1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Bill Worrell being pushed out by Rockets organization

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Aug 18, 2016.

1. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

This is how I feel. You just let someone like him retire from your organisation when he is ready.

Just like you do not trade Hakeem Olajuwon before his last year from your organisation.

Look I hate the Lakers and was enjoying how badly Kobe played last year. But I do respect the Lakers that they kept Bryant even though he was terrible and made to much money. You let someone that has done so much for your organisation retire in your uniform.

ak99999 likes this.
  2. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

I agree with this sentiment as well. This is why I think Riley made a mistake in letting Wade go.

What was the point of not overpaying an old veteran like Wade? Not like anybody except Cleveland and maybe San Antonio is really going to compete with Golden State anyways. The benefit of building a loyal reputation is more important in this case.

3. sabesque

sabesque Member

Then you look at Boston, who made the tough choice to move Paul Pierce. At that time Paul Pierce had become a generational Boston player, but was on the tail end of the career. Instead of being sentimental about Pierce finishing his career in green, Ainge moved him (and his crew) at just the right time for some valuable assets.

As a result he put the organization in a really good position in the long term while being able to fully commit to the development of their next generation

4. lewlloydfan

lewlloydfan Member

bill worrell is only as good as the annoucers nexxt to him and they are below average. I guarentee you if a new sidekick for bill was hired. I think kenny smith would be a good choice for half the games possibly robert horry who does work for the lakers postgame shows, maybe kevin willis, mario elie.

5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Celtics had a similar history of taking care of their own until Len bias happened.

6. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Kobe was special let's not compare him with Paul pierce. That said we shouldn't have traded Hakeem.

7. sabesque

sabesque Member

I mean this is really about some people comparing Kobe to bill worrell, somehow

8. PhiSlammaJamma

What all these broadcasts teams are missing is that people tune in to love and hate someone, yet all we ever see is love for the team. We need someone on the team who is a little bit likeable at times, but disagreeable too. Edge it up.

9. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

I started at Warner Cable when Worrell did. Saw him around the studio then, which was just down the hall from everyone. It was a tiny group then.

Bill listen, it's time to GO son.

10. Severe_AMir

Severe_AMir New Member

I see what the org is doing, which is keeping the Rockets younger and fresh, but as long as Bill has been dedicated to broadcasting for Houston i think he should be able to leave under his own right. Unless he wasn't performing to par.

11. DreamEarlNolan

With tonight's game being the last of the regular season, could it be possible this will be Bill Worrell's last time announcing a Rockets game? I'm not claiming to have any inside information or anything, but with his games being cut in half this year and reports that he was being forced out, I just wonder if he will be back next year. If this is his last game, I for one will hate to see him go.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Newlin

Newlin Member

See, I still think Bill is good. I guess maybe I'm declining at the same rate as Bill, so I just don't notice the difference.

I have watched all the road games with the new guy, and if that's an improvement, then I'm not seeing it.

Richie_Rich and DonKnock like this.
  13. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I don't care for Ackerman. Bill always makes me laugh with his nick names made up on the spot and he gets excited when someone hits a cold blooded 3 lol

14. Reeko

Reeko Member

if anyone should be getting pushed out it's Matt Thomas, dude is 1 of the worst Public Address Announcers in the NBA

I miss JPS

TheresTheDagger, Vivi and mario_v like this.
  15. mario_v

mario_v Member

Matt Thomas is soo bad which is a shame because he's actually my favorite radio guy on 790.

BigMaloe likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

I struggle to think of a worse announcer in the NBA...I'm really hoping that he was just a fill-in for this season and we have somebody much better lined up for next year

going from JPS to Matt Thomas has been like going from James Harden to Tyler Ennis

17. Vivi

Vivi Member

Same here, i don't know what the **** they were thinking when they made this change tbh...

18. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Disagree. I liked JPS a lot, but I also think Matt Thomas brings a lot to the table. JPS seemed a little bored by the end of his tenure. The way these things work JPS will probably be back in a few years anyway.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

What does MT bring to the table? I honestly can't think of anything.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Root has covered parts of the playoffs before. Definitely the Dallas series two years ago. Can't remember if they covered GSW.

DonKnock likes this.