1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Dmo to sign with Jazz if Favors misses extended time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It will be interesting to see if GM D'Antoni and Emperor Les decide to match an offer than DMO gets.

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Onto the 10th page. This thread is well on it's way.

Came in here to say that my sauces have informed me that DMo may sign with some other team or may sign with the Rockets or may just chill it out.

Yule-C

3. topfive

topfive CF OG

That's exactly what I was trying to say earlier. Morey is dogged by his reputation as a cold, non-caring, stats-focused geek. Lots of people take that and add "doesn't know practical basketball" and "finds it difficult to relate to actual human beings." That doesn't mean it's true, though. I've met the guy and spoken to him a bit (we have a mutual friend) and he's not only friendly, he's downright personable and fun to talk to. Our friend in common has hung with Daryl a few times and says he's a cool guy to be around. That may not make him a great GM, obviously, but the man is far from the stereotypical geek with no social skills.

BigMaloe, Batman Jones and bulkatron like this.
  4. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

5. basketballholic

No contingencies. Just two GMs agreeing to a trade and one GM telling the other what contract they won't match.

6. basketballholic

I've only named the team about 15 times.

7. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I agree. And they also don't look up mediocre injured players with long term contracts that hurt cap flexibility.

8. rocketjunkie

rocketjunkie Member

I read this forum a lot and the threads - I have not heard you mention the team by name although maybe I missed it. Why don't you enlighten us?

BigMaloe, Cashmoney and topfive like this.
  9. marky :)

marky :) Member

He wants you to confirm his confirmation with another confirmation first.

topfive likes this.
  10. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

It's Brooklyn Nets. I got my sauces too

Mazulis likes this.
  11. Mazulis

Mazulis Member

LOL

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Lmao, This made me spit out my cran-appple and it was well worth laugh

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sorry, that is actually more complicated than what Will said. He said their strategy is just to hold out and wait, even if it meant holding out for an "extended time" injury.

Your idea was there is 101 different ways DMo is turning down offers all summer for some future super deal. Sorry, Will is right that this Utah scenario is much simpler than any of your convoluted ideas. Plus, waiting on an injury to a Rox player or an opposing player has been suggested by 101 different posters here because of it's simplicity.

And then you post this piece of your "less complicated" scenario.

Why make the lopsided trade, if your end of the bargain is to out-bid Morey. What is your incentive? Just keep Diaw and outbid Morey.

You see, your idea to circumvent the SnT rules requires incentive by both teams. Utah would have to get DMo for something Morey *would* match. And it would have to be big savings to warrant making such a stupid and lopsided trade, otherwise just sign DMo outright, which is what this cyberx news is about.

And DMo would have to SIGN this discount deal for Utah!! And you've never said DMo would sign at a discount.

bottomline: Quit turning the thread into one of your complicated scenarios. It isn't. It's simple like Will and cyberx and everyone else here is talking about.

Batman Jones likes this.
  14. vator

vator Contributing Member

I can't wait to see how this plays out (if there is actually anything here to play out) because it just doesn't seem to make sense for Utah right now to sign DMo to anything that the Rockets couldn't easily match. They would need to make a trade to shed salary in order to sign him to a longer deal and not completely screw themselves down the line because if they come in with a one year deal with the following year non guaranteed or partially guaranteed as Bima mentioned, I can't imagine the Rockets not matching that. That also seems exactly like the kind of deal the Rockets want him to sign and he wants something more substantial. This just doesn't seem to make much sense at the present.

The Nets would be much more scary and more of a threat, but if they REALLY wanted him, they would have thrown a big contract at him by now. It's not like they weren't big time players in free agency this summer and they were not shy about offering restricted free agents. They offered Allen Crabbe 4 years 75 million and Tyler Johnson 4 years 50 million. Why hasn't DMo gotten an offer from them if they wanted him?

#194 vator, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  15. hvic

hvic Member

It was fun watching Dmo play for the rockets and I wish him the best even if he signs with the j*zz

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

I bet there hasn't been ten 36.8% 3PT / <60.2% FT seasons in league history with a reasonable amount of attempts.

DMO is unique both good and bad.

17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

In early December, Varejao ended his RFA hold-out by signing an offer sheet with the Hornets that the Cavs matched. I see Morey matching anything Utah would pay, just like what happened with Varejao.

It's not like DMo is Utah's *only* injury replacement option throughout the NBA. So, they won't break the bank. What makes sense to me is they extend something to DMo that he'll sign, and if Morey matches, they move on to another plan. But they don't do something desperate like $12m+/yr. In other words, this was also what Morey planned the whole time. "DMo, go find market and we'll match it. In the meantime, you can always sign this."

Just like Cleveland did with Varejao, some 8 years ago.

BigMaloe likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Utah really wanted to "sign and extend" George Hill before he hit the FA market as a UFA. With Utah's available cap room, do they have the space to do both? Sign & extend Hill + offer DMo a competitive offer sheet?

19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Is there a deadline for them to extend Hill?

20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good question. I am not really sure to be honest.
    Speaking of extensions...they also were looking at Favors..but that seems less clear now with his injuries.