1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Texans plan to cut Andre Johnson if he refuses pay cut

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by joeson332, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. solid

solid Contributing Member

If I were him, I would stay for less. He doesn't look like someone who would just fit in anywhere.

2. awc713

awc713 Member

Easy to say when its not your $. And I disagree. He's Andre Johnson. He would fit in anywhere. What team would say no to him? Objectively speaking, I can't think of any team that would turn their nose up at AJ80...MAYBE if the team is in full on rebuild mode, but no team in the NFL is at this point of the year.

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well he's not really "Andre Johnson" anymore, he's really just a shell of his former self. As to what teams would say no to him? Literally every team in the NFL at 16 million a year. Probably most of the league at 8 million a year.

4. awc713

awc713 Member

Obviously he's not in his prime anymore. That wasn't my point. I'm not saying teams are lining up to pay him 16MM. He's clearly not worth 16MM a year, few players are. I was stating that he's not a bad fit in most teams like I had previously quoted.

AJ is still a very good, very valuable player to have on your team, and he is a good fit in most teams. He's still a fantastic route runner. He made some CBs look flat out silly last year. Evan at 33, AJ still drew a lot of attention, freeing up other WRs. AJ is a low-risk player in that he is also a fantastic locker room presence. Pair him with a good QB, and watch out. He is still physically capable of having a very good year. Brandon Lafell put up 950 yds and 7 TDs...you really don't think AJ is capable of those numbers given a good offense and QB?

Again, I'm not strictly stating what that market is. I'm not saying its between 8MM and 16MM, nor am I saying its a vet minimum situation. I'm just saying that the market is there, and that he is a fit for many teams, because many teams would happily take him on if we do cut him (and no one picks up our contract).

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

For the good of the team his money needs to be spread out over more contributing players.
    It's a good year for drafting a replacement. We need speed for Mallet.

had to be said

And for a lot of years I've said just throw it to Andre' on every play. He just getting too much of the cap.

6. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Texans gave Andre Johnson's agent, Kennard McGuire,permission to seek a trade after Andre declined to accept reduced role in offense in 2015</p>&mdash; Mark Berman (@MarkBermanFox26) <a href="https://twitter.com/MarkBermanFox26/status/572568189516660736">March 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here we go...

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p>Texans gave Andre Johnson permission to seek a trade. Told him he'd have a reduced role next season. He asked to be traded or cut instead.</p>&mdash; John McClain (@McClain_on_NFL) <a href="https://twitter.com/McClain_on_NFL/status/572568134625841152">March 3, 2015</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. BossHogg713

BossHogg713 Member

Goodbye Andre. Thanks for all you did. It wasn't your fault.....

9. Remix

Remix Member

This ****ing blows. I don't think I can accept seeing Dre in another uniform next season

:(:(

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jerry Rice finished his career as a Raider

Joe Montana finished his career as a Chief

Emmit Smith finished his career as a Cardinal

Hakeem Olajuwon finished his career as a Raptor

I think you'll get over it...

11. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Good bye Andre...wish you the best. Hope the team can just release him. He deserves to jump on a team he thinks can win a title. Go join Tom Brady or the Seahawks.

12. Remix

Remix Member

Only player I care about on that list is Hakeem and I'm still not over it. So no I won't get over it

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Bye Andre, thanks for all of the memories. :(

14. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It's not your fault AJ.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/wklDd8o8HFQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

Goodbye to Dre, don't blame him for moving on. Shame he was surrounded mostly by incompetence here. :(

16. IgotNext

IgotNext Member

This is best for both parties.

Best of luck to you Dre

As for houston, I wonder where the money is going now.

17. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Much love, carried us through the **** years. Best of luck to u dre

18. conquistador#11

broncos or colts, maybe brady invites him to nantucket for a weekend. not a bad situation at all for andre.

19. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Broncos and Kubiak make a lot of sense. Could be a bad move on his part though if Manning has lost it. If I were him I would go to the Packers.

20. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

Packers would be great, AJ has earned the right to play w an elite QB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.