1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

What's with the Guru of New Information thing? Lol

2. Major

Major Member

Bobby is never wrong about anything. When he finally concludes what everyone else saw much earlier, it's because there is simply "new information".

3. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Lol…this is spot on.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I have a theory of why BOB is sticking with a clearly inferior QB.

Hoyer = BOBs guy. As we saw on Hard Knocks, BOB anointed Hoyer the starter after a long QB competition. Hoyer was just more consistent, more accurate, more mobile and understood the offense better.

Mallet = Rick's guy. Rick was probably pushing Mallet to start based on "upside," "quick release so he never gets sacked," or some other reason from the New Information school of NFL analytics.

By starting Mallet this long, BOB is pinning these losses on Rick and setting Rick up to be the scapegoat so we can get a new GM.

BOB also saw that even average QB play from Hoyer wouldn't save the season, not with so many draft busts, injuries, salary cap inflexibility,and lack of depth.

Basically, BOB didn't want Rick to throw him under the bus like he did to Kubiak.

The Machiavellian games have begun.

5. Mr. Clutch

But why is the short week such a big deal?

If he can bring Hoyer at halftime I don't see why he can't start him Thursday.

Seems like a red herring from BOB.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I know that you might think an ad populum argument is legitimate, but I honestly don't care how many people have the same awful hot take. I'll pity them, but it won't change anything.

7. rezdawg

Yes, it doesn't change the fact that you look silly.

Every analysis regarding Mallett has shown that he has been awful…every sports talk radio host has mentioned the same thing…PFF, Football Outsiders…and pretty much anyone that has anything to do with football…

They've all disagreed with you. But they don't matter.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't doubt that you think so. Anyway, your opinion clearly doesn't matter, look who's starting.

9. rezdawg

Mallett starting doesn't mean anything…it just means he has another week to try to do something positive for once. Maybe he will, maybe he won't…but that doesn't change the fact that he has been pure **** as a starter.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mallet starting just means we're tanking or BOB is throwing Rick Smith under the bus

11. Major

Major Member

Teams in general are hesitant to make changes during short weeks. Bye weeks or long weeks allow the starter to get lots of reps with the starting receivers, etc. If I remember correctly, when Mallett took over last year, it was during the bye week.

We know you don't care - that's why you continue to post your awful takes. I look forward to seeing your pretzel-twisting in a few weeks when you have to backtrack your next set of arguments. It will be fun to see what "new information" you learn that the rest of us already know.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It means that he's simply the best QB on the roster. Again, it's okay for you to not understand, no one expects you to.

13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And who would come in as new GM? Brian gaine?

14. Mr. Clutch

If Bob survives, yeah probably

15. Nimo

Nimo Member

Bring in a few of them off the street for tryouts on Tuesday.

16. rezdawg

No, it doesn't. It just shows that OB can't be flip flopping constantly. After he made the mistake after week 1, he needs to play out his decision a little longer.

After failing to draft a QB early in 2014, after letting Fitz go for Hoyer, after declaring Hoyer the starter and dropping him after 3 quarters….you trust to be smart about this?

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

His mistake was picking the lesser of 2 QB's to start the season. If BOB goes with Mallett in week 1, the Texans are 2-2 right now and things look a lot different.

18. Mr. Clutch

If Mallet starts game 1, he magically doesn't suck like he has the rest of his career.

19. rezdawg

Ive asked this to you maybe 20 times and you've failed to answer the question even once. What has Mallett remotely accomplished on the field for you to think he's been worth a damn?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Again, if you can watch the games and not realize that Mallett is considerably better than Hoyer, then I can't help you. You might as well be asking me what makes me think that 1+1=2.....I mean, it's obvious.

No one is saying Mallett is a great QB or anything like that, only that he's the best the Texans have and that he'd have given the Texans a chance to win the first game.