1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: McHale is trying to get the team to acquire Mike Dunleavy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jan 7, 2014.

1. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

More than that, he immediately ran back to his office and X'd out the players he wants. Regardless of what his own stats say, McHale's belief in you makes you that less attractive.

Lol @ McHale suggestions.

2. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

No! No! Hell NO!!! WE WOULD BE LOOKED AT AS S.O.F.T!!

3. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

Dragic, I'll give you. He lacked confidence, and just definitely blossomed here in Houston.

Asik, not so much. Yes, it was his "break-out" year. But that Asik call is all Morey, all Morey. Asik in productive/starting minutes anywhere, not just here, is a double-double, top 5 defensive C. Morey knew it and the position was available.

It wasn't like Asik grew into his ability. He was always this good, just had to be a backup.

McHale was brought here to be a rebuilding coach, communicate with his players, and get this team through the rough stage. When we become suddenly relevant, those attributes are useless because he doesn't have the experience with X & O's, handling superstars with role players, rotation, and defensive strategies others do. He was hired to be a cheerful coach that just did whatever Morey wanted. We need that, BUT more now. He's not that.

We're not "selling him short", he's a **** coach; horrible with X & Os, no in-game adjustments on offense, hardly ever any on D also just sometimes the flash in the pan zone, doesn't get the respect from his players, and is a frontrunner.

I threw in the last part about being a frontrunner, but it's what i believe.

4. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Actually dragic was already good before coming here to houston, look at his effeciency while in phoenix... problem is he was playing behind nash, that's why he was so underrated.

5. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

To add: if Lowry didn't get injured, Dragic wouldn't get his chance as well... so it is not Mchale, it was lowry's injury that gave Dragic his opportunity to blossom...

6. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

He was good in Phoenix, but did we know he was THIS good?

I think giving him the confidence is what all mattered. I remember in Phoenix, his issue was his confidence.

But if you really want to nitpick, then yes, Dragic isn't a McHale success-story. I was trying to make it look somewhat better-- but it really isn't, McHale swallows.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

James Harden
    Goran Dragic
    Chandler Parsons
    Dwight Howard
    Carlos Delfino
    Kyle Lowry
    Sam Dalembert
    Marcus Camby
    Jeremy Lin
    Terrence Jones
    Patrick Patterson

8. basketballholic

LOL. Dally blossomed for about 15 games before reverting to his normal underperforming, oversleeping self.

9. DraftBoy10

DraftBoy10 Member

James Harden- No, that's purely situation
    Goran Dragic- We discussed this already and it's a no.
    Chandler Parsons- Sure
    Dwight Howard- What
    Carlos Delfino- He's always been this veteran
    Kyle Lowry - More so Rick then anything
    Sam Dalembert- lol wat
    Marcus Camby- lol wat
    Jeremy Lin- lol wat
    Terrence Jones- yes, okay, i'll give you this
    Patrick Patterson- meh, sure, why not?

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

There was lotsa rumor last year about our interest in him.

EDIT:

I can understand Asik to the Pelicans, and I'm sure we could throw in other pieces. We could do a 3-for-2 kinda trade, as the Pelicans, I think, have an open roster spot.

Making salaries match would be a challenge. Unless you found a third team to absorb Lin's contract, but I'm not advocating anything, just saying.

I'd welcome less minutes for Harden, but that would be....pricey. Not to mention proof that Morey and McHale are chasing offense and not defense.

#350 ROXTXIA, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  11. jeffrds

jeffrds Member

I'd easily give Garcia + D-mo for Dunleavy, seriously.. Did you guys know that OKC wants him aswell?

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Asik played much differently as a Rocket than he did as a Bull. He was less aggressive, played more positional defense, worked on getting rebounds without a rebounding teammate like Gibson/Boozer in Chicago. He worked on his stamina to play 82 games at 30mpg while running at Rockets league high pace.

If you listened to any of Morey's interviews, you'd see that he did NOT expect Asik's performance to be that good last year. Asik molded his game to fit being a starting center that's expected to play major minutes on a team with no other good defender. If that's not McHale's credit, it's certainly someone on the Rockets staff.

13. meh

meh Contributing Member

You mean he played so well Phoenix sent him AND a 1st to the Rockets for Aaron Brook coming off of injury in his expiring year?

14. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

We cant trade Garcia without his consent.

15. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

Phoenix clearly saw their mistake and took dragic back... problem with backing up steve nash is every other point guard would look bad playing behind him...

16. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

If not Dunleavy, how about Jimmer?

He's a tremendous spot-up shooter (.395 3PT% over his 3-year career; an impressive .500 this season) and his value's at an all-time low. I think he'd blossom in this system.

17. basketballholic

HE can't D up. Very redundent with Lin here. Would much rather go after Brandon Rush.

18. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

enough with chuckers...we need a D oriented player that can give some offense..

19. Nook

Nook Member

Dunleavy is an excellent rotation player, a number of contenders want him. Guys that are 6'9", defend, play 3 spots, and shoot 50/40 are always in demand. He would fit really well on the Rockets.

20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

And yet Codman intimates renewed team interest in Eric Gordon.