1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I said this on another site last summer and got called every name in the book. Its not a knock on AJ its just he is not worth $16 million at this stage of his career.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Jaguars? Yeah they're not selling games out like the Texans are. But that's moot since he doesn't have to clear waivers.

3. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

I hope dre gets a shot with a legit QB. If so statistically speaking he'll likely retire as the second most prolific wr in nfl history.

4. oelman44

oelman44 Member

Your right, but you have at least respect him for not b****ing and moaning about the team, QB play, front office, etc. I always respect great athletes who are content with being on mediocre teams, and it sucks that in Andre's prime the Texans were just not good. He was our best player for a while and has been the best player in Texans history, so we have to at least respect him for that.

5. Summer Song Giver

More impeccable Texan timing... one year removed from the GREATEST WR rookie crop ever and we decide to cut ties with Dre and move into the " we need a WR opposite Hopkins" category.

At least we got Clowney tho.

6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I stopped reading at 'bleacher report'.

7. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

heh, yea...

maybe clowney comes back strong and has a very nice career alongside jj watt.

i'm not counting on it, nor am i betting against it.

releasing AJ is something the texans have to do. the cap room is desperately needed at other positions.

more importantly, whether it's rg3, trading up for a qb.. something has to be done at the qb position. no more of this "no franchise qb is available", blah blah blah.

if BOB is a qb guru... he can fix rg3. or he can develop connor cook. SOMETHIING!!!!!!

......sorry to get off topic.... :)

8. Win

Win Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure McNair will find a way to keep AJ around whether it's good for the Texans and AJ or not.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Not the Colts--PLEASE!

10. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

People sure turn quick on Andre.

11. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Bwhahaha what source OP?

12. conquistador#11

*source: kubiak or chuck pagano will recruit andre if he refuses paycut and is cut. 50.1% done deal. book it, almost. =)

*logic

13. joeson332

joeson332 Member

its pretty obvious he's leaving though

14. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I am forced to agree. I love AJ to death but given the fact that the Texans have NO ONE at QB next year who can properly utilize his talents, he simply is not worth a $16 salary hit.

15. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

no kidding. Bunch of ingrates.

With that being said, it was only a matter of time that there were going to part ways. The whole "texans for life" was/is a fantasy. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

Anyone that can remotely understand cap numbers would know this is coming. There is no reason for Andre to be on the roster with that cap figure.

We always bash McNair for being too loyal...so there shouldn't be any criticism of the Texans choose to part ways with AJ. Andre on the team with an 8 million dollar cap hit would be okay, but nothing more than that. The team has too many other issues and if winning is really the goal, then the cap money needs to be used wisely.

17. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's already looking like the 1983 draft for wide receivers. And that's STILL waiting on guys like Moncrief, Richardson and Latimer.

18. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

It's not like AJ can't re-sign with the Texans when he actually decides to retire. That offer for a post-retirement Texans job from McNair, or whoever, should still be good.

19. Nimo

Nimo Member

So what reason are people using now?

He's not good anymore
    He's too good to be stuck on a bad team
    He deserves a better QB
    He deserves to win a super bowl
    He is not as good as his contract

Just a few weeks ago, we were on here talking about playoff odds. So, if the Texans beat the Bengals and Colts; this doesn't happen?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he's not that good anymore/he doesn't seem to give 100% anymore and he's not worth his contract. I'm sure there are some who believe that he "deserves" to have a shot at a SB and to not be stuck on a bad team and to have a better QB. Honestly all of those things could be accurate depending on how you look at it.

I'd personally like him to take a pay cut and finish the last few years of his career here, but I don't think there is any way he'll do that so I wish him well wherever he goes so long as his interests don't conflict with the interests of the Texans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.