1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey has been trying to get Rondo/Rubio this month

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Oct 14, 2014.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

boston may just end up waiving bynum to get under the tax for this season

2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

For those of you who didn't figure this out yet, yes that's exactly why the Celtics made the Anthony for Bynum trade today. The Celtics aren't moving Rondo yet so don't get to thinking they are bringing in Bynum for anything having to do with basketball.

However there is some interesting things to note about this trade.

What's interesting is Ainge is potentially going to waive players like Anthony and now Bynum whose salary would have been important for trades later on in the season for matching purposes.

With that in mind, maybe Marcus Thornton and or Bass getting moved seems like an obvious move that Ainge is trying to make if the Celtics really aren't that concerned with hording their salary to try and make major trades at the deadline that need salary to get accomplished.

I always said the day that Terry was acquired that it sort of made sense for Morey to try and flip Terry back over to Boston for Thornton. SAVE Boston a ton of money, and also maybe even get an asset back for your services of getting them in better shape with the lux tax.

Then at that point, the Rockets would be better suited to take on more salary in a Dec to Feb. trade with the Thornton contract. IMO the Terry contract alone isn't going to give the Rockets that much ability to take on salary without putting someone like Ariza or Papanikolaou in the deal which doesn't seem smart to do at this point. Also Thornton is a much more useful player to the Rockets after losing Jeremy Lin.

I'm not Morey and I'm not Ainge, but a Terry (who the celtics waive) for Thornton & a 2nd round pick makes too much sense for both teams.

#282 dobro1229, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  3. rogower

rogower Member

Wow, good call. I completely agree that this deal makes perfect sense for both teams.

Houston fans should recognize that Terry was only acquired for his contract and will not be a rotation player at any point for Houston. Same goes with Marcus Thornton, if Terry is traded for Thornton.

4. CelticsFan

CelticsFan Member

Make sense though I don't think it happens. When can Terry be traded? For what it's worth Thorton has been really good this preseason. I had very low expectations for him but have been plesently surprised. He is a really good shooter and his defense has been good. Very few games to go on but still pretty good.

I'm a Terry hater the guys is useless!

5. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I have no idea why anyone would want rubihoe I mean Rubio but Rondo is a top three point guard in the league. I think he would push us to third best team in the west with McHale maybe the best in the west with at least an average coach.

6. basketballholic

Nets won't likely trade Thornton until they have exhausted all possibilities of trading Deron and Jack.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the nets sent thornton to boston in july

8. rogower

rogower Member

Not sure if this was previously pointed out, but the Celtics, even after this Joeal Anthony-for-Will Bynum swap, are OVER the luxury tax threshold. A Marcus Thornton-for-Jason Terry swap gets them safely BELOW the luxury tax threshold. And coughing up a second round pick is a small price to pay in exchange for avoiding the dreaded luxury tax.

As the O.P. pointed out, this trade makes perfect sense for both Houston and Boston.

Houston would rather trade Jason Terry and draft picks for Ricky Rubio but I don't see that happening.

9. basketballholic

Good catch. I'd better get some coffee. In that case, get'er done.

10. baubo

baubo Member

By himself? Right now. The NBA restriction has to do with aggregating salary. So Terry can't be traded for Rondo, for example, because the salaries won't match. Personally I'd prefer Terry over Thornton just in general though.

11. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Why would you waive a player that is averaging 9 points and 4 assists? I'm not saying that those are great numbers, but they are definitely good backup pg numbers.

12. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Yeah I think if we really wanted him, we'd have to trade Powell and Covingtion for him. Then they could waive them to save money. But that would mean if we traded 2 people we were going to cut for someone we are going to keep, then we need to cut someone we were going keep.

13. bmd

bmd Member

PF is where the Rockets really need help. Beverley is a fine PG. He's all-NBA on defense and he can shoot the 3 on offense and doesn't turn the ball over much.

Now, certainly there are better PGs out there, but Beverley is a solid player that doesn't need to be replaced.

PF spot needs to be upgraded for sure, and the bench needs some help. A combo guard off the bench who can score points would be great.

I think going after Rondo or Rubio is a waste just like Asik was wasted when the Rockets got Howard.

The only thing I could see being positive about getting Rondo would be Beverley could then be used in a trade package to get a PF.

1 person likes this.
  14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Terry could be traded the day he was acquired, he just can't be combined with other salaries until mid December.

What you said about Thornton might be why a trade like this isn't being discussed. I actually think Ainge is thinking there is a chance (albeit small one) that his team is better than projected, and might fight for one of the last couple playoff spots in the East. Thornton is actually a very useful player in the right role. For the Rockets, I think even if they didn't trade him, would have use in making up for what they lost with Lin coming off the bench last year in a 6th man scoring role.

I don't agree with Ainge that they are a playoff team, but every team thinks they are a playoff team right now in the preseason.

Terry has good use as essentially another coach & a vocal leader. On the court he can shoot, but probably not much else. Make no mistake though, Terry was acquired for 3 reasons. 2 draft picks, and a larger expiring contract that Morey can use at the deadline to acquire a good player. Its only recently that it seems like the team might actually have found use for him on the court potentially (or they at least want to see what he can bring).

If Morey is able to move Terry for an even bigger expiring contract, that gives the Rockets the ability to acquire an even better player before the deadline assume the formula is true that bigger salary = better player.

Also I see folks on here way too often suggesting the Rockets throw guys like Papanikolaou, Jones, and even Ariza into trade proposals along with Terry to make salaries match as if these guys are just throw ins. I don't know about the rest of you guys, but I'm not into gutting half the team to acquire anyone at this point that's not a clear cut all star.... and especially not someone like Ricky freaking Rubio.

Its that fact that leads me to be surprised that Morey hasn't already traded Terry in a deal like mentioned above, or it leads me to be surprised that Morey might not think he needs expiring salary to make a trade later in the year.

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

I don't know why but I just had this feeling we will hear something soon about the Rockets close to a deal for Rondo and Bass in exchange for TJ, Terry, Picks, etc. Just dreaming I guess.

16. today

today Contributing Member

Who was the poster that correctly picked like 13+ Rockets games in a row and said he gets premonitions sometimes? We need to get his opinion...

17. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Wouldn't this trade salary wise take us out of the Rondo sweepstakes? We could trade Thornton back, so we would have to match salaries with KPap, TJones and more, players we probably wouldn't want to part with.

18. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

Didn't boston want parsons for rondo and bass? ha ha ha

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

It wasn't me but that does sometimes happen to me. In fact, it happened the the day we last made a transaction, I think it was Terry. Something just told me today is the day and I went to check Clutchfans like I do everyday and boom there it was. All the other days were just feelings of anticipation, that day was different. I would say it happens about 30% of the time for me which is actually quite a bit. Strange never really thought about bringing it up before but yeah, it happens to me.

20. benchmoochie

benchmoochie Contributing Member

I agree with this given JH handles the ball a lot in the sets.