1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Celtics approached the Rockets on interest in Gordon Hayward

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Nov 13, 2018.

1. txn

txn Member

Can we offer our picks for Al Horford instead? Boston may keep Gordon Hayward. We already got our Gordon :D

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Most people bashing Gordon about his contract but want to trade for Otto? What has he ever done?

3. Convictedstupid

I believe Horford waiving his Player Option would make him an URFA. Not sure he'd do it.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Other than being one of the elite players in the NBA in terms of efficiency, nothing.

I don't deny that Porter is overpaid, but he's an ELITE role player.

Would I rather have Jimmy Butler? Sure, but that ship sailed. We aren't going to get a star by trading our grab bag of trash. Our only hope is a team wants to move on from a player that is overpaid but still useful to us.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the price is right, I would roll the dice on Otto Porter. He is only 25, 6'9", can play the 3/4 and hit the 3pt shot. He really seems like he has untapped potential in the right system.

I'd rather have Butler. But we have to see who might be available now.

6. HP3

HP3 Member

Im down with the Otto Porter movement. That immediately gives us a starting 3. Not to mention our bench becomes that much stronger AND we can give Clark(I dont know how much we are playing him at the 3 tbh) Tucker's back up minutes. BUT, if we dont want to lose EG or Tuck, we'd probably have to give them 2 first rounders and Nene, Chriss, and Knight.

But I dont know if Tilman wants to pay for someone who's not a bonafide star.

7. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

In Morey we trust.

CC is a elite role player making 15-18 mill we don’t need elite role players on ridiculous contracts.

Hayward if he can return to form is a star imo and can be a robin to harden Batman.

Otto never will be a star.

8. malakas

malakas Member

What he hasn't done is the question.
    1) He hasn't suffered a carreer threatening injury
    2) He hasn't signed a contract with a base salary of 31 millions.
    3) He hasn't been drafted by Boston to have Ainge as his GM. Instead he has the most imcecile GM.

lionaire, Rudyc281 and HP3 like this.
  9. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Man Hortford would be perfect...slide PJ to the 3, Hortford is also a playmaker, a great passing big. I wish we were approached with Hortford.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But... are you sure about that? The thread is still active, so, there's hope, right? :D

heypartner likes this.
  11. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Nice. And my reply is

1. He’s never been a all star
    2. He’s never lead a franchise
    3. He’s never averaged 20 points in a season

malakas likes this.
  12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't think any knowledgeable NBA fan expects Porter to become a superstar and I think that's where your perception of Porter is skewed. Is he overpaid? Yes but so is a 2018-and-beyond Gordon Hayward. The difference here is that Otto Porter is a souped up version of Trevor Ariza. He plays great defense and can hit baseline 3s at ridiculous efficiency.

I would rather have a now-25 year old Otto Porter with 3 years $81 million (including this year) than a coming-back-from-a-ridiculous-injury Gordon Hayward with 3 years $98 million (including this year).

Do we need elite role players making ridiculous money? No team does or should but if you're going to ask me which player fits better with Capela-Paul-Harden-Tucker, there's evidence that an elite 3&D player is better suited than another mouth to feed, especially one coming back from a nasty injury.

clutchdabear, Rudyc281 and malakas like this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

How's Otto Porter's defense, anyone watch Washington lately?

14. malakas

malakas Member

And henceforth he won't cost an arm and a leg that Hayward will.

Don't kid yourselves that we can dumb Knight and Chriss plus a couple of picks to Boston in return of Hayward.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. HP3

HP3 Member

But can we do that for Porter??? Looooooool

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Was everybody this down on Paul George returning to form as Hayward?

malakas likes this.
  17. tc0330

tc0330 Member

if you had the ability to get hayward, jaylen and rozier but had to give up gordon, pj, knight, maybe chriss and 1 or more firsts, would you do it?

18. malakas

malakas Member

Their defence is one of the worst in the league.
    You can't judge when his teammates hate him and there's not even a bare minimum of communication.

Rudyc281 and HP3 like this.
  19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I 100% agree with everything you've said, but I suppose this is an exercise in psychology. There are probably a lot of people on this board who would dump Hayward at the first offer of a bag of chips because it's an avenue to get out of that monstrous contract. However, I'm of the opinion that a diminished asset can be made valuable again with a little time, and TLC. Perhaps Hayward, in a couple of months, will look better than he does now, and they can increase the offer that they get for him. If he doesn't, then honestly they're in no worse position than they're in now.

20. malakas

malakas Member

yes a lot of people were down on George doubting if he would ever be the same the first 1 and a half season after he came back.

Rudyc281 likes this.