1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey eyeing Gordon Hayward next summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think we're on the same page really. I'm not a fan of Blake and his injury history. I think power forwards in his mold are a bit obsolete and so I don't really want him on our team. That said, your points are all valid. And Anderson was just abysmal in the playoffs. However, I'd rather look at Serge Ibaka for this team than Griffin believe it or not. He is decent from 3 and can be effective defensively.

On the last point about Gobert, you're probably right. I'll admit I didn't watch a lot of the Jazz. I did love what I saw of Gobert defensively but perhaps he's too slow for these Rockets. He sure made life hell on the Rockets though.

In my head I'd like to team Harden with an elite defensive center and an upgrade at power forward that can still spread the floor. And I think with the way the NBA is going that could actually even be a guy like Paul George. But I know these are all just dreams.

2. AceOfSpades

AceOfSpades Member

I agree about Gallinari, but he just seems the most likely to come here because of the DAntoni connection. Hayward might be a long shot but hopefully he is our target.

Bev+Harden+Hayward+Ibaka+Capela = 3 Point Spacing + Defense

3. aroundtheblock2

"Solid fit" if your goal is to make the playoffs and be absolutely no threat to win a championship. Miami would improve at best marginally if they got Hayward. It would result in Waiters heading out...and thats it. Hayward will be walking into the same situation he's in now...just to a worse team, but they have the same standing in the EC that the Jazz have in the WC, so it basically does little to nothing.

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

No doubt... but some players might be coming to the conclusion that such is about as far as you can get for the next few years anyway.

I mean Hayward on the Celtics isn't winning a championship. And still isn't beating the Cavs. Sure, he's a clearly better player than Jae Crowder, but Corwder isn't horrible at 14 ppg, 6 rpg, 2 apg with 40% three point shooting and solid defense, and more importantly Hawyard isn't an alpha/#1 guy so the Celtics still have a lot of the same problems.

If Hayward wants to win a ring, maybe he could force his way to the Cavs. haha.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Hmmm.. I somewhat agree with you regarding Blake-like PFs. I guess the distinction is it's mainly just cause he's not great defensively. Cause otherwise he's pretty Draymond-like. Better 3 point %, not 7 apg, but 4.9+ for three straight years, comparable rebounder. He just doesn't defend like Draymond... but who does?

I like Serge Ibaka, and he's better than Blake defensively, but not by as much anymore. And not good enough defensively to be a culture changer. Again, that's a guy like Draymond, but you ain't getting that. I think on the Rockets Serge absorbs as much of the Rockets defensive shortcomings, focus on offense philosophy as the Rockets absorb improved defense from Serge. Plus he's now a below average rebounder as a PF. Better than Ryan Anderson though.

6. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Hayward is a nice player, but he won't get you past the Warriors.

The Rockets' best hope is for Harden to recruit Westbrook the way Draymond recruited Durant. Realistically, you need 2 of the top 5 players in the league to even get in the conversation with the Warriors.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just give a quick look at Miami cap situation and it will be very very hard (if possible at all) to get Hayward and another top tier player, unless they want to play in 7...fwiw though, i still see Boston way ahead of anybody.

8. HTM

HTM Member

Nobody is getting us past the warriors with the cap room we have.

We aren't even close.

9. Moahst

Moahst Member

I think even with the injury concerns I would rather have Gallinari than Hayward.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

it seems every time i watch or check the boxscore for hayward, he's had a terrible shooting night. we need knock-down shooters around james

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

well he shot 47% from the field and 40% from 3 during the regular season and 44% from the field and 41% from 3 during the playoffs while averaging over 20 ppg so...

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are u serious? Gallo does nothing for this team. What is adding more role players gonna do for us? We need a guy that can be a legit 2nd option.

13. Reeko

Reeko Member

he would still elevate us to another level as a team, if he wants to come here then u sign him with no hesitation

I agree that we need another top 5 or top 7 player, but those guys are extremely difficult to get...look at how many things had to go right just for us to end up with a top 7 player in Harden

I honestly think that Harden's best shot at a title would be to go to LA in 2019. If they already have PG and still have assets like Ball (assuming they draft him) and Ingram then they could trade them for another star and form a Big 3 down there.

14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Lol at who doesn't want Hayward here....he's the best player we can possibly get in the next 3 years (aside for Westbrook and Cousins which...yeah, they have more talent, but they're also a bigger risk for various reasons), and his contract would eventually be four years long so, i don't really know why we shouldn't want him...there's nothing better out there to get anyway. George is slightly better maybe/probably, but he's not on another level at this point, and Hayward is going to cost a little bit less since George expires next year when the cap will probably rise again.

15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

probably just a typo, I think they meant Houston instead of Heat :rolleyes:

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets aren't getting Hayward.

Blake Griffin is a loser, but regardless he isn't going to the Rockets.

The most likely free agent to join the Rockets is Gallinari, and it will have been an excellent off season if the Rockets convince him to come. The Rockets won't be the favorites.

The Rockets best bet is to have the Clippers start over and find a way to trade for DeAndre Jordan, trade Ryan Anderson and sign Gallinari. Even then, that is bitter sweet because it means Chris Paul is in San Antonio.

Watch and enjoy the Rockets because you are a fan, not because your expectation is to win a title in the next couple of seasons.

ISOBall likes this.
  18. i3artow i3aller

If GH leaves Utah, I don't see him ending up anywhere but Boston.

19. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Blake Griffin isn't obsolete. He is fluid as hell and an extreme athlete with a good mid-range shot, he'd be pretty perfect for our system and would be a dominant roll-man for Harden. If he expanded his range to the 3-point line he would be unreal on this team

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

The most significant thing about this report is probably this: Morey eyeing Hayward means he knows that he can proabably carve out the cap room for him if needed.

Vivi and AceOfSpades like this.