1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey has been trying to get Rondo/Rubio this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Oct 14, 2014.

1. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

It's Morey's fault that he didn't get both players already. He's a terrible GM, maybe the worst ever. ...and he deserves to be chastised by the likes of Cuban.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I knew you was a true insider. Who are we talking about giving up for Horford or Milsap. I take it Terrence Jones will be on that list.

Dobro already big timer. Got to love the City of Clutchfans lol

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actually, they are able to take on bad salary with that TPE....IF it's the right salary (one that doesn't tie them up for too long, or that they can trade to a team needing the player [Kevin Martin?]).

Or are you saying "can't do at this point because they don't want to tie up the cap?"

4. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This ^^^^^^^^

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Once again, I don't need an insider to tell me that Morey has made inquiries for Rondo or Rubio. Morey is always in play with tens and tens of potential deals on the table and I can guarantee you that Morey has been trying to get or has inquired about at least another 10 players this summer.

That is just how Morey works. He is always in the market looking at players and player extensions where they could be a hitch and he could pull in.

Morey has also been trying to get Jeff Teague and Millsap in a deal. And he also been keeping close tabs on LMA's extension. Not to mention, he is looking to see how Ryan Anderson plays out.

Thank me later ;)

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Get in line. I'm already playing it too.

Murray doesn't want Rubio. cyberx's report that he was just doing some due diligence - and not aggressively pursuing Rubio - confirms me as an Insider.

7. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Morey is going after somebody nobody is predicting right now.

8. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Betty White?

9. Raven

Raven Member

Here's the thing about Rubio, unless he has an injury, his value isn't likely to go down. It's not like his offensive woes can get much worse, and Minny can always trade him at the deadline for pretty much the same offers they are getting for him now. On the other hand, if Rubio miraculously improves his shooting, his value goes way way way up, so Minny has everything to gain by waiting.

As for Boston, I suspect the main reason Boston hasn't dumped him is that they've gotten nothing but crap offers.

10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

And this is spot on.

No one knew when Morey got Harden or when Morey got Terry or signed all the scrubs.

Very rarely does Morey get a player that has been widely speculated by "insiders' to join the Rockets.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

This^^^^^

12. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

Why is Cybersex posting a new thread for this? The paging Cybersex thread is still going strong!

13. wise_man

wise_man Member

Get rondo and not
    Rubio, atleast rondo will be off our payroll next year if he sucks. But I do believe rondo will be the playmaker for this team which we don't have right now with parsons gone.

14. finsraider

finsraider Member

As cyberx said....just due diligence guys. I expect Morey to make calls to any and everyone.

What appears obvious to me is that Rondo isn't staying in Boston. Don't know where he will end up, but Houston is a logical landing spot.

Also, I would remind everyone that we don't know the terms of the offer. Boston and Minny know we are in the market for a PG, and Morey probably gave them a general idea of what we will and won't do.

15. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sweet! Morey is a hustler

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The TPE is nice. Maybe you swing a separate deal that eats up a mid-level salary. Its definitely a tool Morey can use in some deal. Just don't see it in this occassion.

Looking at both of these teams in their motives, you are going to have to massively be able to wipe the books for them. I'm talking Gerald Wallace/Pekovic level. Either having cap space or a large expiring contract would seem like the way from an outside perspective that would entice me to work a deal with a team if I was in the position that Ainge & Flip are in.... which isn't really a place of desperation.

In sales there is this thing called a "Value Statement" you need as a reason to call. What is the Rockets "Value Statement" that is truly going to wow Ainge or Flip that says we NEED to make this move?? I just don't see it personally.

17. Ranny

Ranny Member

I for one appreciate that cyberx and/or other "insiders" share information with us. Its not like he is saying that Morey is trading for Lebron or Durant and we are eating it up. These are the names that we have heard all summer and that although difficult seem plausible to get and its good to know/believe that Daryl has not given up on making a move in the near future.

I think the first thing he will do is try to flip the players that are not making the cut into assets if we can at least get a 2nd round pick in exchange for one of the spots we need to cut we will make a fantastic move, and the fact that most of them are playing surprisingly well this preseason might help, that would be like doing a miracle.

18. basketballholic

No he hasn't. Morey isn't interested in Teague right now and hasn't tried to get him. Morey wouldn't even take Teague for nothing into the TPE. Not unless Teague comes with 2 first round draft picks so Morey can flip him.

19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This. Bass and Rondo for Jones, Terry, NOP pick and parts makes sense for all parties. Likely a deadline deal.

20. basketballholic

LOL.

No way do we move that NOP pick at the deadline for Rondo UNLESS it is obvious that NOP is a playoff team. And then only maybe.

Why would we give up substantial assets for Rondo at the deadline when we could just sign him in the off season for nothing?