1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Big Dogzz

Big Dogzz Member

I sometimes wonder how the hell Dre put up with us for even this long. Seriously if I was him and I heard this from Bob McNair I would ask if it was possible for an owner to cut himself for losing a step or two in owning a franchise. Then again you can't lose a step if you're completely adept in building a team to begin with.

In the end I think after this ordeal has come and gone and now I can think clearly and unemotionally about the situation. And I don't think the problem with Andre Johnson being on this team was talent. He still has plenty of it and we all know in the back of our minds he will more than show it for the Colts this year with a legitimate QB. The issue very simply was the $16 million that would have hit the books had he remained.

Bob McNair however told Coach O'Brien not to cut Andre over money purposes this year as he made a personal promise to him that he wouldn't do so leading up to training camp. So what does O'Brien do? The only thing he can do which is tell Andre he'd only catch 40 balls and be a reserve. That would not have been true we all know that. But that's the only way O'Brien could drive a player (who we all can agree is worth good money even still but not $16 million) out.

In the end Andre Johnson was a victim of being caught in 2 different era's. He believed in the Kubiak regime and what they were trying to accomplish so he restructured for us and did so multiple times. However when plans changed and we chose O'Brian and his "team first and always" way he very boldly put it out there he doesn't care about individuals. Hell he didn't even campaign for JJ to be MVP if you noticed. So the Andre Johnson completing his back-loaded contract promise (which originally was made by Kubiak and their regime during restructuring) went out the window when it came to him. That's what the issue was over.

I think you guys are simplifying this too much by making this an Andre over the hill or not over the hill issue. A guy who caught 85 receptions for 975 yards in 14 and a half games (out due to concussion for 1 and a half) from 3 different QB's all of whom (except for Case) it's his first season playing with, you've got to be crazy to say this guy is all washed up. He just didn't fit for this team in 2015 because of money and that's that.

Farewell Andre and best of luck. We know you're going to do your thing out there.

1 person likes this.
  2. prohibido

prohibido Member

Andre is going to have an excellent upcoming year.

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

"adept" -- that word doesn't mean what you think it means

4. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yawn... Colt fans! SMH.

5. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

McNair.....well it's his team, his money but damn he says some really dumb things sometimes. You don't burn the best player in your franchises history. (Jj watt not withstanding).

He's gone. Let it go. Seems almost like its personal now.

6. Victorious

Victorious Member

This reduced role thing.....let's say Dre agreed. Were they going to pay him his contact money for that role? Because that doesn't seem smart at all. Or was this just a way to save face?

7. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

You mention Andre restructuring for us as if he did us a favor. He didn't take a pay cut, he just got more money up front.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

A "perennial loser" that's only had 2 losing seasons in the last 8 years?

Seriously, let's quit acting like we're the raiders or the browns just because we have yet to win a Superbowl in our first 13 years of existence.

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Well we've been to the playoffs only twice.

10. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I forgot people were automatons with no emotion or ability to get frustrated.

seriously, stop posting immediately - you're hurting the collective IQ of the board

11. studogg

and how many of those years did we have a legitimate team?

How many ****ty qb's did he have to suffer through?

do you weirdos give any allowance for a great player to get frustrated because he hasn't had as many opportunities as he'd hoped?

I get he's a bit of a whiny b****. And yes, bobbythemediocre - i was frustrated with his lack of passion on the field last year, but as a human being, I could relate to his frustration and didn't hold it against him.

Has he lost a step? sure

Is he still better than the vast majority of recievers in the league? Absolutely

Was telling him he'd only catch around 60 passes a smart idea? Depends on what outcome you were planing on getting with that pitch.

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Damnit McNair...

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I wasn't sure which snarky response to go with when I pointed out this ironic error, so please, humor me and read each one with the same level of interest:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Look if you'd like to think of Andre Johnson as a petulant child who hurt the team because he was throwing a temper tantrum about how many games they won the previous year, knock yourself out. Personally I don't think that badly of Andre. I think it's a lot more likely that time simply caught up to him. I guess we'll all know soon enough, but if he really was the guy you think he was, we should never honor him. He was always a professional in every other season he played, so I find it hard to believe but again, if you want to think that poorly of him, I'm sure there's nothing I can do to change your mind.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What's funny is that some argue that he was petulant and pouty about not being on a playoff team, yet his poor performance last season was a large part of the reason the Texans weren't in the playoffs....funny how that works.

16. studogg

You realize you make absolutely zero sense. None. Well done. You have won the internet.

Funny how that works

And dont put words in my mouth in how i view someone dumbass. I never said a petulant child. Call me back in 20 years when youve worked a day ot two in your life.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, don't think for a second that your inability to follow along in a conversation indicates someone else not making sense. Your shortcomings are your own, and I won't judge you for them so long as you don't try and shift the blame to others for them.

18. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Bobby is still at it? Wow

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not your fault Studogg. It's not your fault.

[​IMG]

20. studogg

wow - just wow. this b
    oard gets harder and harder to tolerate given idiots like yourself.

have fun - post whatever inane tripe you care for, I'll no longer read a word.

Maybe it's because I'm being a petulant child because my employer lied to my face when he told me I'd retire a texan and in a season with a new coach/system/crappy qb and coming off of 2 wins, I didn't commit fully.

and let's not mistake dropped passes for a lost step. his dropped passes are what hurt. dropped, not ones not gotten too, dropped. that is a direct correlation to focus.

Did I mention that my boss also promised me publicly that they'd fulfill my contract while at the same time docking me $1M for missing days in training camp?

How you like them apples

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.