1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nuk was yelling at Hoyer, not Mallett.

2. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

wrong.. he was yelling at Hoyer

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe all the talk about BOB wanting Christian Hackenberg was true, naming Hoyer the starter with Foster missing part of the season is a good start to being in a position to draft him.

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Its not really a downgrade, to compare Hoyer and Fritz for the Texans,

its like buying a lotto ticket and the Texans choosing to buy a Mega Millions than the Texas Lotto,

sure, number wise, you have much less chance to win the jackpot,

however, the size of the jackpot is also larger because you are taking more risks ( more unknown for upside).

Overall, its still a crap shot, no much difference.

5. Nimo

Nimo Member

That was Hoyer he was yelling at

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

that's what I meant, fixed

7. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

I disagree.. Who had the better supporting cast last year? Fitz hands down.. Hoyer did wonders with the browns IMO and gave them one of there best seasons in awhile because josh gordon was too busy getting high. I wanted Mallett to win the job but I trust o'brien and believe he is a top 10 coach.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Compare their performances last year, there's a HUGE difference. So basically we're gambling that Hoyer comes out and is a completely different QB than he has been his entire career, or we got significantly worse at the QB spot.

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You should back up your confident statement with a wager. The over/under regular season wins for them is 8.5. You could be rich by the end of the season if you're right.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

RG3 must be added to that list, or Colt or Cousins due to injury.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah, he had that potential. it was becoming increasingly clear that the "had" was in the past-tense.

In the thread when they signed Hoyer I couldn't figure out the approach, and was told if all just goes as plan the Hoyer signing was backup insurance.

I couldn't get it and was bored by it then... I can't get it and am bored by it now... and my use of the word bored /casual fan ruffled some feathers. We've seen this story play out before multiple times with Houston football ... the hope that our system will make such and such QB a world-beater ... maybe this time will be different, but I don't see how

At least to JR's point, it's not like there were a ton of better options this past offseason... but at some point, organizationally, they are going to have to figure out a way to solve the QB problem. I get it's hard, and I have no answers ... I just wish the guys being paid millions of bucks a year to figure it out could...

1 person likes this.
  12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

WHERE in God's name do you get the impression that I am happy with this turn of events??? I'm extremely not on board with this situation but because I took my Ritalin today, I am unable to use @#!$%&* curse words in my posts. Maybe later when this stuff wears off. :(

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Harden2Dwight

Harden2Dwight Member

Time to go back to being a Packers fan...done with this crap ass organization

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's not fair to OB who has probably made more good decisions than bad decisions during his tenure here. Also, while you're argument could be correct, making logical decisions based on your experience and evaluations are the only logical step to improve. OB can't be going around at each position saying, "well, player A has been better and I believe he will help this team win more than player B, but I'll risk it on player B because the fans think player B has a higher upside." That's not a winning formula, and doesn't happen unless the train falls off the track.

16. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Just look at all the other elite QB's out there (there aren't many) and see the circumstances to how those teams acquired them... its a total coin flip.

And this franchise took their shot at a "franchise" QB by picking Carr overall #1... and he failed miserably (along with the franchise failing him). That whole era should be enough to convince you that it takes a lot more than just simply taking a QB high in the draft to have it all work out.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Hoyer is the best of that bunch, based on the past, in my opinion.

I don't know the ins and outs of Pettine's system, but I know O'Brien's is different. Also, I feel O'Brien is a better coach. We'll see what that translates to.

I trust in the coaches.

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

And yet BOB thoroughly disagrees with your expert analysis... and I still remember how down you were on Mallett last year prior to really watching him play, so not sure how seriously anybody can take further analysis from you on the subject at this point.

Perhaps Hoyer is better suited to this system than he was with a nepotism-propped OC that he was saddled with last year... or perhaps he's just that much better than Mallett who apparently is making enough mistakes to make him dangerous to be the starting QB going forward.

Either way, there's not much you're going to prove by taking this polarizing stance.... other than you can easily be convinced with just "one" good game from a QB that you have zero expectations on.

1 person likes this.