1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight isn't "thrilled" with PG situation.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 8, 2013.

1. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I don't think so. This is a different team at a different time.

2. valorita

valorita Member

This is stupid, media just trying to make something of nothing.
    Dwight isn't "thrilled".
    He could be "satisfied", "content", etc...

Lock it up

3. torocan

torocan Member

Okay, except that makes even less sense, since the cap space WAS and still IS in the hands of Morey.

Unless he's arguing that He would make better use of the cap space than Daryl Morey?

Let's keep in mind, Daryl Morey has the ability to move every contract on the roster. If he felt there was more value out there than Lin for similar cap space, he would move Lin. If Morey valued the free cap space more than Lin, he would have cleared Lin off the books.

And the argument for the 1+8 is debatable on it's own since open cap space is only valuable in the signing of FA's and of lower value in terms of trades. Given that most impact players are currently under contract with other teams, you're not going to get an $8M impact player like a Redick or Jennings without sufficient contracts of size to form the nucleus for a trade.

Given our 4 largest contracts are Dwight, Harden, Asik and Lin, if Lin magically disappeared off the Roster tomorrow, then our only trade asset of any size would be Asik. If we wanted to make a high impact trade for a $15m-$20m player, without Lin on the roster we'd basically need to trade Asik PLUS half of the roster.

With Lin on the roster, you can package any combination of Asik, Lin or Asik + Lin and filler to reach a trade of up to $20M+. Would the open Cap Space be THAT much more valuable to the team? Especially when you're *also* giving up the skill set?

Morey didn't move Lin at the mid-season deadline last year, or during the off-season so clearly Morey didn't feel like there was any players available that made sense in terms of trading Lin outside of his pursuit of Chris Paul.

And while there are other players in the $8m ball park, Morey didn't pursue ANY of those other players nor was he interested in pursuing those players. Morey pursued a grand total of two impact players during the off season... Dwight (which he got), and Chris Paul (who decided to stay with the Clippers).

Redick was acquired through trade. Jennings was acquired through trade. OJ Mayo and Monta Ellis were FA's but are both SG's and would have questionable value with Harden on the roster. Calderon was acquired through FA and is debatable as an upgrade given that he's 31 and plays less defense than Lin. Millsap is already available for trade with or without Lin and not available through FA.

So where are the tons of players that fit the roster better than Lin, or are clear upgrades to Lin that Morey had to pass on? Or is this theoretical value based upon theoretical players that theoretically would have become available in Free Agency?

Opportunity cost is a fine argument when projecting forward, but not so good when you look at the actual opportunities that were available.

If Morey moves Lin, then I trust that it is the best decision for the Rockets. If Morey doesn't move Lin, then I trust that that is also the best decision for the Rockets.

Sure, in a vacuum I would agree that giving Morey cap space is better than no cap space. In the reality of what is available during a specific year, and the needs of the team in a given specific year, that argument is less compelling.

4. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

People outside Morey's office aren't privy to what is available to him in any year. "The reality of what is available" i.e. transactions which go through, information leaks, unrestricted free agents, are only the tip of iceberg of all the moves available. To paraphrase Jason Friedman on a Utah Jazz podcast, the Rockets had a hundred trades on the table at deadline. http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=8476970
    We made two trades and picked up Aaron Brooks.

We are virtually in an information vacuum as to what those other 98 trade opportunities were.

5. webattorney

webattorney Member

response

As far as I am concerned, currently the market values Lin more than Felton or AB. The most objective indicator of a player's value is their salary. When Felton or AB gets paid more than Lin, I will consider an argument that they are better than Lin. With AB, I can see one or two aspects of his game which might be better than Lin's, but with Felton, I don't see any aspect of his game that is better than Lin's, except for maybe he feels confident enough to jack up 30 shots a game.

1 person likes this.
  6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Gilbert Arenas>>>> Lebron James by this logic.

7. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Lin got an outrageous contract, he probably only deserves 4 mil/year max. How much you get paid in the NBA doesn't always determine your worth, look at CP for example. The insecurities of LOF are laughable.

8. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Your arguments are laughable. All I am saying is that we can sit here and argue on this issue forever. The most objective factor of a player's value is the contract amount. $4 Million a year is just your opinion, nothing more. My opinion is that Lin is worth around $7 to 8 Mill USD in NBA.

9. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

When it comes to a max contract, there is a ceiling, so even though LeBron should get paid $50 Mill per year, he isn't going to get paid. Max contract is a little different. However, Gilbert Arenas didn't get a good contract after a while.

10. knickstorm

knickstorm Member

hahhaha keep trolling. I've watched every Knick game this year, he's terrible. 11ppg, <40% fg shooting,and 29% from 3-point-range.

If Jeremy Lin played like Felton he'd rightfully be run out of town.

1 person likes this.
  11. Karolik

Karolik Member

Felton got man t***, Lin doesn't.

12. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Sure, what we think of a particular player's value can change depending on one's performance, but with Lin, his performance and ability now is not all that different from what was expected. I am saying the player's contract is still the best indicator of the player's value because the contract is a result of viewing the player from many teams, not just within Rockets. It's demand and supply, but nothing is perfect.

13. webattorney

webattorney Member

Response

Agreed.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Contract isn't most objective as a lot of factors go into it such as rookie, drafted, restricted free agent, unrestricted free agent, bird rights, did a stupid GM luck into salary cap space, how many teams are over cap, over luxury tax, is player willing to accept pay cut to keep playing in San Antonio, etc.

15. EnergyGuy

EnergyGuy Rookie

You know why the Knicks are trying to trade Iman Shumpert?

Because there's no one outside of Melo and a healthy Tyson Chandler that has any trade value.

You don't think Dolan, Woodson and the Knicks players/fans secretly wished they had Lin back instead of Felton and a one year rental of Jason Kidd?

16. jvu

jvu Member

I'm okay with trading Howard for Love + fillers

Defense would suck though...

17. cfansnet

cfansnet Member

Totally agree. And you should probably ignore Karolik as he's a known troll.

18. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

No wonder they didn't think Lin "fit" with the Knicks. Lin actually wanted to win lol

19. lfw

lfw Rookie

If Lin is worth $4 mil/year max, then how much you think Bev and AB would command on the open market?

20. timyeung

timyeung Member

Saved their season. Plays team basketball. Makes his teammates better, but is always ready to credit his teammates for the win, even during Linsanity. Yup, Lin didn't "fit" with the Knicks. He doesn't have Melo's superstar self centered and ball hogging "me" attitude.