1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Houston has started contacting teams about trading Dwight Howard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

maybe opting in is actually dwight's best move.

if you think about it:

he wants the max and morey won't give it to him. so dwight/fegan decide its best to look elsewhere, hence morey/fegan working the trade route.

however, it looks like there is little interest around the league in giving dwight the max. similarly, there doesn't seem to be any word of big returns for the rockets in a dwight trade.

after morey/fegan shop around and find dwight's actual market value in FA and trade, i think all sides realize that its best if dwight opts in. he won't get paid more than that on the market, and the rockets won't get equal value in trade.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

First, I find it doubtful you can truthfully determine market value for future events -- even if a promise is made on June 29th. Until the market actually opens on July 1st, last bids will never be in.

But more importantly, Dwight will not Opt-in, because it is waaayyyy too risky. This isn't about how much he can make in 2016. This is about how much he can make in total guaranteed years starting 2016. I can't believe he'd choose $20m for one last year risking injury over locking in for another 4 to 5 guaranteed years at even $15m/yr.

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

We need a cyber BOMB / Doc Rocket BOMB / Codman BOMB to update us on this stuff.

What team is willing to offer Howard the most in FA? What team is he interested in signing with? Whats the best current offer? Is he staying or going? What else is happening on the deadline for us?

So many damn unanswered questions. So much curiosity.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yup, not happening, he'll opt out 101%.

5. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I agree and what happens if we don't make the playoffs?

6. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The fact that Dwight wants max pisses me off.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah at this point in his career I would have thought that he's more concerned with winning then money. According to Cyber he's willing to scoop as low as going back to LA/Orlando or even Dallas if any of them offered him a big contract.

There goes my expectations of him taking a pay cut so we can sign some big free agents. I really thought 20 mill per for 3 or 4 years would have been a fair contract considering his age/health and productivity.

But no, there will be one desperate shopper with a **** load of money this summer, and they will offer him max, and we will loose him for nothing.

I just hope we can find out what team it is that's willing to offer him max or the closest to it so we can try to make a deal at the dead line.

Remember guys, Hassan Whiteside who is 26 years old (the same age as Harden), and is healthy with very little milage has a max of 21 million this summer. To me thats the only center we should be focused on this summer.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Great post.

9. deshen

deshen Member

This would be a huge mistake unless Harden changes his attitude on the court. It might be the last mistake for Morey too, in rockets.

10. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

things can change between now and then, you're right. but they are talking to teams to see who would be willing to give him the max. if the best they can find is $15M/yr for 4-5 years, he might as well stay and work out an extension with the rockets. the whole point of leaving is to find the max that morey won't give.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Don't care about no records.

Rockets, as they've shown, can beat anybody or lose to anybody.

But but but those teams suck! Doesn't count!

Yeah, if only we could skip the fact they went 0-5 against the Nets & Nuggets. Or losses to the Kings, Magic, Pelicans, Wizards, & Blazers.

7-4 is 7-4. 40-23 is 40-23.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Only if he has a severe injury he will opt in. And even then it's up to debate when there are teams like BKN around.

No way the best he could get is 15 per. If so he should fire Fegan and hire basically anyone off the street and he can find better contract.

Trade value is different than market value when you talk about an expiring.
    Some teams think : why trade assets when I can just give the most money in a few months and sign him?

13. Vivi

Vivi Member

Agree.

Overall it's not that surprising though, to me it seems like we just play better basketball without Dwight, i'm not necessarily saying that we're stronger but...having him inside it's good cause he gives you some easy layups but on the other hand he packs the paint a lot, he doesn't move the ball well/fast enough, he doesn't set enough and good screens, most of times he doesn't roll well either (Asik was definitely a better pick & roll player, Dwight just doesn't like that, Stan knows this, Nash said that too)...i like Dwight, but at this stage of his career he should be better in understanding the game and in some aspects of it.

Now i would still like to have him back, but not even close to a max deal...he said yesterday that he didn't ask for a trade, well, if he's asking for the max he's basically asking to be traded.

14. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVertlcaINBA
    Sources: Miami, Atlanta, Memphis have engaged in advanced talks on 3-team trade centering on Horford, Conley, Whiteside and Dragic

Wojbomb

the Whiteside and Dragic are true but for Conley and Horford

15. OTMax

OTMax Member

:eek: We're screwed...

16. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Sorry false woj

17. Ming The King

Ming The King Member

Bobby Marks retwitted and then
    Bobby Marks ‏@BobbyMarks42
    Sorry folks. Fake account was retweeted.

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure if just pie in the sky but a starting starting 5 of Harden, Dragic, Ariza, Smoove and Whiteside would make up for loss of Dwight.

Then trade TJ and Dekker to Celtics for Rozier/Avery and a pick.

Harden/Thornton
    Dragic/Beverley
    Ariza/Deng
    Smoove/Putney
    Whiteside/Capela

19. Cashmoney

Cashmoney Member

No, it wouldn't. Dragic is supremely overrated on this board. And he's a poorer defender than Harden. He shoots just 33% from three and he's been less than impressive sharing the ball with Wade, he would be even worse here. He is gun shy and doesn't take open shots. He dribbles the air out of the ball for twenty seconds and drives into the paint, comes out the other side and takes an awful mid range step back that never goes in or he tries to bounce pass it to Whiteside (why?! LOB it).

20. SRR21

SRR21 Member

Whiteside looking for max 4yr 90mil range contract

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.