1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Butler still Moreys MAIN target this summer/MDAs seat getting hot

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, May 10, 2019.

1. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't know that for sure, but ok.

I have a strong feeling he will be fired in the very near future and I would rather it happens in the summer than after 20-30 games like we did with McHale.

Gray_Jay and smp like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

The organization loves him. They just did a sit down tv interview with him and Morey together. If you are firing your coach you do it after the season during the exit interview phase.

Get used to it.

D-rock and Roc Paint like this.
  3. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Making some errors here.

Capela, EG and Nene make $13m more than Butler. There is no reason to include Nene in there. We are sending $9m more without him, and we would get back Jonathon Simmons and another throw in.

In truth, you are unnecessarily doubling up on hopes and wishes here. For Butler to come to Houston, he must threaten to leave them and offer Houston as an option for opt in and trade. If that is successful, we would not need to send two assets for Butler. We are paying them for the transaction, most likely scenario is we get him for Gordon, Nene (who will retire) and maybe a couple of second rounders. They have no use for Capela, and would be more interested in preserving cap since they have some expensive decisions coming up with Tobias and Reddick, then Simmons the following season. Gordon allows them to let Reddick walk, and he comes off the books when Simmons is due for extension.

Further we have the T-MLE, Bi Annual Exception as well as minimum contracts to offer. There is no chance we spend more than the minimum on Faried. House probably same, maybe Bi Annual Exception. Rivers gets a chunk of the MLE.

We have Shump's bird rights, can go over the cap to sign him without MLE. Not that I think they will bring him back, but we could.

Now we can deal Capela for depth too if need be. If the front office is shrewd, they use the MLE on a starting C who can shoot, and they trade Capela for a couple of rotation players (backcourt depth would be main weakness).

Plenty of options.

D-rock, Gray_Jay and RichieBanks like this.
  4. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Great. I don't have a major problem with MDA. I just don't trust Tilman in this scenario.

5. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

Seems more like a good bye than a thank you message IMO

D-rock, s3ts, Deuce and 2 others like this.
  6. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Gordon S&T should get it done

8. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Can’t Jimmy opt out and sign the 5 year max in a sign and trade? In which case he would be getting 30 million something which would mean it would have to be Capela and EG? No?

9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

No. He can only get 4 outside of Philly. 1+4 is probably his best option financially if Philly isn’t going all in.

10. rockets13champs

JIMMY COMING HOME

11. AstrosRockets1818

My high school buddy.

Vivi and Shark44 like this.
  12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I just read a short story about Jimmy's life. I had no idea he was on the streets at 13 and how he made his way to the NBA. I'm all in for bringing that kind of intestinal fortitude to this team. #BringJimmyHome!

D-rock, s3ts and Vivi like this.
  13. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

Philly was going all in and there was no chance he was staying. That is why they traded for Harris. 1+5 is his best option and he wants his money and the Rockets already made assurances. The Rockets best offer is to package Shumpert at just below BYC, Nene, and multiple 1sts. Nene retires. Philly does not want to trade Simmons now but may have to later. They will resign Harris and Reddick. Shumpert provides a wing on an expiring that is roughly equal to EGo's contract level. This gives Philly time to make deals and even turn this into a 3 way to get them something now. Butler would go for it. In 3 years we are out of CP3's contract.

Why do I say 1+5? Because this may override Butler's desire to team up elsewhere. It guarantees him 6 years with favorable tax advantages. He is the sidekick in any arrangement with either KD or Kawhi or Kyrie and they have other 1st options. He really only wants the Knicks or Clippers. The Rockets and Morey showed our asses the past two years screwing up with Ryno. We are desperate and this is what you have to do. In the unlikely even this works you see if you can salvage Faried and House with the TP MLE. I see no world where Rivers returns but I would ask. We only have the TP MLE and I see him being young and wanting the money and to start somewhere. He loved playing here because he got paid $11M by the Suns to do it. He is young and has a family so he will want to rebuild his value. The Rockets helped him do that to a large degree.

BallaDoc likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Nothing … Butler will opt out and that'll end this fairy tale just like it did with Lebron last time around.

15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I could see a scenario where they would facilitate a trade to Houston - If they lost Klay and KD … they may not make the playoffs , may as well load up on assets in that case.

But anything short of Klay and KD leaving - They aint helping the Rockets. No way , no how.

16. AstrosRockets1818

He was a year younger than me. So his junior year at Tomball I would tell him to dunk more and quit passing the ball so much.
    Honestly he was probably about 6’4” then... maybe 6’5”.
    Nobody had a clue he would even play D1 at that moment.

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

D-rock, mikol13 and Deuce like this.
  18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I just hope i don't wake up in next days to read that Miami is still interested in trading Richardson and pieces for Butler, even though Phila would be forced to eat a contract like Johnson, Olynyk or Waiters...
    :eek:
    in the end it's all on the player though, so, just need to wait and hope.

19. luckyman76

luckyman76 Member

The problem with that is that I think Philly wants something clean and Butler wouldn't value their talent. Dragic, Whiteside, et al on borrowed time and cannot make the playoffs. This is Butler's last contract so he is looking for pay and ready made championship on a team where he fits. I think here he would be 1B and allow Harden, CP3, and himself to save themselves for the playoffs without driving Jimmy in the ground. This would improve his health. Look at the Knicks or Clippers options though first. If he opts out it will be quick because he has an agreement with a buddy in place. I am 100% sure KD and Kyrie are in NYC and unless Klay goes with Kawhi to LAC I think Kawhi might stay in Toronto. Ujiri is telling him they will go after AD. I can actually see that happening if Boston gets stingy. The biggest threat to me is Kawhi and Jimmy on LAC. People say the Nets but that is a pretty heavy load for him to carry with Russell and Dinwiddie and nothing solid in the frontcourt. They could still be the 5th-6th seed in the East.

20. Vivi

Vivi Member

I kinda agree overall.

NY should be all about the Durant-Irving pairing.

Clippers on Kawhi and Klay with Jimmy as potential plan B, i just wonder how much Jimmy would deal with being considered a plan B to Klay...and if the Clippers want to get Klay, i wouldn't be shocked to see them turn their interest towards Middleton.

I don't see the Raptors get Davis fwiw, Siakam and fillers won't be even close to what other teams can and will offer.

Agreed on the Nets, i mean, they should be able to add two max players, but i don't know who they could add with Jimmy...Kemba or Cousins (who's not getting a max imo)? I might be very well wrong but i just don't see it, wouldn't make sense to leave the Sixers at that point.

The Lakers should still be considered imo, even though it seems like they were not pushing to get Jimmy when the Wolves made him available so, i don't really know, maybe he has no interest in playing there with Lebron.

And about Miami yeah, they would be in the same situation of Brooklyn, actually worse cause they would be forced to trade Richardson to get him and Adebayo with picks to get another star, which realistically, wouldn't be enough to win anyway...assuming that's what he really wants of course.