1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

It's already happened; exactly one second after BOB named him the starter. Anybody second guessing the decision has no idea what they're talking about.

Bill O'Brien, it can be safely assumed, does not want to lose his job. Further, Bill O'Brien has given absolutely zero indication that losing provides him anything but agonizing pain and discomfort.

If he thinks Brian Hoyer is the best choice... then he's the best choice.

He'd have to essentially be the Brian Hoyer from weeks 1-9 last year for two consecutive years, a span of 32 straight starts. If he does that, I'm in. I have zero faith he will.... but that's what would do it for me.

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

So, if Hoyer goes out there and posts league-worst numbers, you're not going have any doubt that he was still a better choice than Mallet...?

The question was about what Hoyer needed to do *this season*. So, essentially you're saying he can't possibly do anything to convince you in a single year?

BTW for the curious, Hoyer's 2014 weeks 1 through 10 extrapolated out over an entire season.

3932 yards (13th overall)
    18 TDs (T-19th overall)
    7 INTs
    2.57 TD-INT ratio (11th overall)

Edit: I'm not sure those numbers would warrant an extension after all.

#582 DonnyMost, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

This season:

90 QBrating, 7+ y/a, 2-1 TD/Int ratio, 60% ish passing.

Also show that he can handle higher volume of passes occasionally for games we are behind or the running game isnt working and still do well.

Also, there would be some eye test. I wouldn't want someone like Fitz, who had some really dumb interceptions, ignored TEs, took some horrible sacks and often held the ball too long.

If he can't do those things then sign him or another retread to a short term contract until we find a permanent solution (whether that's Savage or someone acquired through draft or free agency).

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Is bobby still sticking to his guns?! :grin::rolleyes:

Hoyer is a better pro on and off of the field.

5. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

YOU WIN THE PRIZE!

Seriously. Thank you for actually legitimately answering the question.

I'm starting to think 4000 yards, 20 TDs, and a 90+ QB rating.

That would put Hoyer in top 12 territory. Good enough to win with.

6. Hey Now!

I trust that it's the right decision right now. But I don't presume the right choice right now is ultimately... well, the right choice, if that makes any sense. I mean, BOB is making his decision based on a small sample size of what are essentially practices. Things change when things count, you know?*

I don't really think Hoyer can do anything to retroactively make the decision wrong. If he drives head first into a ditch, it's still incumbent upon Mallett to a) outplay him; b) play at a level of competency that separates him from just being better than Hoyer. Posting the second-worst numbers doesn't really recast the decision in a better light, IMO.

(* For instance, I stand by the idea that, at the time, Kubiak sticking with Schaub over Manning was the right decision. With hindsight, it was obviously the wrong decision. But several pieces of key data were missing *when the decision had to be made* - namely, that Manning would return 100% and Schaub would prefer the taste of his thumb.)

Correct. Sixteen games is too small a sample size. I'd need to see him do it after the league has had a chance to spend an offseason studying him as the full 16-game starter in BOB's offense.

#586 Hey Now!, Sep 1, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  7. cardpire

cardpire Member

Nope, it's the correct answer to a dumb, irrelevant question.

What would it take for Mick Jagger to be a viable long-term plan as the Rockets' starting right fielder?

ANSWER MY NONSENSICAL QUESTION NOW ITS IMPORTANT TO ME

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You asked a question worthy of a non answer. Might as well ask "what will it take for Brian Hoyer to go down in history as the greatest QB of all time". Doesn't matter what answer you give, it's not going to happen. Stupid question.

9. Hey Now!

I think... DM is trying to draw out opinions *now* so that we don't spend 16 weeks watching fans constantly move the goal post - yes?

As he said, most fans just want to b****/be angry. So set your expectations now and let's see if you legitimately have a reason to b****/be angry......

10. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

Going into this season already having determined in your mind that Brian Hoyer is not worthy of being the Texans starting QB beyond this year, no matter the outcome, strikes me as a tad silly.

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I still think Mallett would be the better option at QB, and we'll probably get a chance to see that after Hoyer inevitably fails. The big issue with Hoyer is that he's not very good at reading defenses and he can't do anything under pressure. I still am holding out hope that he manages to do well enough for the Texans to win some games because his short passing game is solid when he isn't pressured....but I don't see him holding on to the job all season.

12. Airdough

Airdough Member

Even if Hoyer plays well enough this year to get an extension, let someone else over pay him. If you believe in your system you should be able to find someone that can post the kind of numbers the good Hoyer can over 16 games. Even if you give an extension like what Kap and Dalton have, it's still an overpay.

13. Cannonball

He's on a 2 year contract. If there's no QB OB is willing to tap as his franchise QB (via draft, trade, or FA, or Savage????) then yeah, I can see him back. I can even see him back in a veteran mentor role. But long term starter? No. It would strike me as more than a tad silly if someone though otherwise.

Now, if he comes out and pulls a Kurt Warner and shocks everybody then sure, you might be inclined to see if you can move forward him. But that's less likely than Fred Jackson being a feature back at age 34. :grin:

14. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

That's going to be the real question.

If Hoyer does perform at that top 10-15 range, is that enough to justify keeping him? And at what price? Or do you muck your hand and start all over?

Is Hoyer worth a slight overpay so you can assuredly be in contention for the next 3-4 years, or do you risk a rebuild during the prime years of some of your best players' careers?

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This season, I'd want 3500+ yards, 15+ TDs, QBR in the upper 80s, and a decent YPA (7+). If Hoyer can provide that, I can see us perhaps even getting past the Wild Card round.

16. DonnyMost

Supporting Member

In Warner's revival he was top 5 QB material. (2nd in yards, 3rd in TDs, 3rd in QB rating...)

Hoyer has to be a top 5 QB for you to even entertain the idea of moving forward with him?

That's a lofty standard, dude.

17. Airdough

Airdough Member

I am hoping Savage can be ready to give you solid production starting next year while at the same time drafting a QB. The only QBs who should get extensions are legit franchise cornerstones. If the QB money wasn't ridiculous, you could extend Hoyer for his production. Unfortunately, the contracts of Smith, Dalton, Kap, and Cutler (there are others you can add) have completely skewed the market for a QB.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Assuming Foster and Clowney healthy plus our 2014 draft class not being almost worthless again, I could definitely see that.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's super lofty goals. I don't think any one QB will play enough games to put up 3500 yards, but they had a combined 3460 last season, so as a unit, I think it is reachable.

20. Cannonball

Sigh. :rolleyes:

I was speaking of Warner in his full year coming out of nowhere at age 28 and surprising everyone. Not exactly the same since Hoyer has a few years under his belt, but establishing himself as a franchise worthy QB at 29 would be surprising.

But fine, you want hard numbers? How about 3,800+ yards, 60%+, 25+ TD, 90+ passer rating. Something that firmly puts him in the 2nd tier of quarterbacks. Roughly top 12 range.

It's not going to happen, but if you were to move forward with a 29 (soon to be 30) year old QB who has yet to establish himself as a legit starter, he should be able to at least put up those numbers. Hell, everybody b****ed about the QB situation last year and collectively they weren't THAT far off from those numbers.

I still don't think that would prevent the Texans from drafting a QB in 2016 if one were available though.