1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. MystikArkitect

Plus it was probably raining the day that Mallett started and he was likely a little bummed out while Hoyer got to play on a sunny day and was clearly in a better mood.

If you would just accept objective analysis and just stop defending arguments where you were clearly wrong this forum would be a better place. I wanted Mallett to be better than Hoyer too. He just isn't. Obrien benching him likely cost the team another win.

We can still all agree this team needs a QB badly this draft and I'm not sure if winning some this season is what's best for this team in the long term.

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Fitz was NOT gonna be the answer...and the Texans had a huge unknown with Mallett. I think the preseason plan was to hope that Mallett became the starter and Hoyer became his backup...Unfortunately, the team must have seen what we all saw from Mallett...big arm, poor accuracy, and inability to sustain drives...This led to the dilemma...and Mallett's poor preseason play/practice forced Bill to start Hoyer on a short leash.

Hoyer's Texans debut couldn't have started off any worse...Throwing that pick inside in the 20 was atrocious. And for a player like Hoyer who has failed his entire career in big moments...Bill thought it was best to go with Mallett. That 2nd half of game 1 made it seem that Bill's choice of Hoyer was a huge mistake. But with time, and game tape...Mallett just doesnt have the "muscle between the ears" and just relies on his terrific arm strength to bail him out on bad decisions...Ever wonder why he throws hard all the time?...if your teammate can't catch it, the opposing player sure as heck wont either. Mallett's problem magnified itself with the lack of offensive consistency, combined with piss poor defense.

So here we are...at a 2-4 start...knowing that Bill OBrien made the right choice at QB the first time, was forced to 2nd guess himself after Hoyer's debut. But the real issue is what we all knew...neither of these guys were going to solve our team's issue: the Quarterback position. So...is it better to go with a guy that really has had less snaps in his career in Mallett vs a guy that has bounced around and had minimal-moderate success? The Texans can't afford to be in limbo-land at this position any longer. While playing Hoyer may allow us to reach an 7-9 or 8-8 season, when does this stop? Tanking would be the right decision if they decide on getting Goff or Cook. Them starting with Hoyer tells me they are still trying to salvage this season...

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, don't be ridiculous. I expect him to suck because that's what he's done his entire career. If he doesn't suck, great.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Did we really think Hoyer was going to be the answer? I don't recall Fitzpatrick ever complaining about being a backup. In fact, he went to be a backup at NY.

They don't have to tank to get their QB. The last times it was worth tanking was the year of Andrew Luck and Cam Newton the year before. Since then, the highest drafted QB has been the one the Texans beat today. Check out comments about the highest rated QB in next year's draft.

I think the Texans are not going to be good enough to miss out on Goff AND Cook.

5. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Man you can't help yourself huh? LOL you're on every forum arguing something.

Hoyer has played pretty darn well. Got to give the man credit Bobby when he preforms great.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I do give him credit when he does well....if you payed more attention you'd know that and you wouldn't be making uninformed posts.

8. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Man get out your feeling little dude. No you didn't you said he sucked his whole career, so that's what you expect. Then you told another member not to jump the gun. And finally look at the teams he played.

GTFOH!!!

Why do you have to get so defensive when things doesn't go your way.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He has sucked his whole carer....that's just a fact. I gave him credit for doing well in this game but that doesn't mean I have to fool myself into thinking he will keep it up against real competition.

Why do you get so upset over scrub players?

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You were pretty upset when Mallet didn't start.

Although he's worse than a scrub.

Same with Xavier Bustafilo and Cutis Nix

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

lololololololololol

dude, just shut up and let this forum alone

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are you seriously not smart enough to realize that you can give him credit when he does well while acknowledging that he's sucked his whole career? REALLY?

Fair enough, I should probably adjust my expectations of my audience.

13. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

He's been better than Fitz in his first couple of starts with us. His touch on short/intermediate throws is huge, but it's his decision making that is questionable.

Probably an unpopular opinion, but if he could sort out that decision making issue (unlikely) he could be the temporary QB ala Carson Palmer.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Bobbythegreat is genuine comedy right now

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Really the main problems with Hoyer are that he has a less than stellar arm and he's pretty bad when he gets pressured. That's been his scouting report since high school. The other part of that is that if you give him time, he can look really well. He had time today and wasn't pressured that much and he did very well.

16. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

He must be having time all year because if you look at his numbers he has been very good.

Sans the first half in KC he has been a solid QB for the squad.

17. Mr. Clutch

All QBs do worse when pressured

18. Mr. Clutch

And yet the excuse for Mallet was the OL sucks.

Crazy how the OL suddenly got better and stopped allowing any pressure whatsoever

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Outside of the first half in KC he has had time. He played against the Falcons' 3rd string where he had no pressure, Indy never really got to him, and then you have today where he had very good protection and that's his whole season thus far.

20. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

How do you have time to post so much per day?