1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Astros Blocked a Potential Deal That Would Have Brought Rockets Games to DirecTV

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Hard to blame the Rockets for that. Bud Adams came up with his proposed Alamodome monstrosity without even asking the Rockets first. I don't think any NBA team anywhere would have agreed to that.

2. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

lol. Hitting a ball going 100mph is hard yo.

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Agreed.

4. Visagial

Visagial Contributing Member

Man this makes my blood boil. The Astros are seriously miscalculating here. Right now, their leverage is high as there's still hope for them and the season. Once they start playing and everyone sees what a ridiculous team and organization they are, there's going to be very little appetite to watch them on television. No one will care after a few games that the Astros aren't on TV.

5. BeardlyBeardman

They won't get any of my money I can tell you that. My baseball fandom has been gradually receding anyway because following baseball is really a burden compared to football and basketball. Night in and night out watching multiple hours of poorly played, agonizingly slow baseball. And what did you get out of it? You waste your time with a knightly punch in the gut watching your team lose by a run in a game that means virtually nothing and has no postseason implications whatsoever. Ughh it sounds exausting just thinking about it.

Even if you're watching bad basketball every other night there are thrilling moments that make it worthwhile.

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The crazy / unbelievable part isn't that the Astros are doing it - if they can hold out for more money, why not - it's that the Rockets apparently entered into a contract that allowed them to do so.

Unless I'm missing something, then, the Rockets have allowed their brand equity to be meaningfully diminished while the Astros suffer meaningfully very little.

If the Astros were going to be the major (largest) owner and lynchpin (you HAVE to have their vote), the Rockets should have included certain clauses to protect themselves - I'm not sure what or how, but something.

1 person likes this.
  7. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

Here's to hoping the Rockets nix any deal come spring time with Directv as retribution.

8. conquistador#11

not only do you let another douchebag named bud bribe you into moving to a different league but now this!

9. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Oh Lastros. I defended you when people asked why I still watch your games. I pay to see you in person when the stadium is a ghost town. I buy your apparel even though it is overpriced. I even recently thought about flying to BOS/NY or Pitt in May to watch you play on the road... But you ****ed with the Rockets. Football is my favorite sport, but the Rockets are my favorite team. Luckily (I use that term loosely), I have Comtrash, so I get to see my favorite team. But I have plenty of friends who don't get to see our favorite team and have to go out to bars all over town to watch them, or watch them illegally over the internet via crappy streams with nonstop ads. I can't believe you ****ed the Rockets...

#29 Ricksmith, Jan 15, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ah, Jim Crane is really endearing himself to Houston sports fans, isn't he?

11. bgp10626

bgp10626 Member

I bet you if no one goes to watch the game and Owners sees their stadium empty for atleast 10 games he gonna be running over to make a deal with all of the service providers.

12. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Always hated astro's management. I will continue not to spend a single penny on anything related to Houston baseball.

13. DorianTurk

DorianTurk Member

COMPLETE BS!! EFF YOU, JIM CRANE!

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Astros, the joke of the MLB. I will not be watching any Astros games this season nor will I be going to any games. Have fun playing in front of 10 thousand people every night.

15. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

Haven't gone to any Rockets game, won't be going to any Astros games, and will never ever ever switch back to Comcast. Sent emails to Rockets and Comcast. Will send an email to the Astros. Make yourself heard and vote with your wallets people.

16. crimsonghost

crimsonghost Member

17. Illegal Machine

Wait....what happened to "Astros/Rockets have their money, this is all a provider issue now".

If the Rockets and Astros have been paid, what motivation do they have to block any deal?

If Comcast gets $3 per subscriber instead of $2, do the Astros get MORE money? I thought that wasn't the case.

18. macho87

macho87 Member

What is the astros email?

19. coolweather

coolweather Contributing Member

Houston sports at its best.

20. TRAV

TRAV Member

im not even mad

got dish