1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's what i wanted to know about Shumpert, if we can sign & trade him without end up hard capped that's great, even though Sixers might not have interest in burning salary for him, and he may not be interested in being in Philly...on the other hand no one is offering him 13/14M next season so, who knows.

On Clint don't get me wrong, i like him and don't want to move him unless it's really worth it/necessary ( @Mathloom ), but if we can get multiple assets, retain/reuse some of them, keep Gordon and get DeAndre, i think it's something to consider.

luckyman76 likes this.
  2. rockets11206

rockets11206 Member

why tf are we worried about jimmy butler when we have a game 6 tonight? who gives a damn, when this could be our best shot. Its ridiculous this is being even discussed at this point. If the rockets dont win this series, we are never beating GS

RichieBanks likes this.
  3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

EGo & Shump (SnT)? And overlap/duplication with both JEHj and CP3???

ROXTXIA likes this.
  4. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Would Butler devalue himself getting with his third team in three years?

Butler taking Toronto to game 7 like he tryna get a $150 million dollar deal like Nikola jokic?

5. TimDuncanDonaut

Definite yes if we can get Butler.

Regarding MDA hot seat:
    The players are playing for the city, the fans and themselves. Team is pretty full in the motivation department already, but if to add one more reason; win this series for MDA.

Here's a dude that popularized this current NBA system, which Kerr, at one time, was a GM for (the Suns), no doubt copied and pasted for his GSW success. To warriors' credit they took it further with defense and won championships with it.

This match up is of the sensei (MDA) facing the student / plagarizer (Kerr). Sensei, the original architect, with Bzdelik's defense needs to come back strong with a good game plan and adjustments.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

How would we actually acquire Butler? Giving up something of semi-equal value?

7. Newlin

Newlin Member

This really isn't news. It's just common sense. Sure, if the Rockets can't beat the Warriors without Durant then someone has to be blamed. No way Tilman or Morey want to blame Harden or Paul. So, that leaves the coach. Coaches are routinely fired when players come up short. Good coaches are fired all the time. It's just common sense that MDA would be on the hot seat if the Rockets fail to get out of the second round. I could see Tilman wanting someone younger as head coach.

As for Butler. Morey always goes after every big name player. Morey was after Butler earlier this season, and Morey has a history of not giving up on targeted players. It's just common sense.

8. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Shumpert would do the deal and Philly would do the deal because they squandered all of their assets. The Harris trade was Butler insurance. If you throw them the bone of not losing Butler for nothing they would take an expiring wing they could repackage and picks with tax savings of a retiring Nene. Butler really ALL comes down to him wanting to be with Beard and CP3. I think he would do the opt in with assurances of maxing him for the rest of his career.

Philly is a lot like us. If they can resign Butler and Harris great but if they lose one they get nothing and are over the cap. They want to operate above the cap and the coach and team are under immense pressure to perform now. These were very risky trades that squandered the remainder of Hinkie's war chest. They bombed on virtually every asset except Simmons (debatable) and Embiid (cannot stay on the floor). Clips made out like bandits on every front. They could do Kawhi and Kemba and still have assets.

Vivi likes this.
  9. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Why would we trade with the Lakers is the question? I don't think we dump CP3 but let's say he did want to go there. What could ALL of the Lakers assets net from a 3rd team that we would want? We are not looking for cap relief.

10. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

If we could get ANY of their wings guys that would be a win. We'd also get a gigantic trade exception which would be helpful in trying to nab a disgruntled star or additional depth.

11. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Just hoping Tilman is not buddies with Ty Lue.

...or Jason Kidd.

...or Derek Fisher.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

13. blackistan

blackistan Member

14. MystikArkitect

MDA single handedly fixed the Dwight debacle and turned Harden into a supernova.

Sure I guess.

Remlap likes this.
  15. PolarBear

PolarBear Contributing Member

Excellent point. I was just pondering where CP3 might fit in spite of his deal, and the Rockets not have to take on an equally or worse ugly contract back 1:1 (like John Wall, Kevin Love, etc). I agree with your premise, that a 3-team trade in that scenario would make more sense, albeit harder to execute. Maybe Miami might play to get under the luxury tax threshold (return of Dragic)? Would the Bulls trade away Otto Porter (and his big contract) with the right haul?

16. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

Promote Bzdelik to headcoach. He isn't offensively inept, knows how to call timeouts and can establish better rotations and distribution of minutes. Players have also shown they already like him.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think every year, the C position is required to get quicker. Clint is on the border now, he is good against most teams, but it's starting to be a problem in the distance unless he somehow shows up next season able to mitigate it with shooting.

Taking a dip to a lesser Capela is a bad move imo. Look at Milwaukee. You can get away with a not-so-great defender at C if they can shoot. DeAndre is beyond the border and will deteriorate slowly while the league accelerates slowly. He would be an excellent backup, but we would be at a severe almost Ryno-like disadvantage against the top 4-5 teams.

I would pay more for Dedmon. We have to consider the direction of the league. Obviously the Rockets are now full blown realizing that having a 5-out system is hard to pass up. I would be surprised if Morey hasn't already considered trading Capela and Capela is a good player.

Vivi likes this.
  18. Remlap

Remlap Member

LOL. Now Budenholzer is one of the greatest coaches of all time? LOL

Butler is a head case. After the way he threw a tantrum, destroyed team chemistry and
    forced his way out of Minny I don't want any part of him

19. rockets94-95

rockets94-95 Member

I don’t like to speculate on this kind of thing when we’re still playing and could win a ring in the next month. However, if things don’t work out with MDA, I’d keep a close eye out for Kelvin Sampson.

20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No but those are 4 coaches in the NBA I would clearly take over MDA. I’m saying he’s being underrated. I don’t know what’s going on here today where people can’t grasp that without taking something out of context. LOL