1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nimo

Nimo Member

If they cut him, doesn't he have to clear waivers? What if he gets picked up by the Jaguars instead?

2. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

They would have to pay his salary and I don't know why they would want to pay a receiver in the tail end of his career when they are nowhere near competing.

3. solid

solid Contributing Member

Stay Classy Texans. :rolleyes:

4. blackistan

blackistan Member

Hahaha how sad is that

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Don't believe he would be subject to waivers. Once released, he's free to sign.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Today marks the first day all <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/NFL?src=hash">#NFL</a> teams can begin to release or waive players. Players with 4 seasons of credit are not subject to waivers.</p>&mdash; Adam Caplan (@caplannfl) <a href="https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/430331897441693696">February 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

6. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

I would be ok with this. Or Broncos.

7. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

The Texans don't owe Andre Johnson anything.

Andre has been compensated more than enough if this time here in Houston. Andre has b****ed, moaned, held out and acted like a diva with his contract his entire career here.

It's not the Texans' fault that he had his uncle represent him (with no prior history of negoatiating a salary for an NFL player). It's not the Texans' fault that Andre signed for a smaller number for guaranteed money before Larry Fitzgerald set the bar higher for wide receivers. The Texans have bent over backwards to accommodate Andre and have renegotiated his contract several times during his tenure in Houston. http://www.sbnation.com/2010/5/17/1475870/andre-johnson-contract-skips-texans-otas

I'm tired of hearing how Andre "wasted" his talents here, he could have signed a shorter deal and signed elsewhere. The Texans' window was ridiculously small and it's nice to win and it sucks to lose, but Mr. Johnson's pay checks cleared all the same.

The Texans are at a point now where Andre's production does not match his play and when it's all said and done, it's a business. The Texans are looking to retain the greatest player in their short history, but it has to be economical. Andre will not get paid by another team (at least not the amount he's currently making or more than likely the amount that the Texans want him to drop to). If he wants to leave for a shot at he Lombardi trophy, I understand that, but enough with the talk of all that Andre has done for the franchise, the franchise has reciprocated back several times.

If this is Andre's swan song, I'll be sad to see him go, as I watched him play at the U and was ecstatic when the Texans drafted him. Andre was easily one of the top receivers in the league for a number of years and should make it to Canton one day. It can be daydreamed about all day, what if Andre played with an elite QB? How many elite QBs are there? What if Barry Sanders played behind the OL that Emmitt Smith had? How many yards could he have gained? There are tons of scenarios and Andre's will join them, but when it's all said and done, I'm a Texans' fan. No player is bigger than the team. Im not particularly happy with the mediocrity that the Texans' personnel decisions, but they're my team and I'll root for the nonetheless, like I have since they were NFL Franchise 32. I hope Andre stays a Texan and retires in steel blue, battle red and liberty white, but if not I'll be thankful for the memories.

2 people like this.
  8. Nimo

Nimo Member

Publicity? Ticket sales? Trade bait?

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

then watch him go light it up when he joins a team with a half decent qb.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

So the last time we may possibly see Dre in uniform is goin to be these next two Sundays??? :(

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Andre just played very poorly this year. It mightve been his preseason crap that carried onto the season. He lacked the proper preparation with Fitz..This year more than ever, he had several key drops, fumbles, and did a poor job as a route runner. He had made his fair share of plays, but it seemed he played with a distant mind. (heck even opposing players noticed the difference.) I still believe he has a couple of years left in the tank, but the end is clearly near. He just isnt the same monster he has been for most of his career.

12. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

it's just business.

the texans are in no position to keep an aging receiver on a massive contract.

that money is better served elsewhere.

13. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

if he suits up.

i would not be surprised to see him sit out the last two games considering the qb situation & they're basically playing for nothing.

chances are the last andre johnson play in a texans uniform is getting concussed on an illegal hit.

14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Meh, he's not worth his contract and he was a distraction in the off-season. If he takes a pay cut, it'll be great to have him for a year or two more before retirement, if not, he can leave and get that pay cut elsewhere for a year or two before retirement. I honestly don't care one way or the other.

15. Remii

Remii Member

How would an extension give AJ the most money he could get... Unless you're saying he was asking for more money. It looked like he was asking for a trade and there were reports that he would restructure his contract for the team (playoff team) he was traded to (which could possibly mean he would take a pay cut). So you're only assuming he will go to the highest bidder and his actions with the Texans this past off season don't point towards that being the case... Because if he was worried about his money he would have kept his mouth shut and showed up like he was suppose to during the off-season.

Maybe AJ has had a change of heart and will take a pay cut and stay because he believes this is a playoff team and or Bob McNair will chuck him some extra change on the side like San Antonio and Dallas are doing for Duncan and Dirk.

Personally I think he's out of here and I'd be surprised if he plays another game.

16. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The NFL salary cap frequently results in hard cuts like this. Nobody want's to see Dre leave, but considering his diminshed skills he is simply too big a cap hit. Those saying it's all poor QB play. DeAndre Hopkins is gonna be over 1,200 yards and a Pro Bowler. Dre simply isn't worth that salary anymore.

If he does go somewhere else I will be rooting for him, he deserves success.

17. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

They can maybe get a 5th round pick. The Texans have sold out every game ever. Andre will not put people in seats. Winning will.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

If Jerry Rice can finish his career on a different team, so can Andre Johnson.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Let him get cut and find the Fountain of Youth elsewhere. He deserves it. I just hope he comes back here to retire.

I wish Amari Cooper would fall to us, but he won't. Maybe we can find a gem in that next group of receivers. Jaelen Strong, maybe?

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

This.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.