1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Source] Rockets expect to keep Omer Asik for the rest of the season

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zergling, Jan 4, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good news. Let's his ***** ass rot

2. REEKO_HTOWN

Lie. Lebron makes 20 million next year if he stays in MIA

3. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

He'll make as much as love,westbrook,marc gasol,aldridge to name a few. U think he's anywhere close to thos guys in terms of production or talent?

4. REEKO_HTOWN

Loaded question. Asik is will be on the last year of his deal, in his prime and with median cap hit. Less talented Players have been covered with a contract like Omer's

Btw, you still lose. Brush up on the NBA.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

as long as it doesn't put them in the tax i think a playoff team would swallow that to retain his bird rights.

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This.

Just a smokescreen to add leverage

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I thought we already learned this in December. There's not much market for him. No reason to think he will fetch more at the deadline than he did last month.

8. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

If we keep him and he still refuses to play then this falls on Morey

9. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

don't believe,if Morey thinks we can contend with this team than he is on crack,if the Knicks would have played this smarter we would be 0-3 right now.

10. treeman

treeman Member

So, if his mysterious injury is real and he really can't play, isn't there some medical waiver the Rockets could use to cut him and wouldn't have to waste that salary? I bet his mysterious injury mysteriously heals real quick then.

Because the worst possible outcome here would be having $8.3 mil of cap space pouting on the bench for the next season and a half. Which sounds like a distinct possibility at this point.

11. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

Hmmm... Insurance policy? Maybe the Rockets know something that we don't, say... Dwight's health? Didn't McHale say something about Dwight's back recently?

12. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

i don't believe this crap..there are too many holes in this roster of ours to stay pat...honestly, Jan. 3-7 period is perfect for a trade execution by the Rockets.

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

No.

It's because we can't get anything for him. Like JuanValdez said though, we pretty much already knew he was going to stay.

I just look forward to his knee healing. I can't believe it's taken this long.

14. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Perhaps Omer to Cleveland for Bynum (who we cut) and a 2nd round pick.

15. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Lol and rockets can keep him for next season too.

16. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Question is, what's the status on his knee? Is he damaged goods now?

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He'll be gone by the deadline IMO just searching for the right deal, and also for players on the roster to show what they got. There's decision to be made, now that Jones has become a useful starter, about where we need upgrades the most.

18. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

Loaded question indeed. If you knew anything about nba salaries and mechanics, you would realize how dumb it is to compare contracts in this way.

Also, let's not forget that whoever got asik would have him from February and on...for a prorated fee of what, 2M? That should factor into the equation as well I imagine.

19. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I don't think his injury is nearly serious enough.

20. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

In reality, Asik signed a deal that was LESS player-friendly than a straight-up 3-year deal paying $8,374,646 per season, since it is so grossly backloaded (by rule).

I can assure you that all of the other players you listed make far in excess of this amount.

leebigez, I honestly expect more from you. To focus on the third year salary ($14.9M) while completely ignoring his below market value salaries this season and last ($5M, $5.225M) is flat out sloppy on your part.

Shame on you! :p