1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source of a Source: Morey is Out

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RudyT43, May 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. caneks

caneks Rookie

You young kid don't even know what is an elite team. lol.

2. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Sorry, can't. I've posted too much in this thread already.

3. Vivi

Vivi Member

How old are you?
    :rolleyes:

4. Blaster_333

Blaster_333 Member

Let's sign Sam Hinkie, he engineered the Harden trade.

He also had that impressive 13 page letter, he knows what he's doing.

5. topfive

topfive CF OG

DD quietly to himself: "Post too much? Is that really possible?"
    <BR>

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Then what is in the public record stands, until otherwise refuted.

But, I understand you not wanting to say things disclosed in private - big respect from me.

DD

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

No I think this is a very fair take. There is the way that "some posters" b**** and then there is the intelligent way to analyze the GM situation.

I think there are things about the Adleman situation that can help us understand the GM and owner we have and their mindset, but in the end we have to be smart enough to understand why things happened the way they did whether we agree with the decisions or not. The fact is, like him or not, Morey calculates every decision very precisely.

The main thing for me this summer to watch is whether of not Morey and to a certain extent Les learned from this past season and will improve in their respective positions or if Morey will be dug into his system and players (namely Brewer, and to an extent Ariza), or if he will be willing to say maybe I wasn't right and change things up.

I still think a variation of the same system can be used. I mean it's basketball and the pick and roll and the three point shot is something every team uses... It's basketball for crying out loud. But I agree that he needs to listen more and more to the head coach and I hope he chooses a head coach like JVG who isn't afraid to challenge him and the players. So again we learned a lot this year about our team... Mostly the lows of the lows. We know that might have been the worst .500 team in sports history.

But at the end of the day, Morey is still one of the top GM's in the league, and as long as he's got the humility to learn from getting knocked down, he's going to be an even better GM in the long run. If there is someone better though out there than I'm totally open to having that discussion and analyzing whether or not they can upgrade the team long term.

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Really!?! Who than, and why are they better to accomplish what needs to happen to the roster this summer?

Wasted 10 years? Had TMac and Yao stayed healthy would those years be wasted? How many years did it take him after Yao retired to get another superstar?

I actually think the team that lost in the first round to Portland Dwights first year here was more talented and dynamic than the team that went to the WCF. That was the team JVG picked to win it all.

Sorry Morey wasted your time but if you can't enjoy anything but championships in sports I'd hate to be you because yo probably aren't a very happy sports fan. People take this stuff just way too serious.

1 person likes this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree, the key is whether our two top guys are learning from their mistakes. Sure, Morey is 10 years in with us, but he came to us with almost no real experience as a GM. This wide-ranging coaching search sure seems more well-planned than the one that netted us McHale.

We may never know if he and Les had decided to cut ties with Adelman and, since firing him wouldn't look good, instead calculated the best way to get rid of him would be to subject him to a demand he'd find unreasonable. There's more than a little stink about the JB situation, too. It seems on the surface like they probably told him they were going in a different direction and offered him a front office spot, as was rumored. JB rightly thought that was a sh!tty offer and declined, withdrawing his name from a search that likely never would have included him in the first place.

Morey's a CBA genius and is good at finding gold nuggets among the available-players mud. This year, though, his big two-superstar experiment bottomed out because one of the two is no longer anywhere near the top of his game, putting undue pressure on the other.

If I were Les, I'd give Morey a little more leash, maybe a year or two at most, to see where things go. But hopefully he's learning as he goes along and won't bring in another Cadillac free agent and pretend like it's a Ferrari, like he did with Howard.

#509 topfive, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
  10. Sanity2disChaos

I'm pretty sure Les mad that Lin kid work. I agree with you totally and think Harden should have a role.

11. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I just don't agree with that... Even MJ was not in the process when the Bulls hired Phil...

The thing that needs to happen is that the front office hires the coach and then sends the memo down to the team that the coach is running the show and what he says go's....

If players don't want to get on board with that then move them and get players in that want to be a part of a team...

Now if Harden was a leader like Duncan or Kobe and had rings to back him up like them, then yes I could see him being a part of that process... But right now he has not earned that right.

T_Man

12. caneks

caneks Rookie

The purpose of getting superstar is to make it easier to win a championship, correct? It is hard to believe we as fans would enjoy our loved team having medicare result year by year, unfortunately, this is what has been happening in Rockets during Morey's tenure.

1) I guess you mean this team is built around Harden. Harden is not superstar, at least not now. The reason is that every true superstar has FG% above 45%, and Harden has FG% below than that.

2) Almost every NBA final team in the last 30 years, including all the current top teams, is built around superstar from their own development except 2004 Pistons who was not built around superstar. Rockets with Morey as GM is not constructed like any of those final teams. How could you or any Morey supporter make me believe that Morey is building a team for wining a championship?

deshen likes this.
  13. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Your definition of a superstar is completely arbitrary and utterly baseless. In the four seasons that Harden has been with the team, he has placed 8th, 5th, 2nd and 9th respectively in MVP voting. Within the basketball world, there is a clear consensus that he is at least one of the top 10 players in the game today.

Just a quick, incomplete list of HOF caliber players who either do not meet or only barely meet your 45% FG% rule (all stats from Basketball Reference):

Isiah Thomas .452
    Ray Allen .452
    Kobe Bryant .447
    Paul Pierce .445
    James Harden .443
    Bill Russell .440
    John Havlicek .439
    Elgin Baylor .431
    Tim Hardaway .431
    Allen Iverson .425
    Chauncey Billups .415
    Jason Kidd .400

The above are career FG% stats. The number of HOF level players with at least 1 season shooting under 45% is too large for a complete list.

This is not to mention that simply looking at FG% as a measure of offensive efficiency and ignoring 3PT% and FT% is just plainly misguided.

You are free to criticize Harden or Morey, but please at least come with a respectable argument.

#513 Marsarinian, May 10, 2016
    Last edited: May 10, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

This may sound bad to ask. I'm just curious how this works.

If something were to happen to Les Alexander.... Who takes over ownership? His wife? Kid? What are the rules in that situation?

16. MistaK

MistaK Member

...Don't do it!! We are all disappointed at how the season went!! Better seasons are upon us!!

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

Possibly DD or tinman.

18. caneks

caneks Rookie

You did not read through what I aid. It is hard to understand what you are trying to argue about. You are saying that I was wrong because those names on your list are or were all superstars in every single season of their career? That is not true.

deshen likes this.
  19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Batman Jones has a BRAIN. What a world it might be if EVERYBODY COULD HAVE A BRAAAAAIN. YOU'LL WANT ME, if YOU have a braaaainnnnnn.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  20. SeekingAlpha

SeekingAlpha Member

Like any other asset, his ownership in the team would be transferred to whoever he states in his will. In the case of Jerry Buss, it was passed down to his six children equally but had Jeanie assume the team President title.

It likely will either be his kids. Would be hilarious if it were some random person like JVG or Charles Barkley.