1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey eyeing Gordon Hayward next summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 15, 2016.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I think his wife is also from Indiana

2. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Sign me up!

I wanted him before and now I want him more!!!

3. Raz

Raz Member

Cap rises and we have around $87.5M in the books for 2017. Getting rid of Brewer plus a small trade would make it happen. Since Hayward was drafted in 2010 and hasn't been in the league for 10 years, his max should be around $25M.

I'd love the aquistion. Hayward would be really nice next to Harden and bring the offense to a whole new level. So let's hope the Jazz **** up.

First place on Google next to Hayward is indeed "wife".

4. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I could *** widdit

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What does J Hard think of Hayward?

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Agreed that a star SF is the way to go. Harden is the PG and Hayward is as close to a star SF as is likely to be obtainable. I don't think Paul George or Jimmy Butler are options. That leaves Gallinari or Gay or Hayward.

Really excited about this. Team is already fun to watch adding Hayward would be phenomenal.

7. mightybosstone

I'd be all on board this signing. Hayward is the ideal, unselfish No. 2 who does a little bit of everything and would thrive in this system offensively. However, I'm not sure if Hayward makes the Rockets a serious contender. Blake would, but if you sign Blake, what do you do with Anderson? And I love Millsap, but I'd put him in the same boat as Hayward, and Hayward is the better with the Rockets roster.

8. jlwee

jlwee Member

Not so long ago a lot poster on the board thought Parson is better player than Hayward.....:p

DreamShook likes this.
  9. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I want Hayward and gallo. Trade ryno and keep ariza.

Harden
    Hayward
    Gallo
    Ariza
    Capela

Length..........

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

http://www.espn.com/blog/nba/post/_...ink-of-stardom-humming-jazzs-new-winning-tune

At least Hayward doesn't commit to the Jazz for the long haul, but as usual, I don't know if you can read anything one way or the other: "For now I'm with the Jazz, if you start thinking the business side of things it can screw up your game, we have a good thing going here, and the Good Lord willing..." (Okay, I made up the "Good Lord willing" part.)

Gordon Hayward stands on brink of stardom, humming Jazz's new winning tune
    SALT LAKE CITY -- Gordon Hayward improved his scoring average in each of his first six NBA seasons, earned a maximum contract and is virtually guaranteed to get a large raise this season, assuming he decides to opt out of the final season of his deal with the Utah Jazz.

Hayward, however, hasn't been good enough. Just ask him.

"I'm definitely not satisfied with what I've done so far in my NBA career, and I think that I've got to be a better player for us to be where I want us to be," Hayward told ESPN. "For us to be in the playoffs, to make a splash, to compete at a higher level, I have to be a better player."

Hayward has put up some pretty impressive individual numbers. For instance, he's one of five players to record at least 4,000 points, 1,000 rebounds, 1,000 assists and 350 made 3-pointers over the previous three seasons, along with Stephen Curry, LeBron James, James Harden and Kyle Lowry.

Hayward is the only player on that short list who hasn't been an All-Star. The Jazz believe that could and should change this season, with Hayward hitting the ground running after missing the first six games with a broken left ring finger. As Utah's go-to guy, he is averaging 22.5 points, 7.0 rebounds and 4.0 assists in his first six games.

"I look at him and think we've got a player that's on that level," Utah coach Quin Snyder said. "No question in my mind."

There is also no question in Snyder's mind that Hayward, 26, is capable of being a franchise player for a team that not only makes the playoffs but can do some damage once it gets there. That's what matters to Hayward. That's what motivated him when he arrived at the team facility by 7 a.m. at the latest for daily workouts with assistant coach Johnnie Bryant every day this summer, the first full offseason he spent in Salt Lake City.

When the Jazz drafted Hayward with the ninth overall pick in 2010, he joined a perennial playoff team led by legendary head coach Jerry Sloan and All-Star point guard Deron Williams. They were both gone before Hayward's rookie season ended. His only taste of the playoffs so far came in his second season, when the Jazz were swept in the first round by the San Antonio Spurs.

Utah has been in rebuilding mode since. As far as Hayward is concerned, that's in the past tense.

"We're out of that phase, and we're trying to win basketball games," Hayward said. "We definitely have a good thing going for us."

The future certainly seems bright for the Jazz, who are off to a 7-5 start even though their starting lineup played only one game together. Hayward, power forward Derrick Favors and point guard George Hill have all missed extended time because of injuries.

Hayward, Favors, center Rudy Gobert and shooting guard Rodney Hood make up an intriguing core of 26-and-under talent with enough experience to be expected to end Utah's playoff drought. Jazz general manager Dennis Lindsey made savvy offseason moves to add three accomplished veterans in Hill, Joe Johnson and Boris Diaw. Hill, in particular, has been a terrific addition and has the potential to be a long-term fit.

