1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Morey contacted Deng today

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jul 9, 2014.

1. TheLastPope

TheLastPope Member

While getting Deng will help defensively, Deng can't hide hardens lack of defense

Deng will defend the better opponents SG, SF, and whoever harden defends will still get good numbers, offensively we will be worse and be forced to depend on Lin to be consistent(which I believe Lin can't do)

2. dantian

dantian Member

Deng at 8-10 mil is better deal than Parsons at 15 mil franchise money. If LBJ leave Miami, Bosh may be willing to join Rox. Miami in rebuilding mode with no franchise players on the market this year may be willing to accept sign and trade Bosh for Lin, Jones, picks and cash.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This. You would have BOTH Deng and Parsons. One would be the 6th man. You would also have some cash to go after another play in the $5m-$8m range.

Are there any decent PFs on the market? Maybe Gasol?

Basically you would do what many posters here wanted: shore up the bench and add depth instead of a third star.

4. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

wonder if deng will mind being the 6th man....

5. Karolik

Karolik Member

Deng is not coming to Houston to be the 6th man, don't make me laugh. He will get 10mil+ a year.

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

No Parsons can be the 6th man.;)

There would be plenty of minutes for both and more rest as well.

Plenty of good players take on that role like Ginobili.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

So a $15mil 6th man. Riiiggggt.

8. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Sigh I don't think you people get it...you either use the cap room or you LOSE the cap room and you have only three days in which to do so.

So here is your scenarios at Deng @ $12m, Parsons @ 15m, and Gasol @ $5m

1) Match Parsons use the rest of your cap space to sign Gasol.

2) Decline Parsons use cap space to sign Deng and Gasol

3) Sign Deng and Gasol and then match Parsons after those signings

There is only one opportunity here to get three good players because any two of them will cap you out. If you are going to be capped out you might as well go way over the cap and retain a valuable player like Parsons. Who gives a crap what you have to pay him or if he likes to be a 6th man or not?

Having wing depth like Deng and Parsons creates some very good lineup possiblities not to mention rest for both players who both have played heavy minutes. But yeah lets not match him because I really care about Les's pocketbook...

9. fluors

fluors Member

I feel the same way. Whether Parsons or Deng, either would be a very expensive bench player. I just hope the coaches and management learned from last season; e.g., the Howard/Asik and Beverley/Lin situations. In my mind, the right decisions were made but handled with dispassion. That's one of the reasons I am not in favor of Rondo. His acquisition would send Beverley to the bench (he's not going to like that; it's not inconceivable that he would pout), stunt his development, and possibly affect the value of his new contract. McHale and Morey should, at the very least, make an effort to communicate better to players on a human level the importance of their roles on this team and try harder to get them to believe and trust in his vision. By the way, thanks guys. I get it now. If no Bosh, then Deng, then sign Parsons. It seems okay. I assume that Deng can still be flipped at the trade deadline if things don't work out between he and Parsons, or, if Morey wants to go in a different direction?

10. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

With the price Deng's asking, he's absolutely not worth it. All you have to do is look on basketball reference...his numbers are awful. Not a 3P threat, not a great penetrator/finisher, and takes a lot of long 2s. What I will give him is he's a good defender. But all in all, a Parsons replacement he is not. He's a half court Thibs, JVG type player. Not a fit for what we run here.

11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Depth is good, but two equally good players playing the same position and both deserving to start may not be a good thing. See Asik's pouting.

For the same money if we can get both Deng and Gasol, I'd do that all day.

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Not to mention we'd have close to $30mil tied up at the SF position. Thanks, but no thanks.