1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Nimo

Nimo Member

I respect your opinion and maybe Fitz has just had better coaching but Fitz's best is better than Hoyer's best and Hoyer's worst is worse than Fitz's worst statistically speaking.

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Going into training camp, I was fairly convinced that Mallett would take the starting job by outplaying Hoyer. However, after watching some practices, and the 2 pre-season games, I've gotta say this is the right decision. Mallett has been inconsistent at best, and he clearly struggles with the intermediate routes that BOB's offense is predicated on. While Hoyer can't throw the long ball t0 save his life, this offense doesn't thrive on that. After watching the last 2 games, I think that no matter who the starting QB ended up being, this team is doomed without Foster on the field.

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not saying which way is the way to go. I have no clue. And even recognizing that it is very hard to get a top 10 QB, and they don't grow on trees, etc., it is still discouraging that 13 years in we've got maybe 1 season of anything close to top 10 QB play. Maybe 2 years. And one of those years was derailed because that QB got injured before the playoffs.

This is the most important position in the game, bar none.

Giving B'OB the benefit of the doubt as the new regime, as another "QB guru" type coach... well, things aren't looking great.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

*sigh*
    The worry seems to be that the COACH is married to a Guy and won't pull him for nothing and that THAT GUY will always get the benefit of the doubt over everyone else

I don't *THINK* BO'B is that coach

I don't THINK this is the ridiculous loyalty to David Carr all over again

So I am not as worried as some

Hoyer is a known comodity
    So . . . I guess I was comfortable with Rolling the Dice

If you have 1$ you can buy a coke or spend it on the Lotto
    You might win the Lotto !!
    But A Coke would be refreshing for right now

At the end of the day . . .the Coke isn't good for you anyway
    Might as well shoot for the LOTTO

Rocket River

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think BOB knows that... in the end, results are all that matter.

The best you can do is build up the rest of the team... and when a QB happens to become available (whether its by luck, draft, trade, whatever)... you have everything ready to go.

When the Texans drafted Carr #1 (with all that "QB is everything" thinking), nothing was ready... and he predictably failed. Pretty sure any QB would have failed in that situation. Likewise, when Kubiak finally got things straightened out, even a QB with a limited ceiling such as Schaub was able to have some great years.

BOB went 9-7 with 4 different QB's playing last year. He probably hoped that a big-arm QB with swagger (which is what everyone thinks Mallett is) could magically come in here and win the job... but this is a guy that BOB has seen first-hand for years, and knows exactly how much progress he's truly made. Likewise, he also knows what Hoyer is or isn't capable of. Weighing the two against each other , with as much experience as he's had watching them, probably made this a much easier decision than some are making it out to be.

6. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Compare with their performance last year?

The Texans has an overall above average defense, Forster had a very good year and they also played in probably the weakest division in NFL, and where did Fritz leaded us to?

And did you actually checked the other circumstances for Hoyer failed in the second half in the Browns?

Look, they both suck, they are just re-cycling backup QB to get some paychecks in this league which no playoff teams will like to start them for a minute.

They are not Marino or Elway playing in some bad teams and wasting their prime to win a ring, comparing their stats will mean as much as their next screen pass to their tailback and then break out for a 50 yards run after that.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe the thinking was that, if they throw the long ball, it will likely be to Nuk. And he is more suited than anyone to going up and getting a jump ball and coming down with it. So the arm strength wasn't as big a concern.

We'll probably be getting flashbacks to Schaub and Carr underthrowing AJ over the years, turning what should be long touchdowns into long receptions that result in a field goal...

Sigh

8. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Anyone else wishing that BO'B went to Cal McNair and said Mallett is the guy and then went to Rick Smith and said Hoyer is the guy to see if there are any leaks in the operation?

Would be funny if Smith is the "source" and gets outed by a BO'B ploy to smoke out anyone not on message :grin:

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hoyer won the job after the first preseason game IMO. O hard knocks after the 3rd & 3 that Mallet ran that qb sneak and when BoB asked him about it, he said "Ya'll call the play, I just run it". That told me that he has no smarts and is just a mechanical robot with no cerebral context. I really wanted Mallet to win out too. Sigh for another year of mediocrity with either qb.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, I like this approach honestly. And I do feel better about B'OB than Kubiak, but its early.

I'm no cap expert in football. I hate to complain and not have thoughts on how to fix.

Seems like the money on either Mallet or Hoyer would have been better spent on other positions... but again, I don't know.

I prefer to make bigger generalizations here, since I know I'm not an expert. I'm generalizing that overall, they have to get better at that position. And when a coach comes in as somewhat of a QB-guru type coach, you hope that they figure something out within 3 years or so.

I also have the benefit of hindsight. And in hindsight, I'd have preferred a Tyrod Taylor type signing... so that you have 3 guys with potential upside... none of whom are likely to get there, but at least have the upside. Continue to build the team...

I'm just not sure what the best case scenario is with signing Hoyer, and now starting him. Best case as in extended future - this year and following year(s). Relative to the best case going a different direction...

We'll see I guess...

11. prohibido

prohibido Member

Hoyer outplayed Mallett in the games and everything I read tells me he outplayed Mallett in practice, too. What is a coaching staff supposed to do?

Mallett is inaccurate, wildly so at times, and obviously as stupid as a box of hammers. That is not a winning combination for an NFL quarterback.

12. Indaface

Indaface Member

I was hoping Mallett could win it but it was clear based on preseason/hard knocks that Hoyer was gonna win the job...not surprised the only thing surprising me is the amount of chicken little's here after the announcement. It's like we acquired a pro bowl qb yesterday and suddenly he's benched. Ummmm fellas our qb situation has been the same all offseason. Hoyer-Mallett is just a difference between a giant douche and a turd sandwich.

13. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Ugh at this decision. But to be fair, Mallett's pretty blah too.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

What a joke.

Trade for a QB that can't even beat out a journeyman mediocre scrub.

Let's just trade for Matt Cassell and have the entire circle jerk of former Brady backups that aren't worth a damn.

F***in ridiculous.

15. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

In before Mallett requests trade. He should. Those two preseason games weren't enough to name a starter. All I saw was two guys handing the ball on stuffed run attempts. Does Hoyer hand off better?

16. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

i wonder if boo birds gonna come when hoyer has 3 and outs.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Which is exactly why they have these things called OTA's, training camps, meetings, scrimmages, individual drills, film room sessions, day-to-day conversation... in addition to other years worth of experience in working with each of these guys.

Pretty sure pre-season games are probably the worst/least meaningful of all these metrics in terms of evaluating whether or not a player is truly better than the other.

18. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hoyer was 9/15 in the 2 preseason games

Mallett was 15/18 in the 2 preseason games

Where are we getting the "inaccurate" label from?

Hoyer was lucky to throw a pass to Shorts that he turned into about 25 yards after the catch for a TD. That's the only difference I saw given the limited sampling of the preseason.

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

It's called "taking a flier".

I applaud the decision. I worried that they'd give their guy Mallett the standard 5 years to prove himself no matter how badly he sucked a la Davey and Matty.

A willingness to make a quick evaluation and move on is a step in the right direction for this dumpster fire of a front office, IMO.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I see/hear this refrain... In four seasons, JJ's been on teams that have won 10, 12, 2 and 9 games. They were playoff contenders - as of the final week of the season - in three of those four years. He's going to anchor what should be, on paper, an upper-echelon, if not league leading defense - a defense which might just be good enough to put us in playoff contention again this year.

He's not being wasted by any stretch of the imagination.