JUST watch the Rockets like most people here you've seen him what 10 times over the past couple years, and you've seen him 4 times last year clearly get out-played by Pat Bev. Even if you are "Just a Rockets fan" I don't know how you can be high on this guy just based on those performances.

I'm assuming that even the most fair weather fan has seen him play with team Spain over the past few years, and this Summer in the world cup. On top of that, at least at the beginning of the season, Minnesota has been on top of pretty much every NBA blogger's list of "League Pass" teams.

People are acting as if Rubio is some new young player in the league, and internationally that has some ridiculously high ceiling none of us have seen yet when in fact the guy has been playing professionally for almost a decade now. If you've somehow "missed" Ricky Rubio and don't have any idea who he is, what he does well, and what he doesn't do well, than you just have been living under a rock somewhere. Even if you only watch Rockets games, being in the WC, you've at least had a decent enough exposure to him to get some sort of inclination as to what type of player he is.

Come on man. Maybe some folks here really haven't seen much of Rubio, but implying that he's some unknown is not accurate whatsoever. The guy has been around for almost a decade. The NBA/hoops junkies know this guy well.

Saying all that, as someone that has seen him quite a bit, he's a decent player, and I'd love for Morey to acquire him at the right price. However, where people are truly being delusional on the board is how available they think he is, and how they are willing to bet that Rubio will solve all the problems the Rockets have an make them a title contender overnight. That's very, very, very, very incorrect on multiple levels, and I feel strongly enough to voice my opinion on that.

9. CertifiedTroll

I will admit I haven't watched much Rubio. I have watched a lot of Rockets though. Seeing what our team needs out of a PG, and comparing the stats Rubio fills up on a box score, I firmly believe that Rubio is no good for us. My judgement can be swayed. Rubio is good for assists and steals. I would much rather have a 3 & D king of PG. I understand that the potential trade options are limited, but I would rather have Bev in the game than Rubio.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

Ive watched him plenty of times and followed up on his career thus far to support views on him as a player. he may not be a grade A scrub but the way some people view him is definitely pretty overrated imo.

11. basketballholic

It is totally understandable that you would "rather have" what you know works well versus the "unknown possibility" of what we would have if we had Rubio.

Here's my point about Rubio or Rondo or another primary point guard: We don't have one right now. What we have is a bunch of point guards that are either shooters who can't handle or they are playmakers who aren't great playmakers.

We have one guy (Harden) to execute our offense. Who executes the offense when Harden sits? Who can make plays alongside Harden when he needs a blow on a couple possessions and wants to move off the ball? Have you seen what happens to Bev when he has to run the offense? He dribbles it down and either gets up a contested floater or he throws it to a covered shooter on the perimeter who in turn has to attempt to dribble-drive (not their strong suit) past the defense into a clogged paint.

Guys like Rubio and Rondo are a different breed. They are guys that can dribble through any crack in a defense, dribble through double and triple teams to create wide open looks for their teammates. Rubio is not a scorer. He is not a shooter. He's a playmaker, plain and simple. A playmaker who gets his teammates open shots at double or triple the pace that Bev or Ish can get them open looks.

Again, not trying to sell you on Rubio or Rondo. I understand why you would rather have the current status quo in the backcourt.

12. baubo

baubo Member

How would you know? By your own admission. You have never seen Rubio in the "playoffs" nor Kevin Love in the "playoffs." So shouldn't your opinion of both players, by your own standard, exactly the same?

13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

i dont get the love affair with Rubio... Rondo can do anything and everything that Rubio can do and he does a lot of things better than him.

Rubio is one of the worst finishers in NBA history! Sure he is fun to watch as a ball handler/facilitator but so is Rondo not to mention Rondo has an attitude like Pat and a championship pedigree.

The only way I would go for Rubio is if we were just stealing him from them but since that isn't going to happen I would stay away... its crazy that people say we shouldn't go for Rondo because he can't shoot and is injury prone and dont realize Rubio is the exact same just worse.

14. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

I tried to win the lottery this month... came up a few numbers short.

15. CertifiedTroll

Ok, that is a valid point. The only perimeter play maker we have past Harden is KPap. But it is waaaayy to early to count on his play making ability. I won't be upset if we get Rubio, but it irks me when players at the highest level can't shoot the ball with somewhat descent form.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

Rubio doesn't belong in the discussion when you talk about the upper tier of pg's. the difference between him and Beverley is not enough to call it an upgrade. I'd rather have beverley over rubio any day. People say rubio is this playmaker but he'll hurt you just as much with the rest of his game as a player or lack thereof.

17. jump shooter

Are you willing to roll the dice on Rubio (lack of playoff experience as a PG) with Howard in his prime? You bringing up Kevin Love's name in this makes no sense. Rubio is an elite passer and better than average defender with his length ect., but I've seen Rondo do some things when the cards were on the table that were very impressive (he's proven). They are both injury prone and thats why I would love Dragic over the both of them IMO. But Rubio's lack of playoff experience really scares me and if the rockets were in a rebuilding mode I would say heck yea Morey go after him but their trying to win a championship in the next two seasons.

18. CertifiedTroll

Ok. I give in on Rubio. I would be happy. My complaint about his shooting form is void.

At around the 2:30 minute mark you can see him working with the shooting coach. If we can keep working with him he can eventually become a descent shooter in time.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_z1EiLJLTws" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

19. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

I think Morey sees this but I think he is trying to address defense and leadership. I don't believe our starting 4 is on this team yet. I'm watching teams like Chicago and Utah who have a glut at the four spot. I don't think we are going to carry Patbev, Canaan, Ish, Terry, and Johnson for PG duty. Nor do I think we carry Adrien, D-Mo, Jones, Black, all at the 4, and I believe Black will make this team. I believe Ish, Canaan, Adrien and Dorsey are guaranteed deals which to me means that they are trade filler with Jet or that Patbev, TJones, D-MO, are all on pack your bags watch. Which ever one makes the team better I think he will go with.

I think it all depends on what he has to give up to get next piece and the piece after that. Morey plays chess not checkers.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

a preseason game against the worst team in the league sold you on rubio in a 5 minute video? that's a pretty legit scouting report haha