1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Les Alexander has brought up a coaching change to Morey if things dont go as planned

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 6, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

I don't think Scott Brooks is a much better coach than Mchale.

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

delete....double post.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Ironic, really.

By all accounts Scottie isn't much of a coach either.

So, if McHale were s**t-canned, you'd be going from one can't-get-it-done coach to another.

How-EV-uh, if Scott Brooks = Hello KD, then I'd have to shrug and say, We'd be pretty much coach-proof. Pretty much. (Although OKC could have said the same thing and injuries kinda kept them from realizing their potential, Scott Brooks or no.)

4. OpenLayup-Why3?

You know what, Dwight plying back to back this weekend might be because McHale's ass is burning and he decided to ignore Dwight's health and go for wins now.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

That's the way it should be this year.

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thanks for the info, as always.

Scott Brooks? Meh, marginal upgrade at best, if at all.

Morey looking for another puppet, confirmed!

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wow, WCF in the new tough West. McHale is gone by Allstar.

8. malakas

malakas Member

yeah but it seems to be to be overrating the influence one coach has to attracting one premier Free agent who can go to almost every team he desires and get max money. Is Scott Brooks that influential to KD?

Otherwise we will be left with another bad coach, possibly worse.

And agreed with the troll Openlayup who said that Dwight playing b2b could be from Mchale feeling the hot seat.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

the endless playing and coaching personnel carousel that is the houston rockets. i thought les had finally learnt not to mess about with the coaches.

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

If they bring in Brooks, they better bring in Thibs as his assistance.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

I seriously doubt Morey's head is on the block. He's done everything Les has ever wanted: didn't have a single losing season during rebuilding, brought in multiple superstars, and Les has yet to pay a dime of luxury taxes.

McHale? Maybe. The question is who do you replace him with? The best coaches in the NBA are Carlisle, Pop, Kerr, Budenholzer, Rivers and Stevens...none of those guys are leaving their current situations.

I don't see Tom Thibodeau. Just seems like an illogical match, but maybe I'm wrong.

The most interesting name would be Scott Brooks. Former Rocket, relationships with Harden and Durant, etc.

Frankly, I think coaching is overrated. The overall environment of your program is significantly more important, from ownership to the front office to player development, etc. Coaching is a part of that, but a good coach won't make a bad environment any better.

12. Garner

Garner Member

Thought McHale did an incredibly impressive job last year with the amount of injuries.

Moreover, who's the replacement? Who's the magical name that just makes it work.

13. Garner

Garner Member

For those of you saying Scottie brooks, you're insane.

Brooks is completely failed the Thunder by playing Kendrick Perkins extended minutes in the playoffs. I get the comnection, but if you watched his job w the thunder, you'd be pining for anyone but Brooks.

1 person likes this.
  14. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Yes, yes. OKC is not looking great right now.

15. Nook

Nook Member

He is worse than McHale because he is overly sensitive.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Daryl Morey is going to go Andy Kaufman and get his own Tony Clifton persona.

I could see Daryl with a fake beard, girdle, and glasses.... claim his name is Dolph Naismith and he will be the next Rockets coach.

1 person likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I seriously doubt Morey's head is on the block. He's done everything Les has ever wanted: didn't have a single losing season during rebuilding, brought in multiple superstars, and Les has yet to pay a dime of luxury taxes.

We couldve had Budenholzer and all this coaching bs wouldve been a thing of the past. I say we just keep picking off the Pop coaching tree.

Finsraider might be murray. Murray has two accounts that have been confirmed: Finsraider and DaDakota.

18. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

But we could get Durant first, then fire him if he can not do his job. Durant is not likely to come here to play McHale.

19. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Actually I agree with you one hundred fold that Scott Brooks would not necessarily help lure KD. Unfortunately, I think it's as JR said:

I remember Scottie in the stands during pre-season, being interviewed. Maybe he and Morey have had a talk. Maybe. Just Morey feeling him out on the analytics thing: Jack 3's. Make layups and free throws.

If KD comes here, it's because of James Harden surrounded by a decent supporting cast, not to mention that we'll have the money to pay him (better get working on this, Daryl), and a general sense he can win it all.

20. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm no McHale supporter, but in a bloodbath like the West that seems like an arbitrarily harsh ultimatum. McHale's team overachieved last year with a ton of injuries, and he seems to get a lot out of players that aren't that well-regarded elsewhere (see: Prigioni, Thornton, Brewer, Delfino, Greg Smith). Yeah, his game management is the freaking worst - but that's one aspect.

Sure, if it's between McHale and Mike Budenholzer or Rick Carlisle, we have a coaching deficit. But those guys aren't options. Thibs is the only guy on the market that would be a clear upgrade, and he comes with big red flags in terms of grinding down his guys' health. (I think I'd take Thibs, for what it's worth).