1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They don't need to cut AJ to sign Hoyer outright though... there's got to be another move (unless they're escalating the offer to Hoyer due to the Jets).

2. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

3. skenney1993

skenney1993 Member

According to spotrac, the Texans have around $8 million in space after dead money and draft pick money is accounted for. With Myers cut, there's $14 million. Kareem and Newton will have a combined cap hit of $12 million. There's $2 million left to resign Mallet and pay Hoyer. This is why Andre's money will help pay for the QB's.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

But you don't need draft pick money now... I wasn't automatically accounting for that.

5. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Nope; Spotrac is updated. They officially have $11.9MM; Andre Johnson would save an additional $8.8MM; Fitzpatrick $3.2MM - and they can still release or restructure JJo. (A release would save another $8.55MM.) And if they are targeting a TE, Graham is almost certainly gone (another $2.4MM saved).

Release all 4 and they have $35MM.

6. Milos

Milos Member

7. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

That's before Newton/Mallett/Hoyer. Would be around $20MM in space if all 4 are cut.

8. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just got off the phone with WR Andre Johnson. He told me, &quot;I'm just sitting around waiting to hear the news like everyone else&quot; More to come</p>&mdash; Josina Anderson (@JosinaAnderson) <a href="https://twitter.com/JosinaAnderson/status/574970927097585665">March 9, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Did i read that correctly?

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Looks pretty straight-forward. No individual is more important than the team.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

[rquoter]WR Andre Johnson to me on expectations/ reports Texans will release him: "I mean, it is what it is. It's just the nature of the business. I'm not really worried about it. I will go somewhere else and play, and hopefully I can do well for them."

WR Andre Johnson on what future team he prefers to play for: "Wherever I go, I hope I can play with a great quarterback. I don't know. I'm just going to wait and see what happens. A lot of these teams want young players; so we'll just see what happens. I am open to visiting teams."

WR Andre Johnson to me on if he should've had the right to play out his career for Texans: "The funny thing is that when (a player) asks to be traded or something, people get on you about honoring your contract. But when you've done a lot for an organization and they feel like you get old, then they don't have to honor their contract. I don't get where they come up with this honoring your contract when you're very very productive and you are doing great things for them....I don't know a lot of guys in the league that catch 85 balls and have almost 1,000 yards that that's a down year for them. But you have a year like that and then it's 'well your old, we want to reduce your role,' and all this stuff--I don't get that. But that's the nature of the business. Like I said, it doesn't make sense. It doesn't make sense to a lot of people. That's just the way it is. I expected it to happen and I don't have any ill feelings against the Texans organization."[/rquoter]

#531 J.R., Mar 9, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

He is pretty Spot on with the last paragraph

Rocket River

13. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But why? If you believe Mallett's the guy...why sign Hoyer at any price? I'm so confused right now.

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

If Mallett struggles or gets injured again, BoB wants to put in someone he has confidence in. Also wants someone to challenge Mallett for the starting spot, wants Mallett to earn that starting spot.

15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

There's no way they can be 100% sold on Mallet. If they were, I'd be concerned about this regimes decision making going forward.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Lots of people are going to sleep on AJ this year in fantasy.

Dude is going to kill unless he goes somewhere they spread the ball around.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I disagree, I think people will draft him far too early, he's looking at maybe 800 or 900 yards tops unless he goes to a team so terrible that they just keep forcing passes into him. If he plays for a good team he'll be worth sleeping on.

19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone knew he'd be upset about not getting paid this year like he was hoping to but this is flat out an ignorant comment. The teams ALWAYS honor their contract, even when they cut players.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.