But the Jazz will only be as good as Hayward. That's a responsibility he embraces, which is why he refuses to settle for being a very good player.

"He proved, in my mind, to be more hungry than maybe you thought at first glance," Snyder said. "When you're a very, very good NBA player, sometimes that's enough. In his case, 'No, I want to be a great player.' It's one thing to say that. It's another thing to put in the time in order to do that."

Under Bryant's supervision, Hayward focused this summer on two specific facets of his game: balance and footwork. The Jazz coaching staff believed Hayward often worked too hard for his buckets, overdribbling at times because he wasn't technically sound enough. Hayward accepted the challenge, mixing in some boxing to improve his footwork, along with his weight lifting and basketball drills.

"His approach of really dialing in and really targeting his game in terms of fine-tuning certain areas, that's where he's made the biggest leap and jump in my opinion over the years," Bryant said.

Bryant believes Hayward has made a significant leap the past two seasons in large part because he became a family man, forcing him to narrow his focus. Hayward agrees, saying his marriage to wife Robyn and the arrival of young daughters Bernadette and Charlotte, who was born July 11, made him prioritize things in his life and become more professional.

Robyn being pregnant with "Charlie" was one of the primary reasons Hayward opted to stay in Salt Lake City over the summer. He turned down an invitation to play for Team USA and didn't want to move a pregnant wife and toddler daughter across the country.

The Jazz hope they've given Hayward plenty of reasons to stay in Salt Lake City for the long term. They plan for him to be the centerpiece of a franchise that snaps a five-year playoff drought with a multiyear run of postseason appearances.

"Gordon's a smart guy," Snyder said. "He's going to know what he needs and what he wants. My personal feeling is, he's got everything he needs right here. I think there's a fit. There's a lot of positives, and there's a lot of things that fit. In the end, he's got to feel good about that."

Hayward is happy, if not satisfied, in Utah. He's not ready to commit to re-signing with the Jazz, but that's partially because he doesn't want to clutter his mind with business when the Jazz finally seem primed to make the playoffs again.

"For me, I realized from that first year that anything can happen and anything can change," Hayward said. "Really, as a basketball player in this business, when you start to worry about where you're going to be in the future and what's going to happen the next couple of years, that's when you start to get distracted and you start to not play as well and things start to slip away. I've always been told to control what I can control. For me this year, that's helping the Jazz win as many basketball games as I can, and that's honestly what my focus is on.

"As far as what's going to happen in the future, I don't have a magic lamp or anything to say what the future holds. For me, I'm here right now and happy to be in Salt Lake, happy to play for the Jazz and excited for our upcoming season."

Williamson likes this.
  11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Like him don't love him. Wonder how much room for growth there is in those shooting percentages

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

His threes are off this year so far.

Once he gets that past 35% his %s are fine. Not Klay Thomson but a ok.

I tend to agree with like not love. But really really like. Great #3 guy on a championship team.

Yaosthirdleg and DreamShook like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Parsons WAS better than Hayward.
    AB WAS better than Lowry.
    Luis Scola WAS better than Patterson.
    Beverley WAS better than Lin (still debatable).

This stuff changes, man. We don't live in a vacuum...

hakeem94 and malakas like this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

AB was NEVER better than Lowry. You could argue that the 2 were comparable, but even before Lowry learned how to shoot, a lot of us thought he was better than AB at PG.

DreamShook likes this.
  15. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

disagree.

agreed.

16. chenjy9

Supporting Member

AB was a one trick pony. The only thing he could do was shoot. He was a mediocre passer, a terrible finisher at the rim, and defensive sieve. Lowry was a good finisher, picked up fouls, OK passer, good defender, and solid rebounder for the position.

DreamShook likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

There was no denying the potential of Lowry when he first got playing time as a Rocket; potential only Morey saw when he was languishing on the bench in Memphis. I still remember how pissed everyone was when Morey traded for Lowry and gave up Skip.

AB lack(s)ed the PG skills that Lowry possessed, but his scoring made him better than Lowry at that time. Lowry couldn't shoot for ****.

AB WAS better than Lowry.

#137 DreamShook, Nov 18, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
    hakeem94 and vstexas09 like this.
  18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Strongly disagree with this statement. AB's scoring would only have made him better than Lowry if AB knew how to do anything else competently, especially since we had Scola and Martin in our starting lineup. There is a reason why so many people wanted Lowry to be the starter and AB as a spark plug, since as a player, that's all he could be counted on doing.

19. malakas

malakas Member

The point is that players don't remain static. Some develop and become better (like Lowry, Kemba Walker, Hayward) and some stagnate or are held back by injuries. Something that was true some years ago doesn't mean it will be true forever.

fryjol7 likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...oming-to-a-turning-point-in-its-slow-rebuild/