1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dwight isn't "thrilled" with PG situation.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 8, 2013.

1. DocRock

DocRock Member

I'd say they value it almost, but not quite as much as fouls drawn & PPP on drives to the basket.;)

1 person likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So Brooks is a better spot up 3 pt shooter. Now who is going to create offense with the second unit? We have enough spot up shooters. Pretty much every rotational player besides Howard can shoot the 3. Those threes are created by Harden, Parsons, and Lin(statistically one of the best slashers in the league) slashing.

3. Panda23

Panda23 Member

dolan pls

4. Remii

Remii Member

For the Rockets to play how you prefer _ they need a coach who can draw up plays and a big man with an offensive skill set that doesn't have to be right up under the basket to score IMO...

I'm not doing backflips over the point guards we have on this roster either (except for Canaan) but D Wade won with White Chocolate so that means the Rockets point guard position isn't bad off...

5. torocan

torocan Member

Actually, this is an incomplete definition.

If you're assessing value relative to the actual contract amount, then you'll get a different valuation than looking at absolute value.

So, for example...

Beverley at $1M is relatively more valuable versus his contract than Lin at $8.3M if you believe Beverley is playing above a $1M level and Lin is playing at about fair value for his contract.

However, if they BOTH made $1M, who would be the higher value player? In other words, if you're not considering salary, which player makes your TEAM a better TEAM? In my view that's Lin.

I think an easy way to back that up is look at it in terms of Free Agency. If Beverley and Lin were free agents tomorrow, even excluding Lin's marketing popularity, what would they get in the open market as Point Guards?

Lin would easily get $7M+.

Beverley would be lucky to get $3M. I can say that because Tony Allen makes $3.15M and would anyone here really want to argue that Beverley is a superior defender to Tony Allen?

In terms of trade Value, Lin is a higher value player. Strictly speaking you'll get a bigger contract back on a 1 for 1 basis.

However, Beverley adds more to an existing trade in terms of being "sweetener", in that his relative contract value adds more per dollar to the entire trade package than a player like Lin (or even Asik).

It all depends on what you are valuing and in what context. If you are talking absolute basketball value to a typical team, Lin will win you more games than Beverley. The concept of defensive stoppers is great, but Basketball is ultimately about putting the ball in the hole.

Look at it this way, a team full of defensive stoppers won't win you many games if none of them are decent scorers. A team full of high scoring players can beat just about anyone on any given day.

Great offense always beat great defense, it's just that great defense is more consistent. Defense is most useful when you can't score. The rest of the time, Offense is more useful.

1 person likes this.
  6. lfw

lfw Rookie

If that's all it takes to be better than someone, then so be it.

7. lfw

lfw Rookie

You might want to watch a few more Knicks games.

8. Chris Jent MVP

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to torocan again.

Excellent post.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yup... I live in the Northeast and personally know some Knick fans(one of them is my suite mate). He is pissed off that Felton is the starting pg for that team when Lin could have been. Felton sucks dick this season along with the Knicks. Karolik is just a damn troll.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Uhmmm...what the hell are you arguing about? Did you not see me agree with you? I said Lin was better and that AB has played like 09 AB in a couple of games but that doesn't mean that he is vintage 09 AB. You are being narrow with your assumption on the PT point though, I think the prudent choice would be to wait and see for both of us. Don't argue where there is nothing to argue about.

1 person likes this.
  11. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

correct in most facets. I was trying to keep it simple, but on the balance yes, I agree.

#1011 studogg, Dec 10, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you guys are so funny. Our pg situation is fine for now. It's clear the organization is happy with Bev/Lin/Brooks. If a crazy opportunity came for any upgrade - sure they would do it, but that's generally true across the board.

I think Lin is progressing nicely. While they will never be top pgs in the league, it wouldn't make that much sense anyway consider Harden is ball dominant. Same reason you wouldn't put a super star point guard next to Kobe, MJ, or Wade.

With Jones stepping up this team doesn't have a ton of weaknesses. The team is ok for now and you just let it go and see how they grow together. They just need time to gel and learn to play better as a unit.

13. Chris Jent MVP

Nash isn't a super star point gaurd? :eek:

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

You are so wordy on things that are inherently simple. I don't know if you're a lawyer or not. I would not be surprised if you are. The way you basically twist and turn on something so simple is very lawyer-esque.

It's really as simple as the following when comparing Beverley and Lin with respect to their contracts.

Beverly + FA making $8.3mil

vs.

Lin + FA making the minimum.

Which is better? FAs that drew in the neighorhood of $8.3mil/yr include Monta, Jennings, Calderon, Mayo, Millsap, Reddick for this past year. To give people an idea of what the salaries are like. Minimum guys would be Garcia and Casspi types.

I don't really have a preference personally. But in the hands of Morey, I would prefer Beverley and the capspace rather than Lin and minimum guy. Hence, IMO Beverly is more valuable.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly my point. How well did that work out?

16. langal

langal Contributing Member

I think they knew they were not getting a prime-Nash. injuries aside, it was not working well. Gary Payton didn't work out either. Derek Fisher did work put. hmmm... maybe Lin for Fisher? I think OKC would be amenable to that.

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

Felton is horrible. might be a good "fit" on a team thought. Hell if Toney Douglas was the savior here for a few weeks...

Still can't believe how badly run the Knicks are to just let Line go for absolutely nothing. Dolan , Melo, and JR Smith making decisions ... Isaiah probably still has he owner's ear..

18. DocRock

DocRock Member

Pippen & Lebron are essentially point-forwards.

And I'd argue that Kobe would have 7 rings if Phil had been able to get him to play off the ball like he did with Jordan. It cost them against the Pistons & Celts.

19. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Being a fan of your posts, I am pretty sure you are better at math than this.

"8+1, 1+8. Which is more valuable? Clearly the 1 as that gives you the ability to get 8."

You are confusing their value with the value of their complement.

20. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

He's clearly referring to the value of their opportunity cost: "...in the hands of Morey, I would prefer Beverley and the capspace."