1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Sounds like it was won in training camp. Neither did anything significant in the two preseason games to run away as the starter.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Would you say he has a chance of getting fired?

If all fails. Does Tom Savage get a chance next season?

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO Hoyer has Fitzpatrick's arm, Schaub's mobility, and Keenum's "quick release", he's basically a combination of the worst traits of 3 of the Texans past starters. I just don't see how starting a QB that has trouble getting the ball out and that doesn't have the arm to make all the throws is conservative....seems pretty risky to me.

The Texans could be very hard to watch until BOB comes to his senses.

4. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Our current RB and TE situation and talent wise is probably one of the bottom (if not the bottom) team in the league.

5. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

IMO Mallett taking no sacks and never turning the ball over despite poor blocking by the O line was impressive enough to give him the nod if I was running things. I didn't believe that they'd just hand the starting gig to Hoyer without a fair competition, but I can't see how they could have had one and given him the job.

None. Even if BOB's moves totally blow up in his face, he'll have a few more years before his seat gets hot.

7. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

This, add question marks in the interior O Line and a crappy QB and you have a recipe for a horribad offense.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

How so? BoB is simply trying to make chicken salad out of the chicken ***** he's got at the QB position. Now I realize that we differ greatly on Teddy Bridgewater but if he performs this season like I believe that he will, then it will be clear to all that they (BoB & Rick) blew it. Even if Clowney manages to come back and be a monster it still does nothing to help them on offense if they keep trotting out warm leftovers at QB.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's sad that your draft crush on Bridgewater is making you support the lesser QB in Houston. I get that you want the QB position in Houston to look as bad as possible so you can try to convince people that you were right about drafting Alex Smith 2.o, but I care more about the success of the team than draft crushes.

BOB picked the chicken **** over the chicken salad on the menu and you are trying to justify it.

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Surely no one believed either Hoyer, Mallet... or even Savage, was the QB "of the future" here.

All of these QBs suck. Switch Hoyer with Mallet and you still have a sucky QB.

Even to the extent one or the other manages to be average... that's all they will be. While there aren't tons of Aaron Rodgers or Luck's out there, there are a decent amount of above average QBs.

11. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

The worse thing is not having a horrible season like 2-14.

The worse thing actually will be going 7-9 or 8-8 again which means we are going no where and has no shoot again at any quality QB to help this team moving forward and we ended up with another 3-4 round pick of backup QB again.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

They have what they have.

CHI: Cutler - Should they have traded for Jay Cutler?
    <strike>CIN: Dalton</strike>
    BUF: Taylor/Cassel/Manuel - Should they have signed Tyrod Taylor or traded for Matt Cassel? 3rd stringer E.J. Manuel could be available.
    <strike>DEN: Manning</strike> - Should they have pushed harder for the reported Manning trade?
    CLE: McCown - Should they have signed Josh McCown?
    <strike>TB: Winston</strike> Year too late.
    <strike>AZ: Palmer</strike>
    <strike>SD: Rivers</strike>
    <strike>KC: Smith</strike>
    <strike>IND: Luck</strike>
    <strike>DAL: Romo</strike>
    <strike>MIA: Tannehill</strike>
    PHI: Bradford - Should they have inquired on Sam Bradford? They didn't have a QB to send back to St. Louis like Philadelphia did.
    <strike>ATL: Ryan</strike>
    <strike>SF: Kaepernick</strike>
    <strike>NYG: Manning</strike>
    <strike>JAC: Bortles</strike> - They did have a chance to draft Bortles first overall; should they have?
    <strike>NYJ: Smith/Fitzpatrick</strike> They had Fitz & traded him away.
    <strike>DET: Stafford</strike>
    <strike>GB: Rodgers</strike>
    <strike>CAR: Newton</strike>
    <strike>NE: Brady</strike>
    <strike>OAK: Carr</strike> - see JAC: Bortles
    <strike>STL: Foles</strike> - Apparently was available via trade but again didn't have a QB to send back to Philadelphia.
    <strike>BAL: Flacco</strike>
    WAS: Griffin - Ragdoll Griffin is probably available for the "right price".
    <strike>NO: Brees</strike>
    <strike>SEA: Wilson</strike>
    <strike>PIT: Roethlisberger</strike>
    HOU: Hoyer/Mallett
    <strike>TEN: Mariota</strike> - see TB: Winston; Zach Mettenberger?
    <strike>MIN: Bridgewater</strike> Debated to death.

13. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Someone needs to start a poll for how many weeks it will take for Mallett to replace Hoyer. I'll go with 7.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mallett had potential to be an above average QB with his quick release and strong arm, Hoyer does not have potential to be above average. Switching Hoyer with Mallett might be the difference between losing games and winning games especially given that Foster is out.

The combination of Hoyer's weak arm and his inability to read the blitz properly enough to get the ball out before the sack could be a killer this season, just as it was in his last 4 starts last season where he had 8 interceptions and just one TD with a stunning 50 QB rating and 49% completion percentage. That's the guy we are going forward with.

15. got em COACH

got em COACH Contributing Member

Hoyer stats 2014 -- 55.3 CMP% 12 Touchdowns 13 Interceptions 76.5 Rating

Fitzpatrick stats 2014 -- 63.1 CMP% 17 Touchdowns 8 Interceptions 95.3 Rating

Not excited for the 2015 season, just saying.

Starting QB reaction to OB decision this morning

NOOOOO WOOGIE

[​IMG]

#95 got em COACH, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

Regardless what the record for this coming season, its hard to see BOB will get canned.

However, going 2-14 or 8-8 could mean different fate for Rick Smith, he could be able to keep his job with another 8-8 season, which will be the worse thing for this franchise.

Yes I know Blake Bortles and Mariota could very well be another busts like many others, and the Jags and Titans having more holes than the Texans, but at least you can feel those teams having more hopes and excitements for their future, while in here, you just feel like we are wasting one of the great players' prime every season.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Seriously though, who would have thought the Texans would downgrade the starting QB position over last year? Who would have thought it would even be possible?

18. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

You're overreacting again. It's not that I want the QB position to look this bad - it's just the hand that is dealt to us. While I can understand why BoB did not pick TB due to his lack of what's considered to be ideal size, I can believe that decision to be a mistake without wishing for the team's demise. I agree with others that the decision was to go with Hoyer was inevitable because it's the kind of football decision that coaches always make. I don't like it, I believe that it severely diminishes their chances this season and it leaves me with an overwhelming sense of meh going into the season. And my biggest fear is that "Alex Smith 2.0" will be looking awfully good by the midpoint of this season while we will be looking back with nostogia at Matt Schaub.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

remember on Hard Knocks Hopkins was yelling at Hoyer that he was open during the SF game

#99 Commodore, Aug 24, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's really not the hand that was dealt to us, BOB chose to downgrade the QB spot over last year. Alex Smith 2.0 might look good in comparison to Hoyer, but there's a good chance he wouldn't look good in comparison to Mallett, so I understand why you'd be happy about Hoyer getting the nod. It's basically the only way your draft crush looks good.