1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey eyeing Gordon Hayward next summer

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

@Pizza_Da_Hut

You're right and you're right.

But I was talking about dumping Ryno to clear cap space for Blake's max contract.

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ah ok. Chances are we choose between Lou Williams and EG, then move forward on that venture too. I actually like the idea of Blake coming here. I don't think he likes playing with CP3 as much as everyone believes, and if we manage his usage we can mitigate his possibility of injury.

Millsap, if smart, would also consider a move to Houston as well because he would fit like a glove in hand. While Clutchfans takes note of a game 6 collapse, the league takes note of how many open shots this offense generates nightly. Even against the mighty Spurs we had a ton of open looks. Players like seeing open looks. But hey, hate the system, hate the leaders, hate the star player, hate it all. Burn it all down! Ra Ra!

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Haha, you said "manage his usage". D'Antoni faints.

4. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I mean, look at what MDA did for the often injured Gordon and Ryno. That was partly usage, partly luck, partly medical staff.

TBF, unless your name is James Harden, your minutes are not locked in in an MDA system.

5. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Gordon Hayward: ignoring Moreys calls this summer

6. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

As much as I like Lou, I'd probably move him over EG. While they can both penetrate, this offense is better suited for a catch-and-shoot perimeter threat like Gordon. I can't count how many times I saw Lou catch, pump fake, take a side dribble, and launch from deep. He made more than I expected but wasn't always efficient. Other times, he'd catch, pump, and hesitate before swinging it to the weak side. Lou is a classic off-the-dribble shooter. Gordon can do both and when he's on, he's just as deadly. Defensively, there's really no debate.

I've always liked Milsap's tenacity and all-around game. He'd be a great fit, in limited minutes, while providing that much needed punch on defense.

Your take on MDA's system allowing for open looks is spot on.

CDrex and Yaosthirdleg like this.
  7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Gordon and Anderson both shockingly averaged about their career average in minutes. Or above. About 30 mins per game. Nene was a good example of maintenance, though.

8. MONON

MONON Member

Hayward would be a great fit here & I'd love to have him. However, he'll either stay in Utah (money) or go to Boston (Stephens). He's not coming here. My next choice would be Millsap (rebounding, post D & 3pt shooting) followed by Griffin (interier D & O)

9. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Not really what I want, just a prediction on my part.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think this is the most likely scenario in the end...i'd still start Gallo over Anderson btw

11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

How good is Gallo really? And another big possibly.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

Probably not, but the point is that there isn't a single player who would make us better than then the Warriors anyway. With Hayward you have a team at least close to compete with them on paper, and you're one addition away to be as good. I mean, i hate to say it but the Warriors are here to stay for many more years so, we either tank for two/three years (and yu know that's not going to happen), or we just build the best team we can.

Agree with this.

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Gallo is a good player, not great obviously, but i have little doubts about the fact that he would make us better starting over Ryan. He would instantly be our second best player and scorer, he can create his own shot in every situation, can attack the basket, pass a bit...also, while he's not a great defender, he's not bad either, people who says "he's not a better defender than Anderson" don't know what the **** they're talking about...one guy is decent, the other is bottom tier. Gallo would at least be able to switch and stay in front of smaller guys (not talking about a CP3 obviously). The guy is also a competitor (not sure this is the right term, what i mean is that he's not a soft ass like Bargnani or an asleep dude like Belinelli). If we can swap Anderson with Gallo in the starting 5 we make an upgrade imo, and if we can sign him to a similar contract he would also be a decent to good asset going forward.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Hayward is the better player

15. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Lol. GFY. Harden is an overrated ball hog who refuses to play defense or move without the ball. Plus- he quit.

16. omgTHEpotential

Okay, I'll bite. Please elaborate. What makes Hayward a better player? And please give me an in-depth analysis here, with actual intellectual arguments.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  17. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

The guy I really want is Porter , unfortunately he is restricted . He is much less proven than Hayward , but has bigger upside in my opinion.

It would be a riskier move but I would prefer it.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

In depth? I don't have to go in depth. It's obvious.

1. Harden is a quitter, Hayward is not. This alone should be enough.

2. Hayward doesn't kill the flow of the offense by jacking pull up 3's. He has more respect for his teammates than that.

3. Hayward does not force it like Harden does. Also, he doesnt almost solely rely on the refs to send him to the line in crunch time. SMH at all the times we get to see Harden running back after a shamefully sloppy drive holding his effing hands up complaining rather than playing D.

4. Harden cares more about partying and being a tool with a fuggin ugly beard. He so effing stupid he dates a kardashian and not even the hot one. Sorry if that isn't in depth analysis like you had asked for but these are valid points when discussing the reasons for him quitting on his team and being so dumb on the court.

5. Harden is a volume scorer who will help his team when his shot is falling and becomes absolutely useless when it isn't. You don't get those bs calls in playoff crunch time either.

6. While Hayward may not be a gifted defender he still plays hard on that end. Harden only plays on one side of the court. For an NBA first teamer he is a disgraceful defender.

It doesn't matter anyway. Hardens game is tailored for a team full of scrubs. He just dominates the ball and that's how he gets his stats. Time to trade him while he has value. Let him quit on someone else. Preferably when we are playing against him.

19. Tha_Dude

Tha_Dude Contributing Member

Hayward is ****, and so is Paul George, imo. They're not game changers.

The question you have to ask yourself is -- If the Rockets could add Hayward, Paul George and Anthony Davis to this team free of charge would it even put us ahead of Golden State? I personally do not think that it would.

But, I wouldn't lose much sleep thinking about it if I were you because we aren't adding any of those players to the roster this offseason.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

@Tha_Dude

I don't think that highly of pg or Hayward , but I'm pretty sure all 3 of those 2 + Davis would make us favorites (especially if they are "free of charge")

That being said , we could only ever hope to land 1 (of pg or gh) and that's not nearly enough. Both are at their peak and even though they would become better through playing with James , but when they are needed as a second option they aren't on the level of KD, kyrie , or even klay, green, love, beal, and a couple of others . In other words they are second tier second options ... With first tier being championship caliber second options (if that makes any sense)

For us to really be considered on par with or have a half-decent chance against the top teams we probably need another top 20 player and then one more top 35-40 guy .

I'm not sure that pg or Hayward are true top 20 players .. They are borderline at best .

For us getting a top 20 player isn't going to be easy . The current top 20 either aren't for sale or aren't a great fit for James . The best option is to get a player that has a chance of developing into a true star. And Hayward and PG have already reached their peak IMO .