1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Sure, common sense, but I highly doubt he will be fired. I’d bet my life savings on that.

2. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Shumpert and picks for Butler? Lol, sure why not. While we’re at it let’s trade Gerald Green and a pick for Davis.

3. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

The Rockets would be better off letting Shumpert walk, then use the money to sign a free agent like Darius Miller. 6’8” guy that can play defense, knock down the three,rebound, and run the court for fast breaks

pippendagimp likes this.
  4. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

What the **** o_O

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Fair enough, although i wonder if with a guy like Dedmon (i like him too) we wouldn't be still too weak/short...he's not that different from Clint in terms of build, and he's also almost 30. You make a good point with the Bucks but Lopez is still very big and Giannis is a freak which makes a big difference by just being out there...like, they're overall very big and long, our version with a 30 and 34 years old Dedmon and PJ...eh.

Mathloom likes this.
  6. dwhite

dwhite Member

He has coached awful in this series and prior ones. Double double machine sits on the bench this entire series. Yes, switching Faried and small ball option Schumpert puts us up 3-2 with a closeout tonight. How about a timeout at the end of game 3 instead of having Paul go iso against the best defender in the nba. How about not having Nene covering Curry on his game winning 3 pointer in game 2. Don’t even get me started on the Spurs series a couple years ago where he didn’t play Harrell one minute in the series ( sound familar).......I could go on and on. Just a horrible post season coach.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  7. Vivi

Vivi Member

We won't have any cap space regardless of Shumpert, only the MLE, likely the tax payer one which is around 6M. That's why you can think about resign him for one season, just to have a contract to be traded.

I like Darius Miller though, and fwiw Morey was in Germany a couple of years ago watching him, sucks he didn't sign him.

mikol13 and pippendagimp like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

The reason they coouldnt defend is they couldnt score, missed buckets give opponents confidence and easy transition opportunities.

Offense and defense are all connected if your defense is great you have more attempts to score and if your offense is great your opponents get tired guarding you which helps your defense. Why do you think Spurs before and Bucks now have great scoring nights? It's because they are elite defensively and the opposite should be true as well.

Bottom line is Rox have 0 excuse not to win this series. If they lose I want a total rebuild this **** is gonna go nowhere.

9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

News flash, Philly is over the cap and gave up all of their assets to get Butler and Harris. BUTLER IS AN UFA. He leaves, they get nothing and cannot sign anyone else. IF he wants to come to Houston after striking out elsewhere that is the way to do it. Otherwise, continue in blissful ignorance of the CBA or Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Seriously, you should read it or follow the GARM more closely before posting. Why do you think we are even proposing using Shumpert's contract who the Rockets don't want to resign? There must be some reason for it other than we are all idiots for you to mock. When you are over the cap and a taxpayer you can only sign vet mins and ONE $5.3M player slot (it can be split up). That is what Philly is dealing with as well. They want to keep their assets to use above the cap. Having Shumpert as an expiring next season could be valuable in trade for them to get something back they want and until then he could provide rotational wing help or even start. Philly had to give up everything for Butler and Harris and lost almost all of their depth. The Harris trade was insurance for losing Butler.

10. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

I can mention what I want. Your reply is what was not needed lol.

11. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Shumpert is not under contract and the rockets do not have 2019 first round picks or assets.

Butler forced his way out of Minnesota so he has more or less franchised himself with Philly at this point.

12. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Rockets could bring back Dwight 'dirty thong' howard for cheap.

Resurrect the career of super under-wear man!

13. WestendMassive

Morey will pursue Butler, get nowhere and end up signing Evan Turner or some other shitball player

B-Bob likes this.
  14. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I heard there was another Rockets game this year

Patience, WarEagleRockets and Will like this.
  15. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

I will repeat we would never trade CP3 for cap space. How many trade exceptions have we used recently? We currently have about $15M right now from 7 contracts. They cannot be aggregated. Are we going to start turning around and trading a bunch of future 2nds to use those after we used future 2nds to create them in the first place? You are throwing away an immediate contributor and only other star for a maybe. Those deals don't happen. IF we did something, it would have to be a 3 or 4 way at the same time. We don't have the roster slots for that many players. Again, Lakers and who else for what?

Morey will trade just about anybody except Harden but it is going to take a long, long way from where we are before this is even a reality.

16. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Butler decision gonna depend on team USA commitment. Gotta have stability going into an Olympic year especially sinc e dude trying to compete on team USA.

#156 smoothie_king, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  17. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

needs to be. I like the guy but we need results in the playoffs

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

regardless of whether we win tonight, adding someone with length that can defend and score should be a priority. Jimmy Butler definitely fits the bill. I have no idea how we can afford him, but that's Morey's problem.

we have guys that give rare production, like PJ and Gordon. Gordon is in the last year of his contract ($14 mil) and PJ has 2 more years ($8 mil a piece). This is the backbone of your team right there, not named Harden. They are both getting older and injuries are a factor for Gordon, but you can't win a championship without these guys. It's hard to see how trading either one would make you more of a contender ...unless you are trying to rebuild the team ...which probably shouldn't be a consideration until Gordon is a free agent.

So we've got core players:
    Tucker at $8
    Gordon at $14
    Harden at $38
    CP3 at $38 (untradable)

Capela at $15 mil
    Clint was #2 in points for the team during the reg season. he has length, he defends, and he can rebound. He has shortcomings as well, and i'm not sure he'll ever develop into a complete player, but he's on a good contract, he provides a lot of production for the team, and he's certainly a tradable commodity. Assuming he stay that's ....$113 million. The salary cap is $109 million.

I don't see how we are in the market for Jimmy Butler unless we are tearing up this team. Not sure that's a good idea

#158 Aruba77, May 10, 2019
    Last edited: May 10, 2019
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I understand all that, what I'm saying is that the offense was elite after KD went out. The rockets scored 27 points on 21 possessions in the fourth quarter, that is elite offense. They weren't struggling to score.

20. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

CyberX is Steve Kerr, confirmed. Here to sow discord and division among the Rockets the night of the biggest game of the season.