1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey has been trying to get Rondo/Rubio this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Obviously for a playoff push THIS year. I believe you would gain his bird rights as well and could offer him a five year deal instead of the shorter and smaller 4 year deal as a max free agent this summer.

2. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

Gee, he's off our payroll now.

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

a rondo in the hand is worth 2 rondos in the bush.

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I don't understand your scenario... both Rondo and Rubio are in the final year of their contract - period. right? apples to apples...

Based on what I've seen of Morey, here's what I think is happening...

1st choice is a 3rd star... doubtful that'll happen, but hey, hope springs eternal...

Sooooo backup plan is.... fill a hole at pg or pf with a decent player (not necessarily a star) on an expiring deal (that will prob be overpaid next year... therefor their present value is lower than somebody locked in for additional years on a decent contract... and can be gotten for our limited tradeable assets - hence Rubio or injury plagued Rondo)...

Then in the offseason go hard at a good free agent (for the position that wasn't filled via the earlier trade - Milsap/Goran, etc...) with a high dollar amount... sign them into our then existing capspace.... then blow the cap and prob into luxury tax land by resigning the expiring contract we traded for and PBev....

Resulting in one of the most solid starting 5s in the league (weakest link being Rubio? or Ariza) and Les spending a buttload of cash on luxury tax...

So those complaining about Rubio possibilities and him being overpaid next year... He would theoretically be the worst player in our starting lineup - but can facilitate for 4 other top notch guys - and his paycheck doesn't really matter cause its all gonna be 'above the cap/luxury tax money' that isn't gonna matter to anything except Les' wallet...

Oh, and THANKS for the update cyberx! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. afk

afk Member

So nothing is gonna happen once regular season starts. This REALLY is gonna be our roster going forward this year.

6. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Michael Carter Williams?

7. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Ballholic - It is this kind of reasoned conjecture that I like to read some of your posts.

It may seem far-fetched to some, but at least it is reasonable.

Thanks for sharing!

Also thanks cyberx - he seems to have confirmed what many people have been speculating about in the other thread for months

8. zyt

zyt Member

rondo i kinda understand as morey always chases stars, whats the logic of rubio here? he commands 10mil+ , horrible shooter,

9. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Look, you guys can take this FWIW, but Plowman has stated that these guys have been in play for a while. Just because someone else has now come in and confirmed it, doesn't mean that it wasn't true from the jump.

cyber, I sincerely appreciate that you've confirmed this, but it's not new. Still, thank you, it's good to know.

I think some of you jock riders owe someone an apology. Just saying:cool:

1 person likes this.
  10. basketballholic

Good luck with that. They'd rather just hang out and stab Plowman when we don't get either guy instead of appreciating the heads up.

11. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Oh I expect nothing, but some of the naysayers that I actually have a lot of respect for as posters on this board, I would hope that they'd at least be big enough to give some props. Trade or no trade. Yes the timeline given was a mistake, so sue him.

12. basketballholic

No. Rondo is in the last year of his deal. Rubio is headed into restricted free agency. That means he likely will have his choice to accept an offer sheet for less than the max from another team that Minny will likely match or he can accept the 1-year qualifying offer sheet that Minny will automatically tender him. Or Fegan can try to generate a max offer from another team that gives Minnesota a decision to make. If Fegan and Rubio think he is worth the max, they could accept the QO, punt on next season and then walk away from Minny in 2016.

Rondo and Rubio have very different scenarios. Rondo's situation is he is looking for max money on a 5-year deal. He'll have to accept 4 years to walk away from Boston. And the odds of him accepting a 1-year deal for way less than his max (which is $3-4 million higher per season than Rubio's max) at his age and place in his career is almost non-existent.

Logical

1 person likes this.
  13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Well said! I've been enjoying the speculation. :)-

Thanks for the update, cyberx!

