1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Kevin Love has been added on Rockets list

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 16, 2019.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I know Love is a big name, but is he really better than Gordan considering defense? Would we really want to pay him what's likely double what we could extend Ego for?

jcf, Richie_Rich, LorneMalvo and 2 others like this.
  2. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Would we be hard capped if we S&T Shump? What's the largest deal we could offer Shump? Doesn't he need to have 3 guaranteed years to be S&T'd?

3. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Nope, only the receiving team is hard capped

Largest deal we can offer is ~$16 MM without triggering Base Year Compensation issues

Only the first year needs to be guaranteed

justtxyank and BallaDoc like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Well a major problem with our team last year was defensive rebounding. Love is one of the premier guys at that spot.

We were ranked 15 out of 16 in the playoffs in Defensive Rebounding %.

We were ranked 29 out of 30 in the regular season in Defensive Rebounding %

I'd say yes.

He also shoots a higher percentage from three.

Gordon is very good and I'd like to be able to just add Kevin Love with a SNT of Shump + Nene + the NG guys but I doubt that works.

Rudyc281 and charlieaustin like this.
  5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

No hard cap for sending OUT a player via S&T.

S&T deal must be at least 3 years, but only the first year must be guaranteed.

Max starting salary for Shumpert to avoid BYC issues is about $13.2 million.

6. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Exactly. If we thought that losing EGo for Butler is somewhat of a sideways move what the hell is this. We need more versatile D up front, not less. Love is essentially a 5 now and he just doesn’t work well in the new game without being shielded even for all of his offensive versatility. He is going to get isolated and done dirty like Boogie. Against the other bigs he is going to get beasted. He was a great space trash rebounder with a low post game early on to go with his 3 shooting. A more finesse roll player with more skills than a Faried. Good passer. That is about what you are looking at with more offensive ability. Faried was somewhat durable and energetic in a role for us. What is going to happen with Love’s failing body when he gets to us? We already have a MASH unit so he fits right in but is that what we want? If you tell me we are packaging Shumpert and every other small contract for him with our 1sts after no Butler I say find a better target that plays defense and start using some of those trade exceptions on obscure role players out there because we are going to need them. JaMychal Green and Aminu should be on this team but we aren’t getting them so start looking down the abyss, I mean that list for who can help us.

D-rock likes this.
  7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Defensive rebounding and defense were our two biggest issues. So Kevin helps in one area, but hurts the other, can his rebounding outweigh his poor D? Not sure.

Also, Gordon has averaged over 3 made 3's per game for the last 3 years in a row, Love has never done that in his career, despite being on the Cavs who shot a ton of 3's like the Rockets. Dudes a good shooter but I wouldn't give him any advantage over Ego. On the bright side, Bima just said we can S&T Shump at 13 mill, with only 1 year being guaranteed. Meaning he can definitely take Ego's spot in that trade.

We have a ton of TPE's ranging from 1-3.5 mill that we could use similar to the Paul deal to snatch up a bunch of small salaries. @BimaThug - how long would we have to wait until those salaries are combinable in trades if we were to trade for a bunch in the upcoming weeks.

D-rock likes this.
  8. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

If we can get love and bulter, Houston can get champion

lilbird20 likes this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Not to mention he will also be in team USA with harden

treyk3 likes this.
  10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Largest deal we can offer Chumpert is $13.2 without triggering BYC.

Edit - Bima beat me to it.

joshuaao likes this.
  11. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

So a 4 teamer with Philly, Cleveland, and Boston.

Rockets end up with Butler, Hayward, and Love.
    Boston ends up with Paul
    Philly ends up with Gordon, Tucker, and Nene
    Cleveland ends up with Capela.

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

You’d have to wait two months to aggregate them in future trades. Also, they’d need to guarantee any salary they’d need for matching purposes. VERY different situation to late June 2017.

joshuaao likes this.
  13. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Rockets better get some draft picks because they're losing way too much

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Worried he’s past his prime like Chris Paul

15. Rokman

Rokman Member

Where does DeAndre Jordan rank on defensive rebounding think id rather see him here.

Anyone think it could work if we had the following lineup

P.G. - Chris Paul
    S.G. - James Harden
    S.F. - P.J. Tucker
    P.F. - Clint Capela
    ..C - DeAndre Jordan

Can you run an offense with 2 monster pick and roll bigs in the paint? Has that ever been done? Considering that is their only offense I wonder if it would just clog it all up or maybe Paul/Harden are good enough with Jordan/Capela to have the level of communication needed to make it work.

16. Spooner

Spooner Member

No.

BigggReddd and raining threes like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

HELL NO.

You can have 2 guys on the floor that can't shoot beyond 5 ft.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don't think that's the case. He's only 30 and is in the best shape he's ever been in. I think he's adapted from being a big bulky rebounder to an athletic big who can stretch the floor and I think that means he's a more balanced player going into his early 30s. The smarts for position on rebounds and the work ethic to completely change his physique. He'd be everything we wanted from Ryan Anderson and more.

:
    [​IMG]

The Question for me is whether his health issues last year will be lingering or were simply just the team not playing him while they tried to tank.

#418 treyk3, Jun 22, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
  19. BigBum

BigBum Member

Shumpert to cavs
    Celtics, 76ers, cavs all want first round pick.
    Celtics want 2 firsts from rockets.

20. BigBum

BigBum Member

Why everyone loves overpaid contracts so much and love repeater tax so much?

Love double pay 50%
    Hayward overpaid 75%
    Butler overpaid 40% injury prone.