1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Jvg not interested in Rockets because of relationship with owner

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Newlin

Newlin Member

Just because some people on ClutchFans didn't think Sampson did a good job when he filled in for McHale means absolutely nothing. Absolutely nothing.

Remember that people posting on fan boards almost always dislike the coach. Fan boards are probably the last place you should look for determining whether a coach is any good or not.

2. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At this point, if its actively preventing them from signing a quality head coach... who has a chance to turn THIS team/star around... I'm not sure I'd draw a line in the sand with Morey.

Even though a lot of it can be fixed by coaching... its clear that the league has caught up to all the foundational analytical philosophies that once set the Rockets apart. Whether or not Morey is able to find something new or revamp his strategies to exploit another inefficiency is completely up in the air.

He very well may have done as much as he can... and if a new coach needs more power, so be it.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Well that is the question, isn't it?

What coach other there is available that deserves that type of power other than Thibs?

When it comes to Thibs, we don't know how well he will do with absolute power of the organization.

I will say that it will be an issue for the foreseeable future. You have to lock a coach up (Carlisle) or take a chance on an unknown quantity and hope you pick well (Kerr/Stevens).

When you look at the strong GM's/President's in the NBA that are NOT coaches, they mostly developed a young coach or got them before the more recent trend for coaches having organizational control.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

All of that is sound organizational philosophy.

If they didn't have the $200 million mega-star brand/personality of James Harden looming over them, I'd be all for going with a young upstart as coach who could mold a young/talented team into a strong/cohesive unit.

Unfortunately, I also realize that mega-star talents like Harden don't grow on trees, and often teams that win it all are led by mega-stars like himself (more-so than the total team/no-star concept... last won by Detroit).... and I also will acknowledge that when he's "right", and giving max effort, he's one of the 2 to 3 best players in the game.

So, do I gamble that Thibs (who he happens to have a decent relationship with) gets Harden there at the expense of Morey... and at the same time, possibly gets this team to the precipice?

5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

GM candidate I have a eye on is Brian Pauga from the Spurs. He's really young but had started at the bottom of the Spurs organization and worked his way up. He does use analytics but coming from the Spurs I'm sure he picked up something called culture and chemistry. He works closely with Buford.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I love Scalabrine. But I think it'd have to be as an assistant, right? It's not happening Houston, so just a curiosity thing. Dude isn't coming off the street (analyst) straight into NBA head coaching when he was never even a lead assitant? I get that folks like Kidd and Fisher went straight into head coaching... I just don't see that path for Scal.

I think what you're getting at here, which I agree with, is that Messina might be a great head coach, but he also isn't likely to garner the respect of James. he doesn't come across as alpha... like Blatt in Cleveland. And I think you're right there.

I think Brett Brown probably falls into that Messina/Blatt category a bit as well. Though its hard to tell... because you might think Frank Vogel, or Budenholzer would be in that category, too, but ultimately they definitely get respect.

It's a tough characteristic to judge... especially when you are also trying to ensure that person is also a really good coach from and classic coaching perspective.

I still think everything you write above perfectly describes Luke Walton. He'd get respect purely based on the last two years. He gets todays/tomorrows NBA. He seems like he understands classic coaching - be it the every day details or the larger schemes. And I feel he'd respect Les/Morey, and as importantly they'd more fully respect him and his opinions on all matters - player personnel, etc.

I doubt he'd be interested, though.

I know there are other assistant coaches that deserve a look, too. Dave Fizdale. Ime Udoka. Alex Jensen. etc.

But none of those are "splash" names. Walton is the splash name.

7. houtown

houtown Member

Well, it means something, I feel I Am sort of objective when it comes to coaches, and I understand your point on forums, there is always something to complain about and possibly most of the stuff that is seen on forums is to be regarded as just opinion at the time.

I just personally do not see the appeal, granted it was a short span, but I do not see him in the future as being a good coach for the team. If I were management, I would also be sort of perturbed about how he left right before the playoffs also at the time. I could be wrong, but that doesn't mean it does not matter.

8. gdinamite

gdinamite Member

I'm ok with Brown or Joerger

9. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Possible plus side of this is that Les insists on having a big name coach then he has to understand that no big names are going to come in and let Morey coach the team from his laptop. Meanwhile, Morey has to understand he is at least partially to blame for this mess.

Outcome? Morey and Les have a sit down and agree to bring in a big name and let him coach without interference or pressure from the front office. Morey can go back to pulling off crazy trades and fleecing lesser GMs and the Rockets' new coach can break it to Corey Brewer that is not Steph Curry.

I can dream.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">One more Rockets note: Sources say Jeff Van Gundy would indeed be highly interested in a return to Houston if that job opens up as expected.</p>&mdash; Marc Stein (@ESPNSteinLine) <a href="https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/722886177561313281">April 20, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

12. TheGoldenGreek

Stein vs Cyberx in the battle of the sauces?

13. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I believe Cyberx on this one.

14. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Uh oh. Don't do this to us Cyber. DONT!

Going to be a long summer

15. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

JVG speaks so well of the Rockets during the season its hard to think that he's not interested in the job. He may have an issue with the owner but money talks and he is already living in Houston soooooo

16. malakas

malakas Member

Well it also depends on what other jobs hes actually offered.
    As far we know washington only wants Brooks, lakers havent fired scott yet phil jackson may keep rambis and the Kings are talking to mark jackson del negro and walton.

So who else is actually after jvg? If its between noone and us Im sure he will pick us.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

#teamstein #cyberfraud :p

18. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Bring us hope! Defense!

19. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

I don't blame JVG for taking issue with the way he was fired.

Rudy T. - Rockets used his health as an issue
    JVG - Rockets tried to blame him for not making up his mind
    Adelman - I don't but they probably did something to hurt his feeling on the way out
    McHale - Fired after 11 games.

Also a notable list of players being treated like assets. That's gotta earn the rockets some type of reputation.

20. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Ok, talk about burying the lead. That Stein tweet shouldn't raise eyebrows about Cyber, it should raise eyebrows on the "if it opens" part. ANOTHER YEAR OF THE JBB? NO?>!>?!>>!>!