1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey has been trying to get Rondo/Rubio this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Oct 14, 2014.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Cyberx posts Morey inquiring after point guards in order to improve that spot. Others have posted pretty much the same: Morey and point guards.

If I may quote "Gone with the Wind," when Pork mentions the $300 Tara owes on taxes, she says she'll ask Ashley Wilkes for the money. "He ain't got it either," insists Pork. "Well, I can ask, can't I?" she insists. As she storms off, Pork shakes his head sadly, talking to himself: "Askin' ain't gettin'."

And so maybe it is right now with Rondo and Rubio. "Askin' ain't gettin'." You can ask, Daryl, but you'll be rebuffed. For now, anyway.

We'll see if either Ainge or Flip will budge. Ainge might hold out hope to use Wallace's contract next summer with his (surfeit of?) draft picks and add a star to Rondo. He'll hold onto Rondo until he knows he has to go the Full Rebuild.

2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

#weplowtogether :grin:

1 person likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Don't get me wrong. I do think Rondo is the better player.
    I'm just not sold on him being the better fit.

I'd rather risk Rubio, than the chemistry clash that is Rondo. ESPECIALLY with Kevin McHale as the head coach. For those that want McHale gone (fine with me, too), might not be a bad thing.. except McHale will be here this year, and I'm not throwing in the towel on this year by any means.

I just don't see how Harden, Howard, Rondo and McHale works. I just don't.

I get that people want Harden to "defer" some more. I think that's an overrated comment. He can overdribble at times for sure. And he struggled in the playoffs, for sure. But on the whole, I'd much rather the ball in Harden's hands down the stretch. Does Rondo allow that to happen? clearly, he's played with greats before, successfully. But he also rubbed those greats the wrong way. Think about that for a second. Kevin Garnett didn't enjoy playing with Rondo. KG... perhaps the least enjoyable teammate I could think off (unless you are eager to get punched in the face).

And while both have injury concerns... consider that Rondo hasn't played in more than 40 games in 2 years, hasn't played in more than 68 games in FIVE YEARS.

And let's give Rubio some credit. He is definitely the better three point shooter. He produces fewer turnovers. He requires less usage (by usage %... again speaking to a better fit). In my view he's the better defender at this point in his career.

The contract puts it over the top. At his salary he is more obtainable for our "project" players plus the Pelicans pick... AND by being restricted, as has been noted, he helps maintain financial flexibility next offseason.

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I refuse to believe morey is more on earned with our pg situation than our PF situation.

5. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

6. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

nobody said he was. You just interpreted it that way I guess.

7. kemah

kemah Member

Morey will not lock the cap down unless the 4 spot is taken care of.

8. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Thank you, Plowman and King Drew.

We should've had faith in you, but we fell victim to easy cynicism. May God have mercy on our souls, though we don't deserve it.

1 person likes this.
  9. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Big difference from stating that we WILL get someone *soon* vs we asked about someone and they said no. These players are obvious choices for an obvious need. That's what always killed me about plowman. He stated obvious direction as though it was a done deal and we just need to waiting on the timing. IMO - that was never the case. I have insider info at work all the time. Do you know how many times I'm wrong or it doesn't happen? 0.

10. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

we've seen worse times..Chuck Hayes starting at the 5. Hayes was awesome, but undersized. His heart made up for the rest.

What we have now though not great are 2 serviceable PF in Dmo and TJones with a decent backup in Adrien.

Regarding the PG situation, we have one proven starter in Bev and 2 backups that each have a +/- per player. It would be difficult to run the team as is if Beverley got injured again. They would have to run the offense through harden and then use maybe Terry as the 2.
    If we could upgrade the PG with a proven commodity and have Bev as the backup/6 man without losing a lot of the youth/core on this team, then Morey will look at that.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I get it and that's fair. Still, he did state that Morey was looking at Rondo and Rubio. I believe he may have caved to the pressure of "when" with everyone hounding him. Doesn't make his info any less credible.

12. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

Rubio on the Rockets would be super entertaining. That 3 point shot would have to improve by leaps and bounds though.

13. Louka

Louka Contributing Member

i think i changed my mind... imo our biggest need is not at the 1 or the 4, but at the 5. We need a backup center

14. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

In theory, how would our team look with Rubio/Rondo taking over starting PG duties?
    Can somebody paint the pic for me? (Assuming Jones, Terry and scraps are sent over as well)

15. rocketseagles07

What realistic target is out there at pf? He's said the 1 and the 4 are our weakest position

16. kemah

kemah Member

lol

I seen Rubio play in FIBA and the fans here will be hating him by the mid season.

17. eman

eman Contributing Member

All of war is based on deception, so this thread can only mean we're focusing on upgrading the 4 spot. Ryan Anderson?

18. quinnolivarez

quinnolivarez Member

You're wrong for thinking using how rubio plays now to rationalize whether or not he's actually good. DM has traded for, drafted & signed in free agency guys with no place in the league and flipped them at peak value because he consistently brings in guys who thrive in our coach's system

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Morey traded for Rubio or Rondo, I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, but I just can't see how either of those would be good moves given that they shoot the ball like a middle school B team player.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

This has crossed our minds as well, Mr. Tzu.