1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Bill Worrell being pushed out by Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 18, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Good news if he does indeed stay for another season (hopefully multiple).

Totally understandable for a man his age to only do home games. Hell after next season if he gets too tired I'd be happy with him just calling the playoffs.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Hell yeah.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

4. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I truly don't understand why so many people like Worrell. Does he seem like a "good guy"? Sure, I guess. But he's dry as hell as an announcer and has such an old-man take on basketball and an old man sense of humor. Plus, he's losing his wits. He gets some blatantly obvious number or fact wrong every single game, and that kinda thing just irritates the hell out of me. (Like the feeling grammar nazis get when seeing a missing apostrophe). Plus, he uses the word "defensing". ****ing "defensing".

He's also a terrible combination of being a little bit of a homer while also being critical of some of the wrong things when the Rockets do make mistakes.

Other things specifically about him bother me that I can't remember off the top of my head. Usually the guys who are not former players are supposed to provide some entertainment value. He does not.

My favorite commentator for the Rockets (and maybe for any local broadcast) is probably Matt Bullard.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Wasn't aware that play by play guys couldn't be a little bit dry. For some strange reason, I was under the impression that their job was to talk about game action and the color guys job was to add the commentary on the side...

It also baffles me how people rip on Bill for being a homer. Sorry folks, I am a Rockets fan and I want my local commentators to be homers. I want them to be obvious fans of the team. This is not a negative in my mind.

Is Bill slipping a bit? Yes, he definitely gets names wrong or messes something else up at least once a game if not more, but it doesn't bother me. He is still one of the best in the biz and I hope he stays on the team for another decade...

6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

7. hakeemthagreat

Bill is a LEGEND in Houston sports history (not just basketball). You guys are idiots. Rockets basketball doesn't exist without Bill Worrell. I guess since I'm from Houston and grew up watching the Rockets since the 80's, I've grown to appreciate him more. But some of this nonsense in here is just plain ridiculous. I can't imagine watching the Rockets without hearing Bill or Calvin. These guys are part of the reason I started watching the Rockets as a kid. I'd take Bill over ANY announcer in the league

Blake, waytookrzy079, PyroTex and 4 others like this.
  8. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe he can replace the new guy in the Astros booth.

9. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

He'll always be our first round draft choice.

10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

You're full of sh**.

And I bet you wouldn't know good if it slapped you in the mangina. Bet you hate Hubie Brown on BSPN too.

mario_v likes this.
  11. joeson332

joeson332 Member

How'd I miss this

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

He's been a major voice of Rockets games for what - 3 decades? Many of us have grown up with Bill as the distinctive voice of Rockets games. He's made some of the calls on the Rockets biggest moments over the years. He also has a distinct style with the southern accent and relaxed approach.

I can fully understand why someone wouldn't like him. I'm also sure you CAN understand why some do...

charlieaustin likes this.
  13. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

delete

J.R. likes this.
  14. eslate22

eslate22 Member

this is cold-blooded

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

He's great, especially when he's with Calvin. They were awesome together.

He's a consumate professional, which is why he doesn't just call out Drexler for being dumb and Bullard for complaining too much. It's probably the grind working with those guys that has caused him to quit.

PyroTex and charlieaustin like this.
  16. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Number 1 draft choice:rolleyes:

PyroTex, Killatron 2000 and htownrox1 like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look it is time for him to go, he is seriously slipping. We don't need another Harey Carey situation here, let's remember him for his prime and not for where he is now, consistently getting names wrong, getting teamates mixed up, the guy is just not that good anymore.

He WAS amazing, but if Gene Peterson can be retired, then so can Bill Worrell....

Father time is undefeated, and it is Bill's time.

DD

18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Ehh..... Everybody does. Something might be a little off with you if you appreciate Hubies takes and commentating.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I wouldn't mind seeing Bill do the pre-game and post-game alongside Calvin.

20. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I love Hubie, his takes of the game are insightful. The one guy I can't stand is Reggie Miller. I've strayed into color commentator territory, but at least Hubie and Bill have the same style.

I don't always need Mike Breen yelling "BANG!" in my ear every time LeBron makes a three. Maybe I'm more old school.

One thing I definitely don't like the Rockets' new guy Craig Ackerman (ex-radio guy). He stumbles more often than Bill when he "tries" to bring excitement to an already great play. Bill keeps it simple and shows good excitement but doesn't try to take it over the top.

Bill is a legend, FTR.