1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

LOL, how so?

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think cutting ties with your franchise's face, who hindered the team at time last year with his random fumbleitis and pouting is a good move.

Dre doesn't deserve the contract anymore. Part of me wants to ride the pay him the rest because he was a good soldier, but teams that do that swim in mediocrity.

BOB will right the ship. I feel confident that the Texans will improve next year.

3. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

4. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But that contract severely limits where he can go; generally, good teams aren't likely to have the space to absorb his deal and my guess is that his priority (beyond money) is playing for a good team.

He's 1,000% better off being released, for a lot of reasons but most importantly, he can negotiate a contract prior to free agency opening, which is a tremendous advanatge.

5. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Let Dre do whatever the hell he wants. He's earned that right.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Texans have to do what's in the best interest for them. They were going to allow Andre and his agent to try to negotiate their own trade but they've refused. Texans should still kick the tires and see if they can find a trade partner themselves before considering releasing Andre outright.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

As long as it doesn't hurt the team.

8. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Nope. He's been compensated for his on the field performance to date. The Texans need to do what's right for the franchise at this point.

9. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

Hah wow.

10. Hey Now!

Yeah, three of your examples were QBs, though, which are an entirely different, consistently overvalued animal. WRs: Bolden fecthed a 6; Harvin fetched a 6. Marshall got 2 3s but he was also 28 and, at about $19MM over two years, on a significantly friendlier contract.

I said in that thread I'd be surprised if AJ fetched anything better than a 4; in hindsight, that was silly. He had no value; less now. And the Texans would have been fools to eat his money rather than play him, IMO.

11. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Exactly. Idk why people are so bent out of shape because of this move. I love Andre as much as the next fan but in my opinion this move comes a year too late.

Remember this?
    http://lubbockonline.com/stories/080201/pro_0802010068.shtml

We'll be ok and no matter where Andre goes, he'll always be a Texan.

win/win

12. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Wellp, looks most likely like he's going to get cut. Didn't really expect to get anything for him anyway with that contract. Hope he goes to a real Super Bowl contender. I don't know how much cap space Green Bay has, but I think that might be a good spot for him with Cobb leaving.

13. Hey Now!

I'm completely baffled by this thought process... If the Jags are willing to give us a pick, the Texans shouldn't think twice about shipping him there - or any other undesirable location. What's he's "earned" is tens of millions of dollars and that's all he's owed. I don't give two flips where he ends up, and neither should the Texans.

1 person likes this.
  14. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Seattle is a contender with a huge need at WR, decent cap space and a franchise QB. Plus we don't play them next year. My best case scenario, as long as it's not the ****ing Colts or Baltimore I'll be happy.

15. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I just hope that wherever he goes, he wins. He deserves it.

16. RockFanFirst

RockFanFirst Member

Anywhere but Indy.

17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Good Ole Boy Jerry Jones might give him a call

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Transactions through free agency and draft.

19. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

This tear down really could not have gone any smoother from a roster perspective (but definitely could have PR wise). Pretty much turned a dreadful cap sheet with loads of dead money into a clean sheet with lots of room and minimal dead money going forward... with a fairly young roster.

Next offseason is the first year where it makes financial sense to cut/trade Cushing and Foster and I expect that to happen too. Unless Cushing returns to DROY Cush.

20. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

You would hope Indy wins a lot if he goes there? If he stays in the AFC he is likely going to a team that expects to make the playoffs. If he stays in the AFC, I'm hoping the team he plays for stinks. Better chance of the Texans making the playoffs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.