1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Met's GM will allow Don Baylor to join Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by moligity, Jul 12, 2004.

1. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

From JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ in the Chronicle

Class AA skipper opts not to grind rumor mill
    . . .

The Astros are within range of the wild card, but there is a sense among industry sources that Williams no longer will be allowed to lead the team. McLane doesn’t want anything to take away from the 75th All-Star Game, which will be played at Minute Maid Park on Tuesday night. One top team official says the Astros will wait until Wednesday to decide Williams’ fate.

Meanwhile, [Jackie] Moore is rumored as a potential replacement for Williams if Mets hitting coach Don Baylor isn’t available. Sources say Mets GM Jim Duquette won’t stand in the way of Baylor joining the Astros.

Baylor, the former Cubs and Rockies manager, is credited with helping Richard Hidalgo regain his power stroke after the Astros dumped him on the Mets because Williams no longer wanted Hidalgo in the Astros’ starting lineup.

Ex-Astro Phil Garner, the former Brewers and Tigers manager; and Astros third-base coach Gene Lamont, the former manager of the Pirates and White Sox, are two other potential replacements for Williams.
    . . .

"Would be sweet if Baylor could help Bagwell "regain his power stroke"

Killer B as a Manager -- Uncle Drayton has got to Fire Jimy.

2. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

We have a good relationship with the Mets. Hunsicker was allowed to talk to themabout the GM spot, while Baylor is allowed to talk to us.

I'd put my money on it that it's a done deal.:) Here comes the winning streak and the wild card! And it seems like wild card teams are prone to winning the WS these days!:D

3. hjg877

hjg877 Member

OH THANK GOD!!!!

THERE IS A LORD!!!!!!!!!

LOL!

Wow, now THAT was quick! Who needs a hitting coach now? :p

I expect the 'Astros are racist' remarks to disappear.

FINALLY A WINNER!!!!! I HOPE IT'S TRUE!!!!!

4. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I wouldn't mind him doubling as manager and hitting coach.

5. moligity

That's right, I didn't think of that. Hopefully, Drayton's goodwill last winter towards the Mets will payoff. Do you think they'll take Weathers back?

6. hjg877

hjg877 Member

I was just thinking about a possible immenent and new staff in the next week.

Don Baylor - manager.
    Robin Yount - hitting coach
    Gene Lamont - 3B coach
    Jose Cruz - 1B coach
    Phil Garner - bench coach

I would say Dierker, but it wouldn't be good bringing in a retread, especially with a core used to his style that they may become lackluster.

I really anticipate the All-Star game player/coach intros when Jimy will be announced. That will be weird for him, knowing it's the last time he will coach on that field.

I fully expect to hear 'FIRE JIMY!' or boos.

7. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

:D

If it was the Weathers of a few years ago, i'm sure they'd take him back.

8. Buck Turgidson

This is a good thing. Now bring back Mike Maddux as pitching coach.

The players still have to play.

9. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Good news, but Buck is right. If the players don't play, it doesn't matter who is manager.

10. DanHiggsBeard

DanHiggsBeard Member

Agreed, but something has to be done and replacing a manager is obviously the wasiest thing to do.

At the very least they should bring in a new hitting coach.

At any rate, something WILL happen before the 2nd half.

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

The Mets would dare deny a coach to manage another team? Who planted the Baylor to Houston? Baylor? Mets? Or are the 'stros already pursuing it? Did Justice's column bring the race card to the line up card?

Is Cheo not worthy of managerial consideration?

My favorite choice? Bigg as player - manager thru the paly offs, then full time manager thereafter.

12. moligity

That's right, it's oviously not all Jimy's fault. He's not been the one stricking out or meekly popping up with runners on base.

But the team is so flat and needs a change, maybe for the sake of change. Jimy's moves get magnified because they've all seemed to backfire during this rut.

Also, I think Baylor can help our hitters out, even if the effect is merely psychological (although the way he's helped out Gallaraga and Hidalgo, it's got to be more than psychological). There's no guarantee that we'll start hitting again once (if) we get Baylor, but you've got to try something -- you can't fire the players.

13. moligity

Uncle Drayton is a self proclaimed fan of Baylor, according to Justice.

14. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Obviously the players have been in a collective slump, but here are some issues I have with Williams (in no particular order):

1. The early inning bunt. Williams admitted this has been successful due to the number of 1st inning runs the Astros have scored. At the time he said that, (a couple of weeks ago), they were 7th in the league in 1st inning runs. Most teams do not have their 2nd hitter bunt when their leadoff hitter is on in the 1st inning. Prior to moving Everett out of the 2 spot, Williams did it regardless of pitching matchups.

2. What's with the lineup? Statistically this year, the hitters have hit best in this order: Biggio, Beltran, Bagwell, Kent, Berkman. Why was it necessary to have Beltran hit 3rd when he was hitting 2nd in KC? If he's going to bat Bagwell 2nd, he might as well bat Beltran 2nd. If he was going to keep Everett 2nd, then I agree with Beltran 3rd.

3. For the most part, having his tied/leading bullpen guys (Weathers, Miceli, Dotel, Lidge) only pitch whent he game is tied or the Astros are leading. It has been plain to see that the other guys (for the most part) have been bad, yet he tends to bring them in in the 6th or 7th inning if the Astros are losing by 1 or 2 runs. Then the deficit has been turning into 3-4 runs.

4. Not allowing pitchers to work out of jams, especially those that aren't their doing (for the most part). Case in point: During Duckworth's last start a pop fly should have been caught by Kent or Beltran but fell in. This led to the pitcher getting a hit and RBI. Duckworth was removed. While no more runs scored that inning (even though Gallo had to also be removed) 2 runs scored the folllowing inning to turn a 3-2 game into a 5-2 game). With the execption of Clemens, Oswalt, Lidge and Pettitte, every other current pitcher HAS to be looking over his shoulder when a runner gets on base.

5. Last year when Ensberg was on fire, he still sat quite often in lieu of Blum. This year, with Lamb hitting well, Ensberg has stayed in the lineup most of the time. It was expecially galling that Lamb did not get one AB during the Seattle series even though they threw 3 right handers and the DH was in effect. I know there was a death in his family at that time, but he was with the team. Since his HR barrage last weekend agains the Rangers, he is 1-21.

15. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

All Jimy's fault? No, but it is his job to light a fire under his players when they're not performing up to par. Take Hidalgo for example. He leaves and his new managers helps him get back to his old self, almost instantly.

Luis Gonzales did the same thing when he left. His new batting coach in Arizona tweaked his batting stance, and he became an All-Star.

Jimy's job is to find why it's broke before it's broke. And that he is not doing.

16. bobrek

Please let us know what is the "old self" of Hidalgo? Is it the budding superstar of 2000? The flop of 2001-2002? The comback player of 2003? The all-world of April 2004? The miserable player of May - mid-June of 2004? The stud of mid-June to early July? or the pedestrian Hidalgo (.241, .290 OBP) of the past week?

17. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I pick this one.

Do disagree with my post other than my possible over valuation of Hildalgo?

18. deepellumrocket

Well, he is on the Board of Regents there isn't he?

:p

19. bobrek

I think Williams is as much to blame as the players. It is his job to recognize and use the talents of the players on hand. He seems to overestimate the value of the bullpen at the expense of the starters.

20. Buck Turgidson

Hidalgo's *always* been an extremely streaky hitter. Only time will tell if his recent resurgence is anything other than the same 'ol streaky Hidalgo. To say that he's somehow "fixed" now is way premature.

The coaches in Detroit & Cubtown didn't fix Gonzo's swing either, fyi.