1 person likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

You act surprised. This was always by far the likeliest scenario.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

TL;DR Betting on Rubio is betting on shooting percentage improvements through better shot selection (hammer, hammer, hammer home rim and 3's only), more open shots (by virtue of no longer being the "best" backcourt player on the squad), and not being the primary backcourt player in the clutch (that's Harden's role, clearly), betting on the defense, ballhandling, court vision, rebounding qualities really improving the team, betting on age (will just turn 24 at start of the season... his TS% basically mirror Jason Kidd's first three years and Kidd got better), and betting that he won't break the bank to re-sign (will be expensive, but hopefully not the max). Finally, Rubio's restricted status gives DM another shot at the Parsons free agencies, only betting on the fact that a horrible shooter in a position filled with amazing talent hopefully won't get that max offer... so as basketballholic says, sign Paul Millsap as a FA, then sign Rubio or match a RFA offer

The reasoning would be that he's a decent 3 point shooter. Decent, not great. But a great FT shooter. And that like basically everyone, he's a better shooter unguarded (catch and shoot) than guarded (dribble pull-ups)... even though still bad.

Point being, he is so great at his court vision, and is a great PG defender, and great PG rebounder... could the rest of the squad "mask" his shooting short-comings. Up that 3 point percentage 5%. Increase the 2 point percentage 5%-10% through improved shot selection (Rubio still shot 40% of his shots from neither the 3 or at the rim... which for him should be closer to 20%) and more open shots...

I'm not sold... BUT I'd probably rather have him than Rondo at this point. I just can't see Rondo fitting chemistry wise with Dwight/Harden.... basically at all. Ultimately, I have to believe Rubio comes a bit cheaper as well. And as hard as it can be to believe, Rubio isn't that far behind Rondo on a TS% (better 3 point shooter and FT shooter).

The TWolves were 3rd in the league in points, 9th in offensive rating, 4th in pace, etc. They had an expected W-L of 48-34, as opposed to the 40-42 they finished. Their overarching problem was closing out games. A LOT of this is a Rubio issue. Opponent defenses changed in the 4th to basically will Rubio to shoot. And, by far, he performed the worst, shooting wise in the 4th quarter.

Adding another player that struggles in the clutch doesn't sound like a winning recipe in a league where games so often come down to the last 5 minutes, especially in the playoffs. ALTERNATIVELY, the Rockets have Harden. Rubio did not have the ability to not be the ballhandler in the 4th, not be the guy throwing up shots with 5 seconds or less on the shotclock, etc. He couldn't be the PG who migrated to the corner for spot up 3s, and oh by the way because he is average to slightly above average at that, could then create off those opportunities. Instead, he had to be the backcourt ballhandler down the stretch... not a good deal.

Again, all said and done, I'm not sold. The reason Damian Lillard regressed in round 2 versus the Spurs was principally about the fact that he had to chase Tony Parker around the court. Even the best PG defenders are just limited by the rules, and the quality of the competition. Even the best PG rebounders... well, it's nice, but not a must must have.

But at the right price, I'll absolutely take a flyer. And the Pelicans pick is something I'd happily trade. I've got no clue what they're going to do. If I'm betting, I'm betting in the lottery again, though just barely.

#95 JayZ750, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

JayZ, all great points you make, but how many playoff games does little Ricky have under his belt and would you gamble with Howards prime years in Ricky? See in the playoffs all your flaws are magnified (Greg Popovich, Doc Rivers ect) and yes Rondo has flaws as well, but he's proven playoff player and he knows how to win. Rubio does have unbelievable court vision ect, but he's not in the same league as Rondo IMO. Howard and Harden need tough proven playoff veterean's around them, Ricky Rubio is not any of that at the moment.

17. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Or he sees the same thing everyone else sees.

18. mollamar

10:26AM -- You JUST woke up?

19. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Question: who is left other than the above 2 players mentioned ?

20. mollamar

Sorry, didn't we see this summer that there is no guarantee we dislodge a UFA from his bird rights / longer contract team or that if he decides to leave that he would come here? Wouldn't we rather be in position to have his bird rights or to sign him to a longer contract as bait to keep him?