1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Bill Worrell being pushed out by Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 18, 2016.

1. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

I have never understood the Worrell hate - yeah, he's a homer, and he's supposed to be as a Rockets broadcaster, but it's not like he doesn't call out the Rockets for sucking, and it's not like he doesn't give other teams credit where it's due.

Drexler brings absolutely nothing to the broadcast IMO.

2. PyroTex

PyroTex Member

Bill & Calvin are great. Jim & Gene were great. I used to turn off the sound on the TV & listen on the radio sometimes. Too bad the radio & tv feed are not synced now. I also see Bill in my neighborhood Kroger, everybody loves Bill. Time marches on. Bill should have his own page in the glorious book of Houston Sports Legends.

3. OTMax

OTMax Member

Give Bill better sidekicks and he will do a lot better. Remember the 2015 game vs. Nuggets with Calvin, he did much better!! It's that idiot Clyde and goofy one-liners Matt + Clyde that makes him a lot worse. His slip ups are actually funny sometimes..shame on Leslie for keeping an inferior product with our jerseys, lower bowl seating problems and commentary crew! Ackerman is knowledgeable but my god, not everything requires you to shout!! It's not the radio..

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Wait... what? Are you serious? There exist people who like Hubie Brown??? Jesus... Even Worrell is way, WAY better than Hubie "Can't finish a thought without getting distracted by another thought" Brown.

I don't live in Houston and didn't start getting to regularly watch Rockets local broadcasts until NBALP broadband became a thing, so yeah, I'm relatively new to Worrell. Maybe that's the difference. I get his appeal... and sometimes his enthusiasm is kinda inspiring when big plays happen (although even Ackerman has him beat there), but I don't understand why it's so widespread. Maybe it's just the thing about growing up with him. And I think he's been getting progressively worse over the past couple years, too.

I agree with you there. Drexler is only there because he's The Glyde.

5. wekko368

wekko368 Member

IMO, in recent years, he spent too much time trying create nicknames for players. The "H & H Boys" was especially cringe-worthy.

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

With all due respect, DD, bullpoop. I'd love to see you call a game with a Hall of Fame player who's a former Rocket and helped carry us to our second championship, a guy you cannot criticize, and a guy who repeats everything you say, right after you say it. Why can't you criticize him? For the reasons I've already mentioned and, more to the point, because Clyde appears to be loved by the owner.

Bull? He's a very nice guy and very knowledgeable, but also very boring 90% of the time. See how you like working with those guys, once you get over being star struck. Like Bill, you would be ground down game by game. And this after working beside a guy, Calvin, who's a genuine original.

Give me a break. You should give Bill one, as well.

#286 Deckard, Apr 13, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    Plowman, RCPM and Blake like this.
  7. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Now you're just making sh** up. Hubie is extremely fluent in his broadcasting and his takes are typically insightful. Maybe you're more of a rah! rah! guy with the likes of Reggie but I'll take my JVG, Hubie, and Marv Albert's of the world.

How can you have an opinion on a guy you just started watching?

8. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

LOL. While I admit I love Bill, it's almost more about how bad Clyde is (to me). I'd rather listen to almost anyone else.

SuperMarioBro and Deckard like this.
  9. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Father time has not caught up to him yet, the skin around his face looks as tight as it did 20 years ago.

Plowman and Deckard like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I don't recall him getting names wrong. Ackerman was caught calling Chihuahua, Clint at the LAC game.

Zboy likes this.
  11. Newlin

Newlin Member

Bill does not make many mistakes. All play by play announcers are going to make a mistake every once in a while. Bill does a fine job and is easy to listen to.

Maybe Bill being forced out bothers me because I'm just not a big fan of Ackerman. If Bill was being replaced with a top notch announcer then I think I'd be OK with it.

The Astros have a new play by play announcer, and I think he's pretty good. I really haven't missed Bill Brown at all.

Deckard likes this.
  12. deadlybulb

deadlybulb Contributing Member

Agreed. Watching the last game, there was one moment, in particular, that really annoyed me. Nene got a block and Bill said, "Nene says, "No-no!"" and Clyde responds, "When did you come up with that one, Bill?" and an annoyed Bill responds, "I've been using it all season, you just haven't been paying attention."

Bill is an icon. I've been watching Bill since I got into the NBA and became a Rox in 1990.

Ideally, IMO, Clyde finds some new venture in his life and retires from broadcasting allowing Calvin to step back in. I'd even be ok with totally separate home/road teams with Craig, Clyde and Matt on the road and Bill, Calvin, and Matt at home. Clyde would never go for that, though.

13. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think I agree with this. Bill is slipping for sure, but I'm also not sure Ackerman is the replacement. Bull is still great imo. As someone that doesn't live in Houston and listens to a lot of different local commentators, Bull is one of the best imo. He will smooth the transition, but they need to find the right guy, someone as likable as Bill.

Clyde on the other hand should be kicked out asap.

14. Newlin

Newlin Member

Yes, I think Bullard is fine. What's strange is that Ackerman and Bullard don't seem to have any chemistry. While Bullard and Worrell work very well together. And yes, Clyde is awful. I don't even want to imagine Ackerman and Clyde working together.

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Now you're confusing me... I love JVG, and Marv is solid (but he's just a play by play guy, not a color commentator). But Hubie is probably one of the top 2-3 worst color commentators on national TV right now. I honestly did not know there existed people who not only didn't loathe his commentary, but actually *liked* him. I'm dumbfounded. I don't even know where to begin... "Fluent" and "insightful"???... I mean are you... You've gotta be... OK, we're just at an impasse here, and we're not going to come to anything close to an agreement on this one.

I agree that Reggie is awful, too, though. So it sounds like we agree about everyone but Worrell and.... ****ing Hubie, somehow. Just shocked on that one.

And all I said was that I didn't grow up with Worrell like some of you. That doesn't mean I "just started" watching him. I've been watching/listening to him for the better part of a decade.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Believe it or not, I could EASILY call a Rockets game - my degree is broadcast journalism, I could step in tomorrow and do his job.......

DD

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

All this bill hate reminds me I'm getting older. Stop hating on bill people.

Little Bit likes this.
  18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

Hopefully we can give him a chip to retire on.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

20. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

I think it would be fun to give you a shot for a game or 2. Do you have any real world experience?