1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Brian Hoyer named starting QB

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 24, 2015.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Mallett is better at getting the ball out quickly and has the ability to take the top off a defense with his arm. Hoyer has neither. He was sacked twice against Denver's second unit because of his failure to get the ball out quickly, imagine how bad it'll be against a legit first team.

With a healthy Foster it wouldn't be as bad, but without a run game, this is just awful.

2. conquistador#11

that's horrible. if hoyer starts, he better finish. because if he doesn't,that means the team is sinking. nobody wants a losing season except sickos. :p

3. joeson332

joeson332 Member

I love the Texans buts its legit hard to get excited for this season

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Lulz at everyone crying about this. I think it's pretty obvious at this point, Mallett isn't that good. Hoyer isn't that good either. But Hoyer has the accuracy O'Brien feels more confident in. Oh well, get over it. Most teams are stuck in the same ****ty boat we are.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Bill O'Brien crashed the stock market with this decision.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't think anybody believes that. Most people believe Hoyer is probably the safer option, and a good bet to be decent.

Mallett could have been more than decent, or more likely he would have been worse than Hoyer. It just feels like picking Hoyer is putting a glass ceiling on this team. Would rather have rolled the dice with Mallett.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

From BattleRedBlog poster ezolak. For the record, I'm already at stage 5:

[​IMG]

9. cardpire

cardpire Member

Oh, I'm not arguing that Hoyer doesn't suck.

10. conquistador#11

Same here but I don't agree that we're a boring franchise. We needed a new coach and this is what he likes, the known over the unknown. but you can say that for almost every coach.

I always go back to the patriots comparison because it's who b.o.b wants to emulate. No way in hell the hoodie goes with brady over bledsoe the veteran, if the football gods and mo' don't make the decision for him. =/

I'm not saying mallet is a holyphenom but it would be nice to see what b.o.b's 'guruness' can do with a young talented arm, mallet or savage. instead we go with safe. I still think we go 9-7/10-6

11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If Hoyer doesn't come out and play as if he's a totally different QB than he's been his whole career, fans will cheer for injury just like they did with Schaub, perhaps even more so.

12. Airdough

Airdough Member

Honestly all three QBs on the roster would all make very good backups which is great in case of injury, no discernible drop off from one QB to the next.

Hoyer seems to have a lot of fire and the additional experience factor is going to win you a position battle where no one distinguishes themselves.

The QB choice won't matter if Foster doesn't come back strong and the O-Line issues don't get fixed. Hope Hoyer is Gannon 2.0 or that OB has a quick hook if he scuffles in the first few games.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Tanked a year too early and a year too late

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Tanking last year would have been awful. No QB's worth drafting, so I guess Amari Cooper would have been it?

15. Airdough

Airdough Member

The only QB to go number 1 in recent memory worth it was Luck. Otherwise, if we had tanked in 2006 versus 2005, would have been stuck with JaMarcus.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

This has been obvious for months now. Don't like it but I expected it.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Decision made on March 11, 2015. <a href="https://t.co/5NrhlD2MBi">https://t.co/5NrhlD2MBi</a></p>&mdash; Jayson Braddock (@JaysonBraddock) <a href="https://twitter.com/JaysonBraddock/status/635827798653861888">August 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Brian Hoyer, Josh McCown, Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick — opening day starters. Yecch.</p>&mdash; Pete Prisco (@PriscoCBS) <a href="https://twitter.com/PriscoCBS/status/635802733677776896">August 24, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It'll be interesting to see which bad QB does the worst.

19. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I trust O'Brien

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Mallett lost the job when he chose to check down on damn near every down. We're still better off than last year and our D has serious potential.