1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey has been trying to get Rondo/Rubio this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Oct 14, 2014.

1. basketballholic

That's all relative. He won't give up more for Rondo other than salary matching.

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

They are just asking cyberx. I don't see nothing wrong with asking a simple question.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

My sources are telling me something similar. It was something like, "So... some used hair gel for Ricky Rubio?"

4. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

It would be nice to have another playmaker, when Harden is on the bench the team looks pretty bad.

5. basketballholic

No it isn't. I'm not in love with Rubio. I do see that he has significant upside still and I am obviously higher than most posters on this board are of him. But I'm not in love with him. Most of what I have put up here over the past month or so regarding Rubio was based on credible information I had.

You can argue with Morey about loving/liking Rubio. Morey still thinks a lot of him.

6. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

i think you asked me a question about whether i saw something said by mr wayne before he deleted, see cyberx's posts about rondo and rubio, make it more verbose and that's what i saw

7. cyberx

cyberx Member

Westbrook, CP, Parker would help as well.. As would Curry and many others...

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Rubio has allegedly turned down a 4yr/ 48 M extension with the Wolves. He is looking for a lot more. Morey's interest in him will only drive his price up in the future, even though he is on a cheaper contract right now.

9. baubo

baubo Member

If Morey wants Rubio, he really does need to wait another 3 months until Minnesota crash and burn into the ground realizing that somehow, the starting lineup of Pekovic/Young/Brewer/Martin/Rubio isn't playoff caliber in the west. Once that happens, you wonder if Minnesota really wants to commit max money to Rubio.

10. Roxoff

Roxoff Member

I trust Morey. I'm sure whoever he's talking to is because one of a few reasons:
    a) they would be a good fit for this team
    b) flip that person later down the road for an even better player
    c) or to get fires going under other players he actually wants

I really like option c and that's what I'm hoping for. Trust the man, this ragtag bench he put together this last offseason has been impressive so far this preseason.

11. basketballholic

This is the precise reason why Morey wants Rubio over Rondo. Morey knows there is a possibility that he could bait Fegan into getting Rubio to sign the qualifying offer and playing out next season at $6 million salary. That in turn gives Rubio a cap hold of $9 million in 2016 when Durant is a free agent and gives Morey the opportunity to recruit a big 4 with Rubio/Harden/Durant/Dwight. It would give Morey the opportunity to evaluate Rubio for 2 seasons and then either let him walk or offer him big money in conjunction with Durant.

UNLESS Morey can convince Rondo to accept below market money for a 1 season deal.....he can't replicate that scenario with Rondo. Rondo, if signed to a big deal, will crunch down the cap and not allow enough space to go after Durant. Trading for Rondo is almost an end game move UNLESS Morey can figure out how to create a huge TPE to take Durant into with a sign-and-trade or continue trading for enough talent that OKC would take back in a sign-and-trade (not likely). That means Morey has to trade for a guy like Amare/Gay/DWill along with accumulating future first round draft picks...so he can shovel off that contract to Philly at the trade deadline and hopefully still have enough draft picks to entice OKC to do a sign-and-trade if Durant wants to walk here in 2016. That's basically almost an impossible scenario. So...a Rondo deal pretty much spells the end of chasing Durant.

On the other hand......trading for Rubio...and getting him to sign the qualifying offer after he gets offered the same "lousy" 4/48 in restricted free agency sets us up to be able to push into 2016 free agency and make a serious play for Durant.

This is why Morey is more interested in Rubio than most people are giving him credit for.

#51 basketballholic, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  12. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Have to agree with this, Rondo is the proven playoff player with 90+ games under his belt (with a ring) and I don't see him rolling the dice on Rubio unless he could get him for close to nothing. Howard is in his prime and wants a championship, the time is now to bring in proven playoff veterans as Morey has done with Ariza and Jason Terry.

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

This exactly what I was thinking would happen. People are talking about we have all these assets and I believe someone pointed out that we have more than the other "contenders" but assets don't matter if no one wants them. Morey is trying to make deals that he should have made last year. Upgrading PF and replacing Lin should have been a priority not gambling on a superstar which we don't need. A coaching change would have done the trick.

14. basketballholic

Flip KNOWS they aren't a playoff team RIGHT NOW. He KNOWS that. And we know that Rubio isn't his ideal PG. He wanted Bledsoe at the max. He's simply not going to give Rubio the max extension he's looking for. It's simply a matter of does Flip want to jack around with Fegan next off season and play the restricted free agency game and be forced to match a potential max offer or watch Rubio walk for nothing VERSUS getting the most he can get for him in trade right now.

While Morey will NEVER give Flip nor Ainge all they WANT for either Rubio or Rondo, Morey could very well offer them MORE than any other team is willing to give them for those said players because of the salary cap status and on-court condition of this team.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

LOL. Cyberx comes here to tell us Morey made calls inquiring about Rubio and Rondo, and the key piece of info is Minny and Boston weren't having it....

and then the "believers" use that as validation for their claims that "We are getting Rubio, etc. etc. etc."

Folks... is it supposed to be validation for your "insider claims" that Daryl Morey would call an NBA team about an NBA player's availability in a trade??? How does that prove anything? If anything Cyberx's report today is validating that you don't know what you are making claims about, but spin it any way you'd like.

If that's the game, I guess I can play too. Here is my "Insider Take".

My "sources" tell me that Morey is in play for Al Horford or Paul Millsap.

Now anytime anything gets reported that Morey called Atlanta about anything, I'm officially validating myself as a true insider.

Thanks for the upcoming official verification guys. I can't wait for the title.

1 person likes this.
  16. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

Agree 100%. No to Rubio

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

I woke up this morning to discover a brand-new cybersex thread. All is right in my world. :)

18. BabyBatterBoy

BabyBatterBoy Member

LOL u people are pathetic. Every time CyberSex makes a thread about something he hears from his "sources", u people pop boners and try to create scenerios in your head that make sense for the Rockets. NO ONE knows what Morey is thinking, doing or working on.

19. BabyBatterBoy

BabyBatterBoy Member

this board makes Rockets fans look pathetic and desperate. SMH

20. CertifiedTroll

The only thing pathetic is your comment.

This is a thread where OP posted inside info and we speculated on it.

If you are here to say mean things ex. "u people pop boners" I would suggest going back to daycare to learn how to act around